Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Wed 16, 2019 1:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith TV Audio Buzz
PostPosted: Jan Thu 10, 2019 1:07 am 

Is my imagination, or do Zenith tv's seem to have a worse audio buzz problem than other makes? The type of buzz that changes pitch and intensity depending the video on the screen, but always present to some degree regardless of user control adjustment.

Post subject: Re: Zenith TV Audio Buzz
PostPosted: Jan Thu 10, 2019 3:25 am 

Yes, their tube type sets were well known for that, and it was often complained about by customers. Particularly noticeable when there was writing on the screen or lots of white areas.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 10, 2019 3:41 am 

You may have an alignment problem or a video source problem or both.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 10, 2019 3:53 pm 

Yes that is a common fault & I am a big apologist for Zenith.
Usually in the olden days you could tame most of them by proper
adjustment of the quad coil, buzz control & AGC but that was with
a real OTA NTSC signal. With the new sources I would guess it may
be impossible in some cases.

73 Zeno 8)
LFOD !

PostPosted: Jan Thu 10, 2019 7:08 pm 

I have many Zenith Portholes and yes it's most always a problem.

The problem is somewhere within the intercarrier Audio Circuit. I have realigned all of my sets and that has help a lot. Luckily Zenith produced an excellent service manual for these portholes so alignment was easy for someone like me.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 3:17 am 

Interesting. I have Zenith tv's from '58 to '71, and they all do this to one degree or another. Makes me wonder why, after it should have been apparent there was a problem, I think zenith knew it because all these sets have the buzz control, Zenith didn't dump this sound system design and go with something else. Was the buzz problem in the solid state sets after the tube era ended?

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 6:26 am 

The problem is the quadrature detector. Some detector tubes work better than others. Generally the tube that was installed at the factory would work fairly well. But if you ever had to replace it, you would often have some buzz after installing the replacement tube. Adjusting the buzz control helps a little. I often wondered if there was some secret that TV manufactures knew and that the replacement tube manufactures did not know.

The quadrature detector was cheap. Any other type of detector worked better.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 2:07 pm 

Tom Schulz wrote:
The problem is the quadrature detector. Some detector tubes work better than others. Generally the tube that was installed at the factory would work fairly well. But if you ever had to replace it, you would often have some buzz after installing the replacement tube. Adjusting the buzz control helps a little. I often wondered if there was some secret that TV manufactures knew and that the replacement tube manufactures did not know.

The quadrature detector was cheap. Any other type of detector worked better.

Hi Tom,

Is the quadrature detector you are referring to the FM limiter & detector 6BN6 tube in these ole portholes. I remember you gave me instructions a few moons ago on how to limit the buzz and I am still grateful for your time.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 4:15 pm 

Kevin Clark wrote:
Interesting. I have Zenith tv's from '58 to '71, and they all do this to one degree or another. Makes me wonder why, after it should have been apparent there was a problem, I think zenith knew it because all these sets have the buzz control, Zenith didn't dump this sound system design and go with something else. Was the buzz problem in the solid state sets after the tube era ended?

Buzz was not a problem on SS sets. B&W sets seemed to suffer most, early colors the least. Why
they never did anything about it is beyond me. From at least the late 50's on they built the best tuner / IF
stages. Those sets could get stations no other sets could but they buzzed...........

73 Zeno 8)
LFOD !

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 5:21 pm 

The quadrature detector uses the fewest components. Maybe Zenith was the sole holder
of the patent and wanted to make the most of it. The design apparently has a problem
rejecting the 60 Hz video sync pulses.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 6:40 pm 

clsoca wrote:
Is the quadrature detector you are referring to the FM limiter & detector 6BN6 tube in these ole portholes.

Yes, that is it.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 9:16 pm 

Wow, great info. I guess the first thing I'll do is try another tube in the set on the table, yep, it's a 6BN6. 1959 Model E2015L Ch: CH16D25Q, with the Space Command 300. This is the worst of the Zenith's I've had for the buzz, basically un-listenable.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 12, 2019 3:24 am 

You could try adjusting the buzz control and the quadrature coil. I assume you have a schematic and can locate the quadrature coil. Put a piece of tape on the alignment tool so as to form a flag. Before you start adjusting the coil carefully note the position of the flag. Then try turning the adjustment back and forth to see if you can reduce the buzz and get clear sound. If you don't get anywhere, return the adjustment back to it's original position.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 14, 2019 1:45 am 

Thankyou, Tom. Great info.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 15, 2019 2:28 am 

Standard procedure on the Zenith tube sets that buzzed was to replace the 6BN6 (or 6Z10), adjust the buzz control for minimum buzz, and touch up the quad coil. Adjusting the IF transformers may help.