Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Thu 22, 2017 11:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What is an antique TV?
PostPosted: Feb Thu 23, 2006 5:07 am 

Should we restrict this forum to sets made before a certain year? I think so.<P>Although I have a Philco Safari, I do not think that transistor tv's should be discussed in this forum. I personally think that the cutoff should be 1950. This was the end of the major evolution of b/w television technology. After that the crts got bigger, but not much changed for several years. Then we get into printed circuits, 13 pin tubes, plastics, photo laminate cabinets, etc. Maybe you think "antique" can apply to post 1950 -- that OK, but there can be some cutoff. A different date could apply to color.<P>I bring this subject up because I have seen topics which are straying far from the antique catagory. Topics I am interested in are restoration tips; hard to find parts and documentation; advice to novices; stories of difficult cases; discussion of television history, etc. <P>I would also like to see some way of organizing information about the early sets (how many made, where, who, when, what happened to them) and who has them now.<P>Well, enough said. I like this forum and want to see that it stays focused. <P>---------<BR>Ron<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Thu 23, 2006 5:18 am 

Until the volume of traffic grows so large that threads are lost, I can't get worried about restricting topics. I might wish for more descriptive titles however.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Thu 23, 2006 5:24 am 

It's really hard to define, so I don't think there can be a consensus. Most of the serious established collectors I know won't even agree what should be considered an "antique" TV. Since none are old enough to be legitimate antiques, the use of the word is inappropriate, even though widely seen. <P>But the closest approximation would be the earliest TV's, and particularly those with 12" and smaller round CRT's. That's roughly, but not exactly, 1950-51 at the newest and still includes a few larger round CRT models like the Zenith 16" and 19" portholes and the DuMont 19" sets. <P>However, I have no problem with including any tube-type TV well up into the 60's, as well as the early solid state ones like the Philco Safari, the 19" Motorola portable, and even the first 5" and 7" Sonys and Panasonics etc. if someone wants to discuss them. A lot of people have TV's that new which they feel are collectible, and want to keep them functional. And there really aren't very many posts on sets newer than about the mid-50's with the exception of the Predictas. So maybe a more appropriate title would be "collectible TV's" rather than "antique". Or "Antique and Collectible TV's" and specifically excluding anything newer than about 1970. <P>What I find unnecessary is the inclusion of "modern" color TV's only 5 or 10 years old which seems to be happening more frequently. There are other better forums for that type of information. There are a few TV techs on here who work on the modern stuff all day long, and they do answer such questions when they are posted. <P>------------------<BR>Dennis

PostPosted: Feb Thu 23, 2006 6:32 am 

Defining "Antique" in reference to Television is going to be problematic I'm afraid. There are those who believe nothing should be called antique unless it's 100 years old. Some would prefer we call it vintage. Labeling something antique is often a product of a persons age and the era they grew up in. I like to think this forum is open to discussion about a lot of aspects in regards to TV. I'm amazed by the amount of knowledge lurking around this forum, and I am truly humbled by it. There have been posts asking for info on relatively new sets and there are forums where that is their main focus, IMHO this forum's main focus is on sets that are not in general daily use and something that the few remaining shops wouldn't even touch. <BR>I don't have a big problem with the occasional question about a newer set and I don't think it will ever take up much room on the forum because that's just not what we're mainly about but like I said there's a lot of knowledgable folks frequenting this forum. I kindof like it like it is, a TV discussion forum that's heavy into the older sets. Just my thoughts.....FWIW.. <P>------------------<BR>KAØSCR<BR>"proximo satis pro administratio"

PostPosted: Feb Thu 23, 2006 7:04 am 

I feel that "vintage" would be a better term. My thoughts are that the kind with tubes are better here. <P>------------------<BR>This program is brought to you today by... Oh, I can't find it. The hell with it.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 23, 2006 7:35 am 

I would consider anything with tubes to be an "Antique" TV, not in the technical sense maybe but in the fast moving world of electronics they sure are.<P>Soon, anything not Digital HD capable might be considered antique by the younger crowd.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Thu 23, 2006 8:16 am 

hello Mr. Detrola:<BR>I agree with 100% well I do work on the modern tv's I just got done working two of them 32in jvc and 13 panasonic tv vcr combo it's nice beable talk about the ones that I collect and that my customers bring in once in great while like a couple months ago a guy brought early 1970s panasonic tv wow what oldie But I did last year pick up a 1953 21 in Ge console from customer that wanted to get rid of it so know its waiting for me to recap it to put in my extra room and do have rca 9t241 and have bought another one a 8t241 that i need to restore <BR>I'll do what ever this forum wants as what types of tvs to talk about .<BR>sincerly RadioRich<BR>P.s I had had gone to customers house a couple years ago and well they had 19 Dumont that they took it out side and in the process they broke neck off the picture tube what said ending of great set. <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Thu 23, 2006 8:58 am 

I would think that tubes should be the criteria for postings, with exceptions made by agreement for say the safari. Even though we have a section for transistor radios, then maybe one for Transistor televisions is in line, or since the TR threads are small maybe change it to Radio/Television.<BR>JMHO<BR>Dan<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Thu 23, 2006 9:09 am 

The nice thing about this forum is you don'thave to read and respond to every post. Pick the ones you want to read and respond too. <P>------------------<BR>Tony

PostPosted: Feb Thu 23, 2006 6:45 pm 
Inactive

Hi,<BR> And then the next thing there would have to be another forum for newer tv's,newer radio, where does it end.<BR>Ken<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Thu 23, 2006 8:01 pm 

I personally think things like the Philco Predicta, Philco Safari, RCA CT-100 and other sets well past 1950 are of interest to most of us weird TV collectors. <P>This is my personal interest of course and my not reflect the group.<P>We want to be able to mingle with new collectors and they will have very slim chance of scoring a pre WW2 set and some difficulty getting the 1946 through 1950 toys. <P>I seek refuge in my antique car, Radios, an TV’s after a Hard day in MicroSoft land. <BR><P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Thu 23, 2006 8:05 pm 

Personally, my interest level drops off a bit when tv's made after 1950 are discussed. Technically, the antique police would tell you that anything less than 100 years old cannot be called an antique. As a practical matter, there is plenty of interest among collectors for the Safari and Predicta sets, and I see no reason to exclude any set of interest. I might glaze over a bit when the later vacuum tube sets are discussed, but to each his own.<P>Ken<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Thu 23, 2006 9:49 pm 

Although I apparently hit a nerve when I posted my Sony question, I knew that the thousands of years (Oops! I meant hundreds) of experience here would be very helpful. And it was.<BR>As far as what defines 'antique' in the world of TV... I would vote for most of the tube area, although the Safaris and the early Trinitrons certainly are classics in their own ways.<BR>I agree with the post saying that we can choose what to read and respond to. Personally, as an electronics junkie, I find all of it interesting, and read 'em all!<BR>Time to get back to work on the VT-71.<P>PS: I guess my only beef with this forum is the lack of a real good 'trading post'. etc.<P>------------------<BR>We improve things by making them worse...

PostPosted: Feb Fri 24, 2006 2:20 am 

Dave Doughty wrote:
<font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HadYourPhil:<BR><B> I guess my only beef with this forum is the lack of a real good 'trading post'. etc.<P></B><HR>
<P>ARF has two areas for buying-selling-trading.<P>There is the informal Radio Classified forum: <A HREF="http://antiqueradios.com/cgi-bin/forums/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Radio+Classified&number=12&DaysPrune=20&LastLogin=" TARGET=_blank>http://antiqueradios.com/cgi-bin/forums/forumdi splay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Radio+Classified&number=12&DaysPrune=20&LastLogin=</A> <P>And now there is a more structured approach here at the Radio Classifieds web page. <A HREF="http://antiqueradios.com/classifieds/index.php" TARGET=_blank>http://antiqueradios.com/classifieds/index.php</A> <P>Are you suggesting a third trading post?<P>Dave<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Fri 24, 2006 8:54 am 

Guess I didn't look hard enough...<P>------------------<BR>We improve things by making them worse...

PostPosted: Feb Fri 24, 2006 3:50 pm 

bestland wrote:
<font>quote:</font><HR>So maybe a more appropriate title would be "collectible TV's" rather than "antique". Or "Antique and Collectible TV's" and specifically excluding anything newer than about 1970. [/B]<HR>
<P>I was just about ready to say 1970 would be a perfect cutoff, then remembered the G.E. PortaColor which is an all tube T.V. built up to 1980. <P>This is most difficult to figure out than I thought it would be!!<P>-Jeremy<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Fri 24, 2006 5:47 pm 

In my opinion the GE Portacolor does not even qualify as a TV, let alone a collectible. We always hated to see those come in the shop, and had heard that some other TV shops wouldn't touch them. But we always found the local GE distributor stocked everything so it was easier than many other brands to get OEM parts for. <P>I think I have seen maybe one that had what I would consider a watchable picture, because the focus is horrible due to the design of the CRT. Usually it's impossible to read most small writing on the screen or see any detail in the picture except in closeups. They ran so hot that if used a lot the solder would fail and tube sockets and resistors would be loose on the PC board. I saw one in a resale shop a few years ago, and the cabinet back was badly melted and distorted from the tube heat, someone must have used it 24/7 to do that. <P>This forum would be the most likely place for someone to get assistance in repairing one. I don't recall very many questions about them though. <P>A few people actively collect the various different models of the GE Portacolor. There's one with the Philco name on it that's very rare and 100% GE except for the Philco logo on the front. <P>------------------<BR>Dennis

PostPosted: Feb Fri 24, 2006 8:31 pm 

Let's not get too concerned about the true meaning of "antique". Customs laws say that works of art, furniture and decorative objects over 100 years old are antiques. This does not apply to manufactured objects such as tv's or automobiles.<P>For coins, antique means that it comes from Roman times.<P>Many events for old cars have a cut-off date for participation. They do this to keep things focused. The cut-off date changes as the years roll by.<P>From what I hear in the comments above, the forum members think that things are working pretty well now and not likely to get out of hand. I'll bet if I posted a question about an arc welder, I might get a helpful reply on this forum. Maybe that's a good thing.<BR>-------<BR>Ron<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Fri 24, 2006 10:42 pm 

I can see how the GE distributor would have all the parts in stock for a portacolor-there are hardly any parts there! Now, I just parted a 12" bw GE and that thing was seriously "Muntzed". Just plain junk. I think it was a 6 tube.<P>On the topic at hand, I think some purists would want to stick with the 1950, 10/12" numbers but I am happy leaving it open. There aren't too many modern tv questions and there are some knuckleheads like myself who have a thing for 60s tv sets. Remember that it wasn't all that long ago that radios that ran on AC were considered junk. Now any tube type tv is getting old. Some folks now are building collections of Trinitrons & System 3's. <P>Consider this: in 1986 I was 14 years old and bought a 1954 RCA tv set which I thought was the greatest thing in the world. It was 32 years old. Today a 32 year old tv set was made in 1974. And time marches on...I wonder if today's 14 year olds feel the same way about an old XL-100?<P>------------------<BR>Bryan

PostPosted: Feb Fri 24, 2006 11:03 pm 

I tried to collect at least one example of every style on anything tube. My sets range from 1949 to 1972, with a couple portacolors, several plastic color and b&w sets from around 1970, and a Japaneese made Sears table color set. A Predicta Princess, two 7" sets, two 10" sets, two 12" sets, several metal 50's portables, 4 consoles, biggest 23" b&w. No tube color console yet. Saw a nice rectangular at a resale place a few months ago only to sink when I took a look around the back and found the crt protective cup missing from the back and the crt neck broken. Anything tube in my opinion.<P>------------------<BR>These days, a nickle's just not worth a dime anymore.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 33 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page 1, 2  Next