Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 17, 2017 9:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Fender Blues Jr. failed caps
PostPosted: Oct Fri 27, 2017 12:59 pm 

Old radios don’t have the corner on the market for failed power supply capacitors. I bought a used Fender Blues Jr. off Craigslist last week that seemed to work fine. I think it was built in 2003. It’s my first tube amp and I really like the sounds from it.
Last night, I decided to pull the cover off the back and clean it up as it was really dusty, and to just look over the construction. I knew going in that it is a lower end, PC board based, tube amp, (3-12AX7, 2-EL34) so I was not expecting much, but what really surprised me was the (3)22uf@450V axial electrolytic capacitors where puking their guts out, and the 47uf@450V was bulging. I had some replacement caps on hand from Sal, and it didn’t take long to tear it down and replace these 4 caps. I can’t believe how much of a difference that it makes for the sounds. It’s like night and day.
I would have never guessed that a device this new would have bad caps in it, but at least I caught it. Should be good for a while now.

Post subject: Re: Fender Blues Jr. failed caps
PostPosted: Oct Fri 27, 2017 11:18 pm 

My son played for five years in a Jazz band with that amp. Great sound, but after six months the 12ax7's started falling out of the sockets, so I made a bracket with springs for them. By the third year I had to replace all the sockets with some nice ceramic ones. Leo Fender must be spinning in his grave at the quality of the builds. Still, a beauty of a little amp. I think my ears like 6bQ5's in push-pull...

David