Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 21, 2014 12:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Modifing a Radio Shack TV RF modulator for channels 2 and 6
PostPosted: Jul Mon 01, 2013 6:36 am 

I removed the SAW resonator from this modulator, and substituted 2 crystals. For channel 2 I used a 18.432MHz crystal (which seems to be a common modem frequency). For channel 6 I used a crystal I got from an old toy CB walkie talkie, 27.125MHz. Ideally I'd want 27.75MHz. But this CB crystal puts a TV channel only 1.9 MHz lower than where channel 6 should be. Most TV sets' fine tuning will let you tune this in properly. If your TV set has individual tweakable oscillator coil adjustments (like a terrete tuner) you could adjust your channel 6 a little.

If you get two of these modulators, put one on channel 2, the other on channel 6, and use a standard unmodified one on channel 4, feed them all to a 3 way splitter and then to your TV set, you have created a miniature cable head end. There's no lower sideband suppression, so channels 3 and 5 are not usable. With 3 CECBs, say one tuned to Antenna TV, RTV (retro TV) and there was a channel carrying Lassie and the Lone Ranger, you could channel hop the old fashioned way. Or use a DVD player with vintage movies. If you are feeding an old B&W TV like an Admiral bakelite console, use the luma video output, so there's no chroma subcarrier to junk up the reception (B&W TVs before 1953 often had full 4.2MHz of luma bandwidth).

Attachments:
ha11545 ch2 ch6 mod.gif
ha11545 ch2 ch6 mod.gif [ 31.79 KiB | Viewed 895 times ]

Post subject: Re: Modifing a Radio Shack TV RF modulator for channels 2 an
PostPosted: Jul Tue 02, 2013 3:30 am 

That's a fun idea! I wonder how many of your neighbours you could supply a feed with? (Semi-secretly, of course)

Eric

PostPosted: Jul Tue 02, 2013 4:30 am 

Quote:
If you get two of these modulators, put one on channel 2, the other on channel 6

Does the channel selector switch on pin 7 choose between the two crystals?

PostPosted: Jul Tue 02, 2013 5:30 pm 

wa2ise wrote:
...If you are feeding an old B&W TV like an Admiral bakelite console, use the luma video output...

Use it to drive pin 16?

PostPosted: Jul Fri 05, 2013 8:09 pm 

Very cool modification!

I wonder if you could put in a 15.0 or 15.08 MHz crystal and make a Channel 1 :shock: modulator?

PostPosted: Jul Wed 10, 2013 8:36 pm 

Yes, luma would feed pin 16, the same way a composite video signal would. Thru C4 and VR2. And the switch would select which crystal will operate the chip.

I did modify one of these to go on the old channel 1. I found I had to increase slightly C1 by a picofarad or so, and maybe C2 as well. To get this crystal to oscillate. A crystal at 15.083MHz should put you on 45.25MHz, where channel 1's picture carrier used to be. I'd make the other crystal for channel 2, which shouldn't mind the increased caps.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 12, 2013 5:12 am 

For some reason I thought you were modifying the Radio Shack (Digitalstream) DTV converter box's backend modulator, and was patching a luma signal internally from some (unstated) point to pin 16. So sorry for the dumb-sounding questions. I see you mean the standalone RF modulator, which of course you can drive from any external luma source to get good B&W output.

Now that I'm on the right page, do you think it would be possible to drive pin 9 or 10 with a standard RF signal generator? Perhaps attenuated with a simple additional circuit? I have an el-cheapo that tunes from 0 to 250MHz. It would make a nice bench-test piece of equipment, to be able to sweep up the VHF band and check all the tuner circuits with one standalone piece of equipment.

Just thinking out loud...