Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 11, 2017 10:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: is HP3964 recorder collectible?
PostPosted: Oct Thu 12, 2017 6:15 pm 

I am trying to gain space in my shop and decided the old HP3964 recorder will have to go. I have had it for over 15 years and never used it. I tried powering it up and it seems to move tape ok, but could not check the record/playback functions. Is this usable as an audio recorder, or strictly instrumentation? Is it even collectible?If it is, I could list it on the for sale section, but it such a heavy beast that any shipping would be costly. Any information or recommendations on what I should do would be appreciated.

Attachments:
IMG_4661.jpg
IMG_4661.jpg [ 97.24 KiB | Viewed 409 times ]

Last edited by JohnSchw on Oct Thu 12, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: is HP3694 recorder collectible?
PostPosted: Oct Thu 12, 2017 6:41 pm 

Unfortunately I could not find any manual for free (one on ebay for $80). The units tends to sell for between $100 and $200 and because of the weight they are often listed "for pick up only". Otherwise the shipping would cost way more than the unit itself (that beast looks like if weighs a hundred pounds).

Could it be used for audio? I think so. There is even a Microphone input on it. Without a manual it is hard to tell much.

It looks like it is designed to do 4 channels in a calibrated fashion so that the input voltages being recorded are the same as the output voltages being produced.

From http://www.alliancetesteq.com/equipment ... t-hp-3964a

Quote:
The Agilent 3964A Tape Recorder is a four channel recorder; 1/4 inch tape; Speeds: 15, 7 1/2, 3 3/4, 1 7/8, 15/16, 15/32 IPS.

It is selectable FM or direct electronics, remote control (TTL), and for switch selection of tach or tape servo.
One seller said he had checked his out and it was completely working, but that he had not used a tape!!! How do you really check out a recorder without tape??? I suppose that is like the people who "restore" radios by wiping off the dust.

At this site I found the following http://hpmemoryproject.org/wb_pages/wall_b_page_14c.htm

Quote:
The HP 3964A,
Instrumentation Tape Recorder

As late as the end of the 1970s, internal computer memories were far too small to be able to serve as measurement data storage, especially those data streams generated by wideband signals. Auxiliary storage was the answer.

Consequently, even in 1977, the Instrumentation Tape Recorder like the HP 3964A, shown on the left, was introduced as a new product in the general catalog. One key feature was its desirable portability, and yet impressive data performance.

The Model 3964A, 4-channel, utilizing a 1/4-inch (6.3 mm) tape width format, was designed to meet the demand of the individual and OEM users.

The 3964A has one four-track record head, and one four-track reproduce head using in-line track configuration. Possible tape speeds are the following: 1.19, 2.38, 4.75, 9.52, 19.05, and 38.10 cm/s. The 3964A passband is 70 to 64,000 Hz, at maximum tape speed.
Oh, you transposed numbers in the title of your posting.

Best of luck,

Curtis Eickerman

Post subject: Re: is HP3964 recorder collectible?
PostPosted: Oct Sat 14, 2017 10:33 pm 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
I had a guy record 2 turntables at once playing CD-4 quadraphonic LPs on an FM recorder like that. Even though it says ``only goes down to 70Hz'' it has a better bass response than that. And yes you could demodulate the CD-4 off the tape if you did as he did and recorded flat (no RIAA) and piped it back through the CD-4 demodulator as-is. Craziest thing you ever did see.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 17, 2017 4:11 pm 

Thanks for the information. Now I have a decision to make! As I have not used this recorder in 15+ years, and have no plans to, I would like it to find a new home where someone would appreciate it. Since it is too heavy to practically ship, I would like to offer it free to whoever can pick it up. It was a very expensive piece of equipment in its day and HP has quality equipment, so I suspect it still has a lot of life left in it.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 20, 2017 9:42 pm 

Well put it on ebay for a dollar for pickup only. I had a Linn turntable that I did not want to mess with so I put it on ebay for 5 bucks pickup only. It was gone in 20 minutes.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 27, 2017 3:08 pm 

Too bad you're so far from GA otherwise I'd be interested.

My advice would be to ask on one of the vintage computer forums and see if anyone would be interested there.