Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Tue 25, 2017 7:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: GE 21T28
PostPosted: Feb Fri 17, 2017 3:27 am 

I might have the chance to get a GE 21T28 TV for free. The cabinet is in great condition and the insides look untouched. Is this a nice TV, worth the space it will take up? Any information regarding pitfalls, positives, etc. are appreciated for I have never attempted to restore a tube TV, only radios.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/general_el ... t28_u.html

Thanks,
Noah

Post subject: Re: GE 21T28
PostPosted: Feb Fri 17, 2017 3:32 am 

It's a typical mid-50's 21" TV, of which plenty have survived of various brands and models. Therefore, not something of interest to most collectors who prefer earlier sets with smaller, round CRT's, or sets which are somewhat unique like the Predictas.

Having said that, it would still be a good set to learn TV restoration on since it's free and you would only need to purchase parts to do the restoration. First though, you need to find someone with a CRT tester to check the set's CRT to make 100% certain it is good enough to use. You wouldn't want to have to purchase even a used CRT to get it going, as that would cost you more than the set would ever be worth.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 17, 2017 2:19 pm 

Thanks for the info Mr. Detrola. Is there an easy test to see if the CRT is bad, or is a tester the only way?

Thanks again,
Noah

PostPosted: Feb Fri 17, 2017 3:42 pm 

You should get a set like that, untested, for $25-$50, so it would be worth taking a risk with the CRT. Odds are, unless the neck looks damaged, it'll be fine. Although the collector desirability is very low on that type of set, it will likely be a good player and not a particularly difficult chassis to work on. Good luck!

PostPosted: Feb Fri 17, 2017 7:24 pm 

A CRT tester is the only way.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 10, 2017 10:05 pm 

Well, it is in my garage...I am going to slowly move it in so Mom doesn't freak out too much :twisted:

PostPosted: Mar Sat 11, 2017 12:32 am 

wowsk wrote:
Well, it is in my garage...I am going to slowly move it in so Mom doesn't freak out too much :twisted:

When I was a kid I had to do to do the same thing. everything I brought home was "junk" to them, and I wasn't encouraged to follow my interests in electronics. Dad was a CPA, and had a hard time with a screwdriver lol.
Good luck with your GE TV (and Mom, too), and above all, don't be discouraged. I now have a basement full of Stromberg-Carlson products, and a few 50s RCA color sets. :D
Kevin

PostPosted: Mar Sat 11, 2017 2:56 am 

wowsk, Where do you live? There may be someone that lives nearby that has a CRT tester. A regular tube tester would be useful also. So after cleaning it up some the next thing to do is re-capping. Capacitors don't cost very much. It would be worth it just to learn on. Get the schematic.

LAG-27, LBO-517
5382A, 368, 260, 8024B

PostPosted: Mar Sat 11, 2017 3:37 am 

If you haven't checked out Phil's Old Radios site before, this page is as good a place to start as any.
http://www.antiqueradio.org/restoration.htm

Unlike radios where the signal is either audio (easy to signal trace and inject a signal) or RF (mostly sine waves), TV have signals where the wave shape is important but you can't hear whether it is correct. An oscilloscope is the best way to troubleshoot sometimes.

LAG-27, LBO-517
5382A, 368, 260, 8024B

PostPosted: Mar Sat 11, 2017 1:26 pm 

It turns out that my grandpa has a CRT tester. He is the one who got me started on radios, but I didn't think he would have anything related to TVs. I also acquired a tube tester from my great-great uncle (where I got the tv), so I can check that off my list.

Noah

PostPosted: Mar Sat 11, 2017 7:11 pm 

wowsk wrote:
It turns out that my grandpa has a CRT tester. He is the one who got me started on radios, but I didn't think he would have anything related to TVs. I also acquired a tube tester from my great-great uncle (where I got the tv), so I can check that off my list.

Noah

That's great!
You will come across some difference of opinion on the forum about some things, hopefully they will all balance out. Some here have been restoring TV for 20 or 30 years, some repaired TV for a living back in the day, then some are on their first TV like you.
The beginning of the process can be sort of cook-book. This is sort of the way I do it.
1. Test CRT if possible. If the CRT has a dead filament or no emission you will never see a picture on it. Don't do anything like 'rejuvenate' which some tester have. Sometimes dirty socket pins will mislead the tester, sometimes the CRT will show higher emission if you let the tester run for some time. Don't pull much to get the CRT socket off, the glue that holds the tube base on might be loose.
2. Clean it up. A paint brush and vacuum cleaner for the dust. Unless it is very greasy or something I use window cleaner and/or denatured alcohol. Don't loose anything like paper labels, nuts, bolts or knobs. Also be careful not to remove inked stamped numbers, paint marks or the like. There sometimes are exposed fine wires around IF coils and the flyback careful not to break them.
3. Get the schematic. I did a little searching online and couldn't find a free one for yours, sometimes you luck out sometimes you don't. SAMS manuals include a list of parts.
4. Test the other tubes. Many times, some weak tubes will work fine in the RF/IF area.
5. Buy new electrolytic and replacements for the paper capacitors. Some people go slow here but I think it only leads to more trouble-shooting later. Go carefully and methodically on replacing them.
If you make a mistake putting the new ones in it will be a lot of trouble later. This will take time.
6. If you don't have a variac, use a 'dim-bulb' and carefully apply power. Try adjusting the controls but don't turn anything that would require a screwdriver or other tool.
7. Trouble-shoot. This is where it can get complicated.

LAG-27, LBO-517
5382A, 368, 260, 8024B

PostPosted: Mar Sun 12, 2017 1:43 am 

Thanks for the steps, I will follow these. My grandpa also got a few file cabinets full of SAMS when the local television shop closed many years ago and this TV happened to be one that he had. I have the CRT tester at my house now, I will try and test the CRT soon.

Thanks for all of the help,
Noah

PostPosted: Mar Sun 12, 2017 4:10 am 

Ha-ha! You are really lucky to have these resources. You may have to post scans of the SAMS stuff so other people know whats going on if you have a problem.
I hope you already have an idea of how dangerous working on a TV set can be. The glass on the neck of the CRT is only about 1/10 of an inch or less thick, like a wine glass. Don't put any more stress on it than you have to. Be careful of old rubber gasket material, it can be stuck to the glass. Remember there is over 14 pounds per square inch pressure on it. Wearing eye protection is a good idea.
Do you know that once you get the set working that the CRT can store a high voltage charge for days?

LAG-27, LBO-517
5382A, 368, 260, 8024B