Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 1:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Carpenters complete album set rereleased on records.
PostPosted: Nov Tue 21, 2017 3:16 am 

I just received the complete set of Carpenters albums in the mail today from Amazon. A&M has rereleased all of the original albums on 180g vinyl presented nicely in a padded box. I have all of the original albums and the new ones look almost exactly the same except the new ones have a bar code and a 2017 copyright. The jackets and inner sleeves are faithful to the originals. It's a 12 album set and apparently Richard gave his blessing. I must say I'm enjoying the recent trend of classic albums being recut. I have Todd Rundgren-Something Anything and Carole King with the City-Now That Everything's Been Said.

Post subject: Re: Carpenters complete album set rereleased on records.
PostPosted: Nov Tue 21, 2017 6:00 pm 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
They needed to do two more sets: one where every album was remastered into SQ quadraphonic and the other set remastered into CD-4 quadraphonic using the original mixes.

I especially like Jambalaya and Top of the World in SQ and Close to You in CD-4.

They also needed to do it in DMM Super45Sonic and on colored vinyl that matches the color of the covers and colored labels and......

PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2017 12:04 am 

I couldn't agree more :-) I have the singles album and the Now and Then album in SQ Quad. I also have Horizon in CD-4 quad. Maybe those mixes could have been released in SACD.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2017 3:55 am 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
DarrenWGaransi wrote:
Maybe those mixes could have been released in SACD.
After Richard dies maybe. Both the CD-4 and SQ mixes were done by staff engineers at A&M - not by THEIR mixers (Gerhardt and Young) - so Richard has ALWAYS hated them.

He hates the Q-8 only mixes worse than that - especially the ones that take a single rear channel and split it bass-and-treble across the two rear channels.

There's a tryout Japanese quad reel only mix of 1969-1973 that was done for U.S. Servicemen serving in the Orient during the Vietnam War that he ``tolerates'' (doesn't go ballistic wanting to stomp all over the copy in question and smash it to smithereens) because it has the discrete pre-mix for Jambalaya and Top of the World as bonus tracks - both of which sound very wide like a 60's three-track mix.

But normal LP turntables of the early 70s (not the audiophile kind) couldn't track the high-vertical-component mixes that show up on the SQ titles you mention - and U.S. CD-4 being half-speed-mastered before all the improvements to the technology came out - had a top-heavy and thin sound (other than the Japanese direct import editions which sounded just as good as a stereo record played on stereo equipment) - so he didn't like the sound of AMERICAN CD-4 either - not even in stereo.

He also hates the fact that the original issues go for pennies apiece in thrift shops, you can't GIVE the singles away even the Mono/Stereo white label vinyl promo copies (all A&M singles were pressed by CBS and therefore all styrene) and people are trading the Q8s for sometimes hundreds of dollars each.

So if anybody ever finds a Japanese QR of The Singles - they should pick it up.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2017 4:32 am 

Nice! The Carpenters are amongst my favorites.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2017 1:14 pm 

Wow thanks for the information. I knew Richard wasn't a fan of the quad mixes but the oldies suite on the now and then album does sound pretty good through my Lafayette SQ-W decoder. Only Yesterday from the Horizon album sounds really good in CD-4 when decoded on my Marantz. He should try not to take the audio purity thing to heart. He definately does have high standards though. No wonder the quality of their output was stellar. It has definately stood the test of time.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 23, 2017 9:10 am 

Thats great news.I always love the Carpenters music and also hearing Connecticut natives hitting it big.The Carpenters were my dads favorite ,He was crushed when Karen passed away.