Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Sun 30, 2017 4:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 7" Admiral
PostPosted: Dec Sun 18, 2011 4:24 pm 

Found this at a local antique shop. Been thinking about getting it. They want $125.
I like the old 7" electrostatic deflection sets. Just wish there was something on the air to receive...

-Steve

Attachments:
admiraltv.jpg
admiraltv.jpg [ 60.51 KiB | Viewed 3170 times ]

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

Post subject: Re: 7" Admiral
PostPosted: Dec Sun 18, 2011 5:04 pm 

One of those just sold on eBay for $265. I know because I got outbid on it. If it's complete and has the back then I don't think you can go wrong for $125. I think they are a really sharp looking set.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 18, 2011 7:04 pm 

Agreed. I'd take it in a heartbeat. Should be a good player too.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 18, 2011 9:32 pm 

I like this set too. It has the correct knobs and grille cloth. Not many sets came in a maple finish.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 18, 2011 10:23 pm 

The Admiral is undoubtedly the best built and easiest to restore of all the 7" sets. It also performs exceptionally well. You can always use a DTV box for whatever OTA signals are in your area, or a cable box with analog output. DVD players fed through an RF modulator also work well on vintage TV's.

If you really like it, there is no reason not to get it. I think the price is very high for an unrestored Admiral 7" set though, but the less common finish on the wood cabinet may make a difference. I just purchased a bakelite case 7" Admiral for about $10 at a professionally run estate sale a few weeks ago, on the 3rd day of the sale.....both bakelite and wood cabinet versions of this set can usually be found here in the midwest for $50- $75 if you are patient.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 18, 2011 10:26 pm 

Hey Steve,

Model # 19A15-S ?

Check this one out, just ended @ $330 + on the "bay" 8)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300633292770?ss ... _781wt_952

Steve, you planning on Farmington Hills at the end of January?
Lloyd
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Good Judgment Comes From- EXPERIENCE -Which Comes From Bad Judgment

Last edited by CrumblingWires on Dec Sun 18, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 18, 2011 10:29 pm 

yea that was the one I bid on up to $280, it did indeed go for $330, if you can get that set for that price I would take it in a heart beat.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 18, 2011 10:50 pm 

azenithnut wrote:
Just wish there was something on the air to receive...
-Steve

I am sure that the situation varies, but at my house there is more on the air then there ever was. Almost every station is broadcasting two sets of programming, the local PBS station is broadcasting three. All I needed was a converter box. I already had the antenna.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 18, 2011 10:59 pm 

I found a bakelite version in good physical shape at a local junk shop about 3 years ago for $10 but gave it to a friend last year for Christmas.

Dave

PostPosted: Dec Mon 19, 2011 12:09 am 

Good grief, some of these 7" sets are getting expensive!
Looks like a German bid it up to $300 and after that a couple others took over, a little suspect but we'll see if it gets relisted.

I got my 19A15 about ten years ago for $45, on eBay and it was local. It even worked but needed refinishing.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 19, 2011 12:32 am 

Get the set and then get a Blonder Tongue Agile Modulator. Then, you can broadcast whatever you want within your own home!

PostPosted: Dec Mon 19, 2011 12:44 am 

Thanks everyone, if it is still there tomorrow, I'll go see if I can get it.

Lloyd, I plan to go, weather permitting of course. :D

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Dec Mon 19, 2011 12:51 am 

You may want to see if the seller will negotiate. Maybe wave cash money in the air?

PostPosted: Dec Mon 19, 2011 2:00 am 

Eric H wrote:
Looks like a German bid it up to $300 and after that a couple others took over, a little suspect but we'll see if it gets relisted.

Could you please explain what you think is "a little suspect" about it?

It all looks normal to me. Other than vts1134 from this thread, the other bidders were all veteran bidders, and I see no signs of shilling or any other inappropriateness.

All that I really noticed about the 3 highest bidders (including the German and vts1134) is that they were all smart enough to snipe the auction in the last ten seconds, instead of nibbling away at it.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 19, 2011 3:45 am 

wiscojim wrote:
Eric H wrote:

Could you please explain what you think is "a little suspect" about it?

It all looks normal to me. Other than vts1134 from this thread, the other bidders were all veteran bidders, and I see no signs of shilling or any other inappropriateness.

All that I really noticed about the 3 highest bidders (including the German and vts1134) is that they were all smart enough to snipe the auction in the last ten seconds, instead of nibbling away at it.

Nothing definitive, probably perfectly legitimate, it's just that of the last two bidders one has no TV/Radio history and 50% bidding with this seller, the other one has no recent history or bids except for this set, also they bid over $300 on a set that probably shouldn't go for that much.

Like I said, nothing definitive, maybe those two just haven't been interested in buying anything recently.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 19, 2011 4:11 am 

Eric H wrote:
Nothing definitive, probably perfectly legitimate, it's just that of the last two bidders one has no TV/Radio history and 50% bidding with this seller, the other one has no recent history or bids except for this set, also they bid over $300 on a set that probably shouldn't go for that much.

Like I said, nothing definitive, maybe those two just haven't been interested in buying anything recently.

Thanks for the explanation, but I'd rate this auction as perfectly legitimate.

You can't know anything about the first one's "TV/Radio history" because you can't see what items he bid on prior to the last 30 days. He may very well be deeply involved in this hobby, it's just that there is no related recent eBay experience visible. And the reason he has a 50% relationship with this seller in the last 30 days is because he has only bid on two items in the last 30 days. He obviously has a 50% relationship with the other seller also. When someone has only bid on two items you can't make any determination of whether or not he/she is in the hobby.

And the second bidder is vts1134 who posted earlier in this thread. You do know that he has a TV/Radio history, or he wouldn't be part of this group. Apparently, like a lot of people, he doesn't use eBay often, having only accumulated a feedback of 10 despite being registered on eBay since April of 2000.

As far as the final price goes, this is a pretty scarce model that doesn't come up for sale very often. This maple set is far rarer than the common wood or bakelite Admiral models. Bidding over $300 for something that they really wanted shouldn't be a surprise. I've owned hundreds of TVs over the last 30 years, and not once have I ever been lucky enough to find one of these. How much a buyer wants to bid for something is decided by many reasons that we can't possibly know. Assigning a market price or ballpark figure for a set that rarely appears just can't be done with any accuracy. The very same model that went for over $300 in this auction, may not even get an opening bid the next time one appears. But to state that you think they bid too high is purely your opinion of what the set is worth, and has nothing to do with actual value to the parties involved.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 20, 2011 12:55 am 

Ok, why did this get moved to "online Auctions and Sales Forum"??/? :?

I went back and got the TV. It seems complete after looking it over. The cord is cutoff, so I'll have to find a new cheater cord.
It even has the back.
However the finish is a bit worn. Not sure its worth refinishing though.
I am surprised that unlike the Motorola VT-71, this one has a power transformer! Bonus! :D

Not sure when I'll get to restoring it. Too many irons in the fire as it is...
-Steve

Attachments:
admiral-tv-b.jpg
admiral-tv-b.jpg [ 90.03 KiB | Viewed 2950 times ]
admiral-tv-f.jpg
admiral-tv-f.jpg [ 83.81 KiB | Viewed 2950 times ]

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Dec Tue 20, 2011 1:48 am 

I guess my memory doesn't server me right. I thought I remembered bidding $250, but now I'm remembering $315 and it passed me up to $330. I can assure you that I was not shilling, I just really wanted to own this one. I do not have a lot of TV bidding history on eBay because I've only been into this hobby for less than a year. I guess it's the new guys like me that are making the hobby get more expensive.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 20, 2011 5:05 am 

Anybody in the Toronto area may be interested in this one...
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/ele/2751598519.html

No connection..

Don

PostPosted: Dec Tue 20, 2011 5:10 am 

vts1134 wrote:
I guess my memory doesn't server me right. I thought I remembered bidding $250, but now I'm remembering $315 and it passed me up to $330. I can assure you that I was not shilling, I just really wanted to own this one. I do not have a lot of TV bidding history on eBay because I've only been into this hobby for less than a year. I guess it's the new guys like me that are making the hobby get more expensive.

My apologies, I certainly didn't mean to imply that you were, you originally said you had bid $250 so I figured you weren't one of the top two.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 47 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next