Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 4:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Got a Blonde 8TS30 today from eBay
PostPosted: Oct Tue 24, 2017 6:17 am 

I bought this set from a nearby seller on eBay this week, drove down and picked it up this evening.
It's missing all the tubes including the CRT, and the top cover, but it has the back and all the light brown knobs.
I have a Mahogany version with all the missing parts but no back and a really trashed cabinet plus a sketchy chassis, this cabinet has some issues but it's much better than the one I have, plus it's a Blonde.

Figured I can make one good Blonde set out of the two.

Something bad happened to the CRT, you can see the gun assembly still plugged into the connector.

Attachments:
front8ts.jpg
front8ts.jpg [ 29.3 KiB | Viewed 890 times ]
side8ts.jpg
side8ts.jpg [ 31.34 KiB | Viewed 890 times ]
chassis8ts.jpg
chassis8ts.jpg [ 44.99 KiB | Viewed 890 times ]
knobs8ts.jpg
knobs8ts.jpg [ 29.85 KiB | Viewed 890 times ]

Post subject: Re: Got a Blonde 8TS30 today from eBay
PostPosted: Oct Tue 24, 2017 10:04 am 

I always thought that was the most underrated vintage TV around. With the deco styling and the blonde color, it's a really appealing model. The blonde RCA's have to have to those light knobs. They look terrible with the dark ones. Good luck getting it back in shape. I've never actually seen a nice complete original or a completely restored one.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 24, 2017 7:44 pm 

That looks just like Fada on Craigslist near me. I am very tempted to get it, but then I will have three sets from the late '40's that don't work! Good luck with your restoration! It's a nice looking set!

PostPosted: Oct Tue 24, 2017 9:33 pm 

That looks like it is finished with a light colored stain instead of that almost paint like stuff that I see on other blonde cabinets. So there is a good chance you can match it and make it look good. As I understand it, that other type of blonde finish mostly can't be fixed or matched.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 25, 2017 1:39 am 

Took inventory of the Milk Chocolate colored knobs and they are all there, including the channel 1 number plate.

Attachments:
8tsknobs.jpg
8tsknobs.jpg [ 12.27 KiB | Viewed 778 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Wed 25, 2017 3:36 am 

Eric H wrote:
Took inventory of the Milk Chocolate colored knobs and they are all there, including the channel 1 number plate.

At this point in time I am convinced that a number of blonde RCA models left the factory with non-beige painted knobs, but, I must say, these blonde sets look so much better with them. The lighter one's you have are the next best.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 25, 2017 6:24 am 

I've never seen a Blonde RCA with Beige knobs, only this light Chocolate color or standard Black that were probably wrong.
I have seen them painted this color but these appear to actually be made from lighter colored plastic with no paint.

I wonder if RCA painted some of their black knobs due to a shortage of the correct color, or if it was a stop gap solution when they
realized the sets didn't look right with dark knobs?

Anyway here's a better picture comparing the blonde knob to a standard black one, I think Chestnut is more accurate than Chocolate.

Attachments:
knobcompare.jpg
knobcompare.jpg [ 13.12 KiB | Viewed 754 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Wed 25, 2017 10:13 am 

Eric H wrote:
I've never seen a Blonde RCA with Beige knobs, only this light Chocolate color or standard Black that were probably wrong.
I have seen them painted this color but these appear to actually be made from lighter colored plastic with no paint.

I wonder if RCA painted some of their black knobs due to a shortage of the correct color, or if it was a stop gap solution when they
realized the sets didn't look right with dark knobs?

Anyway here's a better picture comparing the blonde knob to a standard black one, I think Chestnut is more accurate than Chocolate.

I've occasionally seen chippy/worn-painted beige knobs on the 621TS. I'm sure that there was variations in what was put on the blonde sets as time went on. Early on it must've been decided that painting the knobs was too troublesome, although it looked really on the sets.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 26, 2017 2:34 am 

Hit a snag tonight, I pulled the "Parts set" off the shelf tonight to assess the situation, it has been stored face in on the shelf of the garage for probably a decade so I forgot the details about it's condition, other than it looks pretty dirty and sad from the back.

After pulling it off the shelf and having a fresh look I think it's too nice to be a parts donor! It only has a few small veneer chips out of the rear sides, the finish is shot but no major issues I can see.

It also has a feature that seems to be pretty rare for an 8TS, a Double D mask! Most of them seem to have a rectangular mask, including the Blonde I just got.

Other than the space it takes up to have two of these beasts it's not really a problem, I can come up with another 10BP4 and a back and lid will turn up eventually.

Speaking of the CRT, this one has a Cal(ifornia) Video rebuilt that checks like new except for a small bit of H-K leakage, what I didn't know (or had forgotten) was that it's a 10FP4 Aluminized tube.

I found a chunk of CRT bell in the cabinet of the blond set, whatever happened to it was more than just getting the neck knocked off, maybe something fell on it while the lid was missing or it was shipped with one of the Parcel Smasher services. The front shafts also sit too low to get the knobs on easily so I think the bolt brackets may be bent upward a bit.

Attachments:
mah8ts30.jpg
mah8ts30.jpg [ 52.63 KiB | Viewed 702 times ]

Last edited by Eric H on Oct Thu 26, 2017 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 26, 2017 4:44 am 

That does look too nice to be a parts set. How hard would it be to make a new lid for the blonde set?

PostPosted: Oct Thu 26, 2017 6:51 am 

Tom Schulz wrote:
That does look too nice to be a parts set. How hard would it be to make a new lid for the blonde set?

For me? very hard, having no woodworking tools and all. (or skills) :lol:

PostPosted: Oct Fri 27, 2017 3:59 am 

I already have a project on the bench so I can't jump in to a full restore of this thing but I had to know what the chassis would do as is.

I pulled it out and found a pair of 5U4's and the tubes for the Horizontal section, 6AL5, 6K6, 5V4, 6SN7, 6BG6, and 1B3, then I brought it up on the Variac.

At about 60 volts one of the 5U4's started flashing so I backed it off and brought it up more slowly, I eventually got it to about 100 volts with only a little over one amp of draw, a couple of the cans got slightly warm but not too warm.

At that point I was getting nothing at all at the Flyback, no oscillator, no spark at the 6BG6 cap, zilch. I noticed the "Chimney" where the big resistors are was stone cold so maybe there's some open sections.

Anyway, curiosity satisfied so back in the cabinet and on the shelf for now.

I did find the HV cage stashed inside the cabinet, wrapped in Newspaper from 2012, I also found a couple more chunks of CRT under the chassis, the CRT base had a date code of April 1948 so it was most likely the original tube, hopefully it was shot anyhow.