Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 12:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How many of you still listen to new music?
PostPosted: Jul Thu 27, 2017 6:08 pm 

I was born in 1946 but MY MUSIC is the pop music of the period between 1920 and 1940. But one thing I can't stand is hearing the Top 10 hits of anybody more than once every few years... Someone long ago claimed that less than 30% of recorded music of that period has ever been transferred to CD.... Surely a large percentage of the remainder could rank as Well... rank! BUT that means that here is still a lot of 'new' old stuff to be found and appreciated.... My go-to guy for that sort of stuff use to be the late Rich Conaty... About the only remaining folks I've found to do justice to the period is the duo of Mike Plasket & Dale Abraham on WESA (Rhythm Sweet & Hot) But they only provide a two hour transfusion per week which still leaves me anemic.

Robert

PostPosted: Jul Thu 27, 2017 7:00 pm 

Along the lines of the constant top ten over and over, we all remember Debbie Boones' You Light Up My Life!! They played that song at least three times an hour and I was sick of it! Still can't stand it!

PostPosted: Jul Thu 27, 2017 7:24 pm 

I'm one who tries to like newer music, but overall, I don't care for much. There are exceptions, of course. "The Sound of Silence" by Disturbed is really great! "Strict Machine" by Goldfrapp is pretty good. Recently discovered Nox Arcana, which is almost all instrumental. I suppose the genre would be called "Gothic." However, their version of "Scarborough Fair" is very cool. Different lyrics. Add to those Mannheim Steamroller, Blue Man Group, Trans Siberian Orchestra, Ixtahuele, Mr. Ho's Orchestrotica, the Tokyo Panorama Mambo Boys, the Martini Kings. That's the short list. "Newer" music.
I cannot stand any country music out there anymore. IMNSHO, it quit being country back in the late 80s or so with all the "All hat, no cattle" singers/bands. Obviously, there are probably songs I would like, but since I don't listen to the radio stations that play it, I don't hear them unless someone sends me a link via Facebook.
Right now, I'm streaming Les Baxter's LP "Ports Of Pleasure."
RW

PostPosted: Jul Thu 27, 2017 8:16 pm 

radiowizard wrote:
Les Baxter

Now there is a real musician! I could listen to his version of Unchained Melody (1955) forever.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 28, 2017 2:07 am 

My favorite band of all time is Shriekback, and they broke up in 1992. But the lead singer, Barry Andrews, I think could never be anything but a musician, and has continued to produce music ever since, releasing a new album every few years. A few weeks ago, Shriekback played their first live gig since 1992. I'm hopeful they might eventually play some American venues and I'll get to see them finally.

When I started collecting radios in 2012, I started listening to music again and have found some great new stuff. Gotye is awesome (a lot like Peter Gabriel), Lorde I like, and as a stretch, Die Antwoord is off the hook!, can't get enough of them.

I also started listening to the local AM oldies station (880 KIXI) and have started learning a lot of older music I never listened to when I was younger. So it's weird... Yes, 80s synth pop is forever (Depeche Mode), but I'm learning lots of new stuff both older and newer in the last 5 years.

My t-shirt I was wearing today... Shriekback's albums.

Attachments:
shriekshirt.jpg
shriekshirt.jpg [ 62.38 KiB | Viewed 1471 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Fri 28, 2017 2:10 am 

Gotye?

Hold the phone, it's so State of the Art! :D

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Jul Fri 28, 2017 2:17 am 

Model D-575!

Here's a Barry Andrews song not to miss, "14:1".

https://youtu.be/zn_VpXtdXh0

PostPosted: Jul Fri 28, 2017 5:16 am 

not me

I was born in 1970.

around 1993-1994 when groups such as: hootie and the blowfish, spice girls, atlantis morisette, spin doctors, soundgarden, savage garden, hanson, en vogue, and all that other horrible horse $h!t in the early 90's started spewing out of my speakers , I was done, very done and never looked back.

I started building my extensive music collection that consists of everything from rock, country, adult contemporary, soul, r and b, top 40, hair, disco, alternative, metal, easy listening, and crooners that covers the 1950's to about 1992.

we are talking about 5k songs in the playlist as of this summer.

it is quite the extensive collection with everything from deano to kiss and even more in between.

steve

PostPosted: Jul Fri 28, 2017 9:51 pm 

I would have to agree, something changed in the early 1990s. Music wasn't the same quality, though I did find some good stuff. It was just few and far between.
I remember Madonna's "Vogue" was the last song of hers I liked.

Dutch Rabbit wrote:
atlantis morisette,

I got a good chuckle from that one! :lol:
I didn't find anything of hers I liked.

Probably my favorite 1990s song is a rather obscure one by Steve Winwood. "Reach for the Light" which was the theme song to the movie Balto.

btw, do you have any music by Ultravox? Perhaps "Reap the Wild Wind"? I love that song! :D

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Jul Fri 28, 2017 11:00 pm 

hi steve,

nope, don't have that one.

vogue was ok, but it got on my nerves and was gut wrenching just like the other crap of that era and beyond.

steve

PostPosted: Jul Fri 28, 2017 11:36 pm 

Some old music that you won't hear on classic rock: the tall guy who seems to be chewing something is the notorious drunkard, Long John Baldry. The woman is Julie Driscoll, and the short guy in shades with the bad teeth is Eric Burdon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTmlBiIRk_I

PostPosted: Jul Sat 29, 2017 5:42 am 

I listen to the local college alt rock station all the time, but am a child of the 80s so have a vast 80s collection. That being said, I listen to just about anything but disco, pop (molly cyrus, justine beaver, lady gagme, etc), and rap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nqRkAsZumc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugqUtjMeB-s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTgKRCXybSM

PostPosted: Jul Sat 29, 2017 8:15 am 

I collect 78's so ya got an idea what I listen BUT my tastes range from Caruso to Hendrix..just depends on my mood.

Look for old bands making new music. I am a HUGE Kansas fan. Lifelong Kansas resident doesn't hurt too. Prelude Implicit is their latest release from late 2016. Kansas fans received it with fantastic reviews. The professional critics all gave it good reviews.

I was informed Styx has a new release also with some of that old sound back again.

Don't forget any given Friday and Saturday night if you live in or near a larger town there's fantastic great live music to be had. All ya gotta do is search it out.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 30, 2017 11:20 pm 

I generally appreciate all types of music, at least to some degree. Nothing like surfing YouTube listening to songs that pop into my head from days gone by. Having graduated in 1985, and growing up in a household where The Beach Boys, Bobby Vinton, Elvis and Engelbert Humperdinck reigned supreme, I do tend to gravitate towards music from the 60's and 70's, but the 80's are really where I belong. Other than picking up an Adele CD for my wife every now and then, I do not believe I have purchased any "new" music for myself in at least 15 years.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 12, 2017 2:40 am 

The only (relatively) new music that I listen to are the Taylor Swift vinyl albums, and especially her '1989' album as that rocks!
'

PostPosted: Aug Sun 13, 2017 8:35 pm 

I listen to both old rock music (which is, by far, my favorite), but there also fairly new bands that I like. It's a matter of taste, and while I agree that a lot of the new music produced today doesn't really appeal to me, there are a bunch of bands that I do love and listen to frequently.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 16, 2017 12:36 am 

My friend just had me watch a music video on YouTube that I found pretty intriguing -- The Sound of Silence by Disturbed.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 16, 2017 12:38 am 

I gave up listening to any new music long ago. Today's "popular" artists have no talent and most all the songs sound the same with the same repetitive beat. I doubt if any of them can play a musical instrument. I like to listen to rock/pop music from the 50's, 60's and 70's and there was a lot of talent and creativity that went into those songs. I was riding in a car one day that was tuned to a country station and every single song sounded the same. Is that really what people want to hear or is that what the music industry wants to "feed" us? :evil:

PostPosted: Aug Wed 16, 2017 5:59 am 

Not my genre but this is kinda neat;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqi3CSGJnds

the one does a passable bettie page lol

PostPosted: Aug Wed 16, 2017 6:38 am 

db gain wrote:
Not my genre but this is kinda neat;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqi3CSGJnds

the one does a passable bettie page lol
It's a pleasant ditty but they achieve it by mimicking past greats, like (speaking of 'modern' rockabilly in general) guitar riffs from Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Eddie Cochran, Carl Perkins, Scotty Moore, etc.. It's nostalgic but not "original."

It's so close you can almost sync them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FiD678VvnE except Eddie Cochran was over 50 years ago.