Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Wed 24, 2017 5:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Did the 1954 Introduction of Color TVs Kill the Competit
PostPosted: Dec Sat 24, 2016 1:15 am 

I collect old TV guides and not much was broadcasted in color in the 1950s. TV guides would list a show as COLOR next to the title. For example on December 16, 1956 at 8pm the Ed Sullivan show was Black and White but at 9pm the Dinah Shore show was the only show in color during prime time hours this night. Filming in color back in those days had to be super expensive.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 24, 2016 6:51 am 

clsoca wrote:
Filming in color back in those days had to be super expensive.

It was relatively expensive compared to B&W, which incidentally was the mainstay of B grade feature films well into the mid '60's.
At that point in time, however, feature film and television production turned to color, and that's when color sets began selling.

Consider as compared to today; would someone fork out the extra bucks for a set that could display 4K or 3D, given the dearth of that type of programming currently available? Sales of those sets will eventually come to fruition, once the available programming becomes abundant.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 25, 2016 6:33 pm 

I'm not so sure about 3D. It's had so many false starts down through the eons I'm not sure it will ever take off.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 08, 2017 5:09 am 

Greetings to the Forum:

I should point out that when Zenith did begin making color TV receivers, they used their own color demodulation scheme, developed in house and designed to circumvent the RCA patents so they didn't have to pay royalties to RCA.

It is to be supposed that that may have helped their bottom line, depending of course, on how long it took to amortize the R&D costs.

Regards,

PostPosted: Jan Sun 08, 2017 8:45 am 

You guys were lucky, here in Australia color tv was not until 1975!!!!!
The place is still backwards in many ways
Pete

PostPosted: Jan Sun 08, 2017 12:29 pm 

Jthorusen wrote:
Greetings to the Forum:

I should point out that when Zenith did begin making color TV receivers, they used their own color demodulation scheme, developed in house and designed to circumvent the RCA patents so they didn't have to pay royalties to RCA.

It is to be supposed that that may have helped their bottom line, depending of course, on how long it took to amortize the R&D costs.

Regards,

Wow, Jim, I didn't realize that! I knew Zenith used the sheet beam type of tube for color demodulation, but didn't realize it was their development to skirt RCA patents.

Just a quick google brings up a video of Dr. Robert Adler engineer at Zenith with the 6AR8 tube. Amazing! He was quite the engineer! :D
Sadly, its a sample video. I guess you have to buy the whole thing. :|

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 1:15 am 

vintage pete wrote:
Pete

Ouch!!

In the US by '75 B&W consoles were just about history, I believe last one we sold at Sears was in '73... That was a solid state built by GE... I used to get 5-7 year old color roundies for $25 to free in 1970... Rectangular had taken the CTV market by '67-'68, roundies were out of favor...

Tom

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 6:45 pm 

" TOM" Hi,, I was a kid in 1975 and I can remember the first color tv in the street,all us kids would sit outside their house watching it through their fly screen door ,than after a while the lady who owned the color tv would say,,thats all today boys come agsin another day,,,people would often say , oh that color tv it doesn"t look real hahahaha , I was 5 when i saw my first color tv and it was the first year Australia had color tv and that was 1975.

Now years have gone past and I collect black and white tvs from the 50s and 60s ,So it must be true color doesn"t look real
Pete

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 8:08 pm 

Attachment:
DSCN2241.jpg
DSCN2241.jpg [ 68.9 KiB | Viewed 829 times ]
Zenith did stick their toe into the color tv water in 1954 with this elaborate display. The display states that Zenith is using their own design, circuity and tricolor tube in the displayed prototype receiver. They also use the slogan "Living color" before RCA/NBC adopted it.

-Steve D.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 4:51 am 

vintage pete wrote:
I can remember the first color tv in the street,all us kids would sit outside their house watching it

I remember in the early-to-mid 1970s in Chicago, plenty of people (including my family) did not have color TV sets. My brother and I could usually tell which apartments had them by noticing that the flickering reflected light in the windows looked more "green" typically, versus the always-blue reflections from black-and-white TV sets.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 5:12 am 

35Z5 wrote:
vintage pete wrote:
Pete

Ouch!!

In the US by '75 B&W consoles were just about history, I believe last one we sold at Sears was in '73... That was a solid state built by GE... I used to get 5-7 year old color roundies for $25 to free in 1970... Rectangular had taken the CTV market by '67-'68, roundies were out of favor...

Tom

I recall that a few manufacturers kept making round screen sets for a couple of years after everyone else had quit, notably Philco, and I seem to remember later model Curtis Mathes and Muntz round screen sets as well.

Zenith was among the last manufacturers offering black and white consoles........we sold them mostly to senior citizens who had never had a color set and didn't see any real reason to upgrade when replacing an older set. I remember one elderly couple who went from a 1950ish DuMont 19" round screen B&W to a 1970's Zenith B&W, I still have the DuMont which we took as a trade in.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 1:02 pm 

My grandfather was a B&W TV holdout. He said he did not want a color TV!

His first TV was a Westinghouse console from 1953 or 54. The chassis in that set was amazing with a copper plating.
I still have the remains of the built-in UHF tuner which is a sight to behold. Made by Sarkes-Tarzian.

He upgraded to an Admiral console in the early 1970s and towards the end of his life bought a used table top set. I can't remember what brand it was because he had it for only a short time. He passed away in 1981.

At the old TV shop I worked at, we often had one or two old B&W Zenith consoles we kept operational to sell to senior citizens who wanted them. I was surprised how often that happened.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 11:18 pm 

There was a recession around 1957, which didn't help the straggler TV manufacturer companies any. Probably caused many of them to fold. That recession also didn't help Ford sell the Edsel line of cars they came out with then as well.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 5:27 pm 

wa2ise wrote:
There was a recession around 1957, which didn't help the straggler TV manufacturer companies any. Probably caused many of them to fold. That recession also didn't help Ford sell the Edsel line of cars they came out with then as well.

True. The "Sputnik Recession" took the steam out of the economy for a few quarters. Bounced back, though.

Would be interesting to research to see how many independent TV manufacturers folded in that timeframe. 8)

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 5:50 pm 

Well, we have our answer. It was Sputnik that killed more independents in the shortest time frame than any other event in the 50's.

Here is the list with the date of last production of televisions or the company going out of business during the 1957-58 Recession:

Air King 1957
Bell TV 1957
Bendix 1957
Crosley 1957
DeWald 1957
Gotham TV 1958
Hallicrafters 1958
Industrial Television 1957
Majestic (Wilcox-Gay) 1958
Mars Television 1957
Midwest Radio 1958
Muntz 1959
Pathe' USA 1957
Philharmonic Radio 1958
Pilot 1957
Raytheon-Belmont 1957
Scott USA 1957
Sentinel USA 1957
Stromberg-Carlson 1957
Trad 1958

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 6:14 pm 

wa2ise wrote:

A Ford Motor Co exec was quoted after the demise of Edsel:

"Our aim was perfect. The target moved."

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 11:10 pm 

[quote="M3-SRT8"]Well, we have our answer. It was Sputnik that killed more independents in the shortest time frame than any other event in the 50's.

Here is the list with the date of last production of televisions or the company going out of business during the 1957-58 Recession:

Muntz 1959

They must have reincarnated, Sam's has dozens of models in early/mid '60s listed, even a few color models...

PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 4:34 am 

M3-SRT8 wrote:
Well, we have our answer. It was Sputnik that killed more independents in the shortest time frame than any other event in the 50's.

Muntz 1959

They must have reincarnated, Sam's has dozens of models in early/mid '60s listed, even a few color models...

Baaaah, not able to edit the prior post, so this'll work...

PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 9:57 am 

35Z5 wrote:
M3-SRT8 wrote:

Muntz 1959

Baaaah, not able to edit the prior post, so this'll work...

Wooo. How 'bout that.

I got this info from "Television History - The First 75 Years." Which I'm sure most here have perused.

I put Muntz in even though it missed the 1957-58 window because I figured it was ultimately affected by the Sputnik Recession. 8)

PostPosted: Jan Sun 15, 2017 3:01 am 

I think it was a lightning strike that brought about color tv coming into our home around '67. A direct hit to the stacked antennas blew the wall-mounted switch to a blackened blast mark and fried every tube and then some in the old B&W set.

I don't remember the brand for sure, probably Magnavox, sold by local Karl's TV & Appliance from his flagship location in Gregory, SD. Elmer Karl is still alive and actively in the same business, grown to several locations.

Yes, he's always been that cheerful. When I was a frequent pest, er, I mean paying customer, coming into his shop as a young teen, he'd let me into the service area to bother the repair techs as well. :)
-Ed

Attachments:
ElmerKarl.jpg
ElmerKarl.jpg [ 18.43 KiB | Viewed 627 times ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 47 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next