Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 18, 2018 7:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Gift Guitar changes George's sound 1969
PostPosted: Feb Sun 18, 2018 8:22 pm 

Speaking of the Beatles, well at least I was ..... :lol:

Let It Be is pretty much a McCartney solo effort. I know John had minimal input, just a bit of background oohs and ahs. The video shows John playing a Fender Bass VI, which is a 6 string tuned one octave low. But word is that George Martin got Paul to lay down the bass track, and of course that is what we hear on the recordings.

About 5 minutes into the song, we finally hear Billy Preston's organ break and then George sounding kind of raunchy. At that time, his signature sound was a melodic slide, as heard on My Sweet Lord or Isn't It a Pity. What happened?
Turns out he'd just received a gift guitar, a Fender Telecaster, and not just a run of the mill blond plank, this one is solid rosewood. He can be seen playing it in the rooftop performances as well.
Anyway, it changed his sound for a few recordings, and that Let It Be guitar break saves the song in my mind, at least. Good old George, spanking the plank. 8)

Oh yeah, he gave the guitar to Delaney Bramlett while they were on tour a little while later. I like to think he was keeping his slate clean, no corporate influences thank you. It is a beautiful guitar.

Last edited by westcoastjohn on Mar Sun 04, 2018 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Gift Guitar changes George's sound 1970
PostPosted: Feb Mon 19, 2018 4:49 pm 

Interesting information! I'm a Beatle fan, my first album I ever bought was Meet The Beatles, 2.98 mono, 3.98 stereo! One of my favorite songs is Day In The Life, sung by John. I was really disappointed when Martin commented that John hated the song.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 19, 2018 11:57 pm 

SteveT wrote:
I was really disappointed when Martin commented that John hated the song.
I'm trying now to picture why someone reported that George Martin said that John said ..... What did John say? He probably said he hated George Martin over dubbing the bagpipes before the piano crescendo. Or he hated the way it turned his green onion into a glass one. :lol:

I don't get how John would hate the song, the most influential pop song of the decade, misquoted out of context no doubt. Maybe he hated the way that song changed his life, because I think it did.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 20, 2018 7:34 pm 

Somewhere in my collection of Beatles DVD's there are interviews and George Martin himself said that! If I come across it I will note the name of the DVD and mention it here. I'm thinking it was about the making of Sargent Pepper.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 20, 2018 8:17 pm 

Thanks, Steve. I must have seen segments from that interview and don't doubt that was said. Just wondering about it.

I heard so much Beatles on the radio and at friend's houses, I never felt the compulsion to buy any of their albums. Then in the mid 70's, I found John's Wall and Bridges cassette in the K-mart bargain bin. I remember feeling a bit sad about that, bought the cassette.
I see they were the Plastic Ono Nuclear Band at that time. The reason I'm saying this is that it struck me that he predicted his own death on that album, but few people noticed.

'Hatred and jealousy, are Gonna be the death of me, I guess I knew it right from the start". I'm Scared, Walls and Bridges, 1974.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 23, 2018 10:17 pm 

Well speaking of George's Telly, at least I was ...... :lol:

The Telecaster has 2 single coil pickups mounted on a flat maple plank, and a distinctive nasal sort of tone.
Great Telecaster performers.
Muddy Waters - one of the early masters. Edit - Buddy Guy plays a polka dot Strat.
Otis Rush - played left-handed, but never changed the strings on his right-handed Telecaster. So to bend the high strings higher, he would pull down, way down, rather than pushing up the way most players do.
Country - lots of players adopted the Telly when it came out in about 1953. If you saw Buck Owens and the Buckaroos on B&W TV, you saw them picking Tellys, and lead guitar Don ? was quite a hot picker. Waylon Jennings picked one dressed in leather, I mean the guitar as well as Waylon.
James Burton has a recognizable Telecaster sound, backed up Ricky Nelson and toured with Elvis.
Merle Haggard looked natural surrounded by Telecasters, and he could pick a streak, too.

Check out Jimmy Page playing his Telecaster - Yardbirds, Heart Full of Soul. I think a Jeff Beck live performance on a Telly predates that video, so that would mean Beck created the guitar riff for that tune originally. Dazed and Confused, the Yardbirds version, Page removes the 5th string and plays the Telly with a cello bow.

Keith Richards always keeps a few Tellys on stage. Some are tuned open, some have only 5 strings. To play Honky Tonk Women, remove the low E string and tune the rest to an open D chord. Now you can be staggering drunk and stoned and still lead the band. :lol:
Robbie Robertson always seems to have a Telly, and he can be heard on dozens of albums beside The Band LP's. 'Ophelia' is a good example. Backup for Ronnie Hawkins before that. Later work, Showdown at Big Sky has some great twangy Telecaster tone. Then there's Springsteen. Mellancamp, and the rest.

Check out Otis Rush. So Many Roads, So many trains to ride. Correct me if I'm wrong ... I have a pic that shows him with an upside-down Strat. After that, he switched to a red left-handed Gibson, but with the strings upside down.

Last edited by westcoastjohn on Mar Sun 04, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 12:09 am 

Many of John's later interviews made him sound like one angry hippy! The man had a lot of drive, and it shows.

Really miss George. His comeback single 'Blow Away' was a master stroke. loved Tom Petty's story about George's Ukuleles.

Saw Paul McCartney last year in concert. He played an instrument, either piano, guitar, or his famous Hofner bass, through most songs, with one notable exception, when he stood alone in front of the mic and sang the lyrics to the song, 'The End':

"And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make."

Even in his 70's the reason he is a Rock legend is readily apparent.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 12:25 am 

Paul is left-handed, but had to learn a right-handed keyboard, at least I don't think they make a left-handed piano. Maybe for Paul today, they'd make an exception.
Bur he plays a rocking left hand on the keys.

Hey Bulldog is said to be John's response to Lady Madonna, written and performed mostly by Paul. The story is they went into the studio to film them playing Lady Madonna, already recorded. So John brings in a sheet of lyrics and they record Hey Bulldog. One of their best tunes.

Ringo is left-handed, too, but plays a right-handed drum kit. Kids, you want to drum for your money like Ringo? Get a left-handed drum kit if you're right-handed. Reaching over causes Ringo's unique timing, sort of a delay, as heard on Come Together. That I got from the YouTube interview with Elvis C.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 12:36 am 

Hendrix was left handed too. Hmmm...

LOVE Hey Bulldog, hadn't heard the story. Now I have to hear it again! :D

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 12:40 am 

Also, what's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?

Love that EC cover.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 4:27 am 

Sol wrote:
Hendrix was left handed too. Hmmm...

LOVE Hey Bulldog, hadn't heard the story. Now I have to hear it again! :D
Hendrix turned the strings around, so the angle of the bridge was kind of wrong. His unique techniques evolved from that partly and having the Strat body upside down. He could shift the tone knob with his wrist and the whammy bar was above the bridge.

I'm left-handed but learned guitar right-handed, glad I did. More versatile that way. Chainsaw is another one, ever try to hold a chainsaw left-handed? Learn to use your right for the trigger and it becomes natural.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention another notable Telecaster player, Steve Cropper. Studio player for Stax Records, Sam and Dave and played the same licks on the same tunes for the Blues Brothers.

Post subject: Re: Gift Guitar changes George's sound 1969
PostPosted: Mar Sun 18, 2018 3:55 am 

As a Stax studio player, Steve Cropper can be heard on dozens of hit records, but especially with his fellow bandmates Booker T Jones and Duck Dunn. "Green Onions", a good example of his Telecaster sound. He adds a snarl to his notes that is recognizable. Classic Telecaster tone.

George does it too, when it suits the song.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 22, 2018 12:25 am 

Could you list some more recommendations?

Stax records was the bomb. But don't take it from me, take it from my Isaac Hayes (pre-disco) collection.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 22, 2018 3:07 am 

Sol wrote:
Could you list some more recommendations?

Stax records was the bomb. But don't take it from me, take it from my Isaac Hayes (pre-disco) collection.
More what? Booker T? Time is Tight, Hip Hug Her.

Steve Cropper? "Through 1966 and 1967, Stax and its subsidiaries hit their stride, regularly scoring hits with artists such as Otis Redding, Sam and Dave, Carla Thomas, William Bell, Booker T. & the M.G.'s, Eddie Floyd, the Bar-Kays, Albert King, and the Mad Lads".

PostPosted: Mar Thu 22, 2018 2:51 pm 

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mar Fri 23, 2018 6:21 pm 

https://www.staxrecords.com/pages/playlists

Hip Hug-Her got quite a bit of airplay in my area, about 1967. It is in the first column of tunes here. Classic Steve Cropper on that tune. He didn't take the lead that much, but would play just enough to make you notice, hey, there's a cool guitar lick in that tune.

But I was talking about George, and George was exceptional in that he was always developing and changing his style. He really worked at his playing and you can hear it in his music.
He went from rockabilly on the big Gretsch like Ticket to Ride, then the Indian influence comes out in the tune How does it feel to be, One of the Beautiful People?
He got a Stratocaster and his style changed again, and tunes like Revolution and Helter Skelter are George on a Gibson with lots of distortion. His song writing was always evolving too. Who ever heard of a pop song in 7/4 time? Here Comes the Sun.

Last edited by westcoastjohn on Apr Tue 10, 2018 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 23, 2018 9:16 pm 

Beautiful People - very influential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK2Aa4Ylk2M&list=RDPK2Aa4Ylk2M

PostPosted: Mar Fri 23, 2018 9:57 pm 

Here's some more history on the song.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_It_Be_(song)

jason

PostPosted: Mar Fri 23, 2018 11:48 pm 

I never thought Sir George was very much of a lead guitar player. Many if not most of the really killer guitar solos are played by Paul McCartney, and to a lesser extent, John Lennon. As a band they were further deluded by the massive amounts of drugs (very bad lead to the kids) so they apparently started to believe the hype. By 1966 they couldn't tour anymore and retreated to the studio and put out wildly uneven "rubbish" as many people called it. The "White Album" barely has enough decent material to make a single album, but they insisted on making it a double. Multi-gazillionaire hippies hectoring us poor benighted folks about materialism. Yeah no I'll stick with Buddy Guy, thanks.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 24, 2018 1:41 am 

Ted wrote:
I never thought Sir George was very much of a lead guitar player. Many if not most of the really killer guitar solos are played by Paul McCartney, and to a lesser extent, John Lennon. As a band they were further deluded by the massive amounts of drugs (very bad lead to the kids) so they apparently started to believe the hype. By 1966 they couldn't tour anymore and retreated to the studio and put out wildly uneven "rubbish" as many people called it. The "White Album" barely has enough decent material to make a single album, but they insisted on making it a double. Multi-gazillionaire hippies hectoring us poor benighted folks about materialism. Yeah no I'll stick with Buddy Guy, thanks.

Your post is a load of crud. Anyone with a working pair or ears can recognize George's guitar playing the solos on 95+% of Beatles records. The Beatles chose not to tour anymore because they didn't enjoy not being able to hear themselves over the screaming girls and chose to concentrate on making records. George was an excellent lead guitar player. Note that George played the slide solo on the Cream record Badge because he was invited by none other than Eric Clapton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeGyQIgvSV0