Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Mon 24, 2014 11:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Are Predictas more trouble then they are worth?
PostPosted: Dec Mon 05, 2011 2:26 am 

Guys I'm looking to find a tv to finish my mid-century modern house's living room. I'm not having a lot of luck finding something that will work (either the cabinet is ugly, too much $$, wrong era, etc).

I was leaning towards a traditional "wood box" color set from the late '50s, early '60s. The house is 'accurate' for the era between 1958 and 1963. But I've always like a the Philco Predicta line. I can live with black and white as this won't be a daily driver.

There's one that "needs work". No picture, no sound. No model number, but the chassis is stamped "10L43".

Is this a "good" one? It has a transformer, I seem to recall there was some issues with one type (series string vs. transfomer models).

As I understand there are no more picture tube rebuilders after Hawkeye went out of biz...is this still the case? What about flybacks?

Thoughts welcome on any tvs that would fit the bill...

Post subject: Re: Are Predictas more trouble then they are worth?
PostPosted: Dec Mon 05, 2011 2:36 am 

There is nothing like a Predicta but the circuit boards are a real pain to remove, the flybacks are known to fail and the picture tubes are not overly reliable either, especially the bigger ones which are usually series string. It's not the series string issue really although I would rather have a transformer one. When they are working, they can really draw a crowd though.

What do you think of this one? 1959 RCA N2026. All I've done to it so far is touch up the controls although it is going to need a few caps pretty soon. No, it's not for sale.

Attachments:
RCA N2026 002.jpg
RCA N2026 002.jpg [ 163.03 KiB | Viewed 1988 times ]
Galaxy Being 001.jpg
Galaxy Being 001.jpg [ 162.7 KiB | Viewed 1988 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Mon 05, 2011 2:43 am 

Greg,

You have yourself an amazing tv there :D

That's about the shade of wood cabinet I'm looking for, but that tv doesn't quite fit for me, I'd either want all out space-aged (Predicta) or typical conservative mid century (box with legs).

How much effort does that take to "pop out" in time for you favorite show? (yes I realize it's not for sale, I can't blame you )

PostPosted: Dec Mon 05, 2011 2:49 am 

It's spring loaded so about 2 fingers will do it. The nice thing is it's an RCA so it's nearly bulletproof or as bulletproof as a late 50's TV can get.

Look up Sylvania Sylouette. I think you might like that one. I do too. There is a thread about one down the column a ways.

BTW, I think the 10L43 is the same as my Predicta. A 17" Princess transformer set.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 05, 2011 2:59 am 

Predictas are more trouble than they are worth as far as restoration goes. The appeal is the visual aesthetic of the unique cabinet design. I wouldn't recommend one to anyone who isn't an experienced professional technician. They can be made to work reasonably well, but the aggravation of finding specific parts like flybacks can take all the fun out of owning one, and the amount of work needed in the restoration can prove frustrating to someone who has no previous experience with Predicta service.

You would probably be better off with a conventional console like a Zenith, RCA, Motorola, or Admiral of the 1958-1963 vintage. Get one with a power transformer. You would want to check the CRT first on any vintage set you might consider purchasing, as the cost of a replacement could easily be more than the value of the set.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 05, 2011 3:04 am 

Dennis has a good point, as usual. Zenith's of this period were probably the best built sets around although nothing wrong with the others either.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 05, 2011 4:03 am 

Zenith had some nice modern styled sets in that period.

such as my 1958.

And 1962-64 portables.

It is out side the time period your going for, but one of my favorite (danish)modern styled sets is my 65' Philco roundy(bottom right).

There are some VERY stylish sets out there if you are on the look out. :D

Tom C.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 05, 2011 4:08 am 

If you want all out "Atomic" then look for a Predicta "Barberpole" pedestal model.

Shown here on Phils Old Radios Site:
http://antiqueradio.org/philc12.htm

They have all the same problems as the tabletop model but cost more, there is also a Danish Modern model called the "Continental" but it's really difficult to find one of those (maybe not so difficult if you have a wad of money).
This page has a picture of a Continental and several other models of Predicta.

http://www.burlingame-radio.com/photo_1.html

PostPosted: Dec Mon 05, 2011 4:14 am 

The Predicta line was more than bubble tops. There were some decent console and table models.

The 1960 models have a power transformer and are more reliable than the 1959 models. There are a couple of half year carry overs, but that is the general rule. The 1959 bubble top models used the 1958 "box style" portable chassis adapted for a 17 - 21 inch picture. It was not all that good in the portable version.

They are distinguished from the outside by the channel indicator and the rear from the line cord and aux knob locations. 1959 model numbers begin with G and the 1960 begin with H. Add 50 to the chassis number. That makes a 10L43 a 1960 model. They are all fixable. The key is to avoid building in trouble.

As suggested above there are some nice products of the era, but not as distinctive as the Philco bubble tops. I like the RCA 58-59 slim line consoles. They feature performance, style and reliability, but are otherwise uninteresting.

It's best to have a good CRT and high voltage components in anything you buy. Good luck.

Don

PostPosted: Dec Mon 05, 2011 4:45 am 

Some of the more conventional Philco sets, like the Predicta and Miss America, have a cool look. Also search for pics of a GE Coaxial. I know a semi-retired TV repairman who still owns the blonde Zenith he bought new in '60, and it has a very good period look. He wants to find it a new home.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 05, 2011 5:08 am 

The 1960 Predicta "Continental" danish-modern console is the set for you. I had a '58 tabletop that, once I had restored, was a decent performer and a lot of fun to watch. There are reproductions of these sets made that look good. That is also an option. Here's a website for them: http://www.predicta.com/index.shtml
The orignal "Continental":
The repro:

Last edited by decojoe67 on Dec Mon 05, 2011 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 05, 2011 5:23 am 

Predictas are fun, but high maintenance. There are other cool looking 1950s TVs, like my Philco Miss America:

My Miss America was much easier to restore than the Predicta and it may be more reliable, as well. Sets with the Miss America name were among the top-line models for Philco during those years: http://antiqueradio.org/PhilcoF4626MTelevision.htm .

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

PostPosted: Dec Mon 05, 2011 6:11 am 

Those barber pole predictas are among the worst. Series string, overeheat, flyback failures, etc.....
Go with a conventional RCA, Admiral, stay away from Silvertone, and, Japanese sets, including the Olympics.
I love that convertible RCA. Wish I had one.
I'd swap for that set.
Stay away from the odd ones, including GE M4,M5,M6 sets. Miserable to fix, often break down.
Bill Cahill

PostPosted: Dec Tue 06, 2011 2:09 am 

Thanks guys for your always valued input.

I will be sticking with the "traditional conservative wood box" for my living room.

Definitely gonna go with one of the big names. There are (3) manufacturers I kinda like to stick with. RCA Victor, Zenith, Philco.

But I could go with another if it fit the bill (right wood color, console style or legs, etc).

PostPosted: Dec Tue 06, 2011 3:09 am 

I agree with Phil on the F line console he shows. I view that is among the best two or three B & W chassis Philco ever made. It has solid circuit design, reliability and it looks and works great. The 8L71/2 was a carry over from the 1957 Diamond D series 7L70. Components were rearranged and the sound circuit reliability was improved with addition of a 6AL5. Overall performance is exceptional. Picture is super stable. I would personally prefer that TV to any bubble top Predicta.

I was dispatched to the Board Chairman's home in '57 and he was watching a Diamond D. Engineering did not want a bubble top in his home, nor was his home bubble top country.

The Predicta line came out the following year. There are some decent contemporary consoles in the '59 G line, but none of the Predicta series, bubble top or contemporary, come close to Phil's set.

Don

PostPosted: Dec Tue 06, 2011 3:54 am 

Now, if I could only find a fresh CRT (21BSP4) for the Miss America. It came with a brightener. Rejuvenation improved it a little, but it's still weak.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

PostPosted: Dec Wed 07, 2011 8:20 am 

By the way, the answer to your original question is no. :lol:

PostPosted: Dec Thu 08, 2011 1:54 am 

Guess it all depends on the initial condition. I believe they have been given a bad rap over the past few years. If it appeared on the Waltons they would in high demand. :D

PostPosted: Dec Thu 08, 2011 4:22 am 

ipaint2 wrote:
If it appeared on the Waltons they would in high demand. :D

And they aren't now? :wink:

PostPosted: Dec Thu 08, 2011 4:48 am 

I was lucky my pcb was in pretty good shape, and the only bad tube socket was the vert out which on a princess happens to be the only one that has access to it thru an opening in the chassis. I was able to recap it without pulling the pcb, took some effort, and I 90 degree bend in a soldering gun tip to get as some of the tougher caps, but it can be done. they do command a top price when working.

The good thing about the chassis is since its boxed in its very rigid, that and its modular, you can unplug things from it like the tuner and the CRT yoke. Not sure I would like to work on one if I had to pull that pcb, and if I did have to pull it I would prob look into re engineering it to have some quick disconnects (if I had to undo all those connections I would be tempted to just cut them about 1 inch from the board and install some anderson power poles and number them. then I would also look into installing some solder braid for ground straps again with quick connects, and by now I would consider it more trouble than its worth....

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 24 posts ]  Moderators: Mr. Detrola, 7jp4-guy Go to page 1, 2  Next