Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 13, 2018 4:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi. I’m new and I have two wonderful TV combo sets
PostPosted: Aug Sun 12, 2018 2:12 am 

Attachment:
File comment: My dumpster dive
5E7B8C17-4B5F-48A7-95BA-328B8381078E.jpeg
5E7B8C17-4B5F-48A7-95BA-328B8381078E.jpeg [ 136.2 KiB | Viewed 1513 times ]
The one that I picked up at an tag sale for a hundred bucks. I should say that my first late 40,s Motorola with radio and record player was in the window of an antique store in Burbank. It was in good condition. It was the traditional Duncan Phif design. I had no palm on making the tubes or tv or rp work. I wanted to pull out the tube, clean clean clean and went to Best Buy to find the right size flatscreen. I found the perfect size,$75, and use Apple TV with a Marshal speaker. Then I went about a mild refinishing as the mohogoney was in great shape but the brass lions heads were black.
I find it relaxing to do this kind of work
I have a feeling most on this site are into total restorations but I want it in my living room and it’s the first thing people see, and love. With Apple TV I can stream anything and everything
The one change I did make I’d to the bezel of the tv that’s painted gold. I took a couple of cotton balls and used acetone and the gold paint came off to reveal an aluminum bezel which after twenty minutes of polisher it came out with a mirror finish.
The size of my rca 6 t 86 is a little bigger so I’m off to Best Buy. I’m going to upload pictures

Post subject: Re: Hi. I’m new and I have two wonderful TV combo sets
PostPosted: Aug Sun 12, 2018 5:09 pm 

Well, they were wonderful TVs.

Oh, this could get ugly!

FYI: The majority of the people on this forum believe in preserving vintage TVs, not destroying them.

A post like yours is like asking for a fight.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 12, 2018 5:44 pm 

They are your sets to do what you want with but count me among those that see what you did to them as butchery and a crying shame. Did you save the guts so at least those can be passed along to someone who will can use them?

PostPosted: Aug Mon 13, 2018 4:00 am 

Agree with the above, they should be left original and restored to working condition or passed along to someone who appreciates them for what they are. If they were 5-10 years newer, no one would care but most smaller screen sets up to about 1951-52 deserve to be left original.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 13, 2018 4:33 am 

a lot of friends won't be made here with a post like this :cry: .

i agree with all the above, but at the end of the day, it is not mine.

steve

PostPosted: Aug Mon 13, 2018 5:39 am 

You can always connect your AppleTV or whatever up to your vintage TV and display modern content on the original hardware.
But original hardware looks best when displaying old B&W movies and vintage TV shows.

Others are right, you won't make friends on this site by installing a flatscreen into such a classic vintage TV.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 13, 2018 6:03 am 

I have a feeling this guy was trolling, seeing as he knew this website was all about preserving antique electronics such as TVs and Radios and Record Players, what this gut did was basically the equivalent of those "hipsters" that take a classic Westinghouse PowerAire fan from the 1930s or 1940s and turning it into a lamp and basically discaarding the fan's guts with little regard to the fact that some fan collector out there might have a fan that could use the parts from that fan to get their non-working fan running. In case you're wondering I'm a Member of the Antique Fan Collectors Association (AFCA) which is basically a group of people who get together and discuss, swap and trade antique fans amongst ourselves and whenever we see a classic antique fan converted into a lamp we basically consider that the equivalent of blasphemy in the fan world. Just like what the guy in this thread did with these old TVs could be considered blasphemy in the antique electronics world.

just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 13, 2018 4:21 pm 

Probably best to use the forum's "ignore" feature with this self proclaimed newcomer. Easy come, easy go :)

<click> muahahahahaha

PostPosted: Aug Mon 13, 2018 4:30 pm 

The original poster of this topic has not logged in since posting. However, you don’t have to log in to view the progress of a theead.

Hmmmmm...

PostPosted: Aug Tue 14, 2018 8:23 pm 

There could be measurable odds that this butchery took place on a set that doesn't and didn't exist.

If it did, maybe it's previous owner was one of those shape-changing lizard people. :roll:

Also thinking this one's out to troll. Put me down for fake. :roll:

PostPosted: Aug Tue 14, 2018 8:43 pm 

after re-reading it, there seems to be a few "baits".

Quote:
it’s the first thing people see, and love.

The one change I did make I’d to the bezel of the tv that’s painted gold. I took a couple of cotton balls and used acetone and the gold paint came off to reveal an aluminum bezel which after twenty minutes of polisher it came out with a mirror finish.

personally, i don't care if he chops it up for this winter's firewood, punches holes in the speaker cone, and uses the tubes for target practice. although i would never do that myself, at the end of the day, the set isn't mine.

i'm out on this one.

"unsubscribe topic" click.

steve

PostPosted: Oct Sun 07, 2018 7:21 pm 

Wha? This sounds like a fake post to me. Nobody ruins a classic set like that with an apple tv.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 11, 2018 2:47 am 

These things usually on`t work out well. Looks wrong without the curved screen.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q ... 8668907458

PostPosted: Oct Thu 11, 2018 10:15 am 

If it's to rile-up collectors, I speak for myself when I say that a person has a right to trash whatever he owns. It's his or her loss.
I dealt with a fake post once years ago. The freak had me reasearching something one evening and then he finally just made a gag out of it. The Net is a release for dire boredom for freaks out there.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 11, 2018 3:29 pm 

I will repair sets for other folks, they just gotta bring it here. Cuts a lot of nonsense.......Craig

PostPosted: Oct Thu 11, 2018 6:21 pm 

It looks like a troll post. Sorry but this post winds me up. This is a set preservation blog not a butchery blog. Also there is no proof the unit was ransacked because there are no pictures.

With regards to the Apple stuff, I have a 1949 RCA Victor TV with a 16AP4 CRT I use with a Roku 1 or a Google Chromecast. I can see old programs from YouTube and other sources. Here is an early 50's episode from What's My Line from YouTube and a Google search page via a Chromecast. And the set has been restored to total originality. The signal is modulated on Channel 4 and goes right to the antenna connection.

Attachments:
9TC275a.jpg
9TC275a.jpg [ 130.85 KiB | Viewed 725 times ]
rca1.jpg
rca1.jpg [ 74.11 KiB | Viewed 725 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Thu 11, 2018 7:20 pm 

Dai1955 wrote:
Attachment:
5E7B8C17-4B5F-48A7-95BA-328B8381078E.jpeg
The one that I picked up at an tag sale for a hundred bucks. I should say that my first late 40,s Motorola with radio and record player was in the window of an antique store in Burbank. It was in good condition. It was the traditional Duncan Phif design. I had no palm on making the tubes or tv or rp work. I wanted to pull out the tube, clean clean clean and went to Best Buy to find the right size flatscreen. I found the perfect size,$75, and use Apple TV with a Marshal speaker. Then I went about a mild refinishing as the mohogoney was in great shape but the brass lions heads were black.
I find it relaxing to do this kind of work
I have a feeling most on this site are into total restorations but I want it in my living room and it’s the first thing people see, and love. With Apple TV I can stream anything and everything
The size of my rca 6 t 86 is a little bigger so I’m off to Best Buy. I’m going to upload pictures

you should consider painting these in a camo pattern.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 11, 2018 7:40 pm 

That reminds me of back when eBay used to show "guides" at the end of each page based on the item searched. There was one for antique radios where some guy talked about tearing a radio apart, covering it it realtree camo, and them sticking a car radio in it.

-Unknown

PostPosted: Oct Thu 11, 2018 7:47 pm 

if he doesn't want to take the time to refinish it, he could use wood look contact paper, apply with lots of heat so it will sick better.

of course the camo and contact is all in fun, I personally paint them bright glossy silver aluminum :)

PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 2:33 am 

Seems useless to me that this thread continues, first and only post by OP was made two months ago. Being posts seem to get locked around here on the moderators whim, I'm surprised it's been allowed to continue.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 22 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page 1, 2  Next