Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 18, 2018 7:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Heathkit roundie GR-53
PostPosted: Dec Wed 13, 2017 7:37 pm 

Great News !
Well for me anyways
I was able to find and purchase the Whole Manual from a place Called Radio -Mart, I got lucky as no one I could find had it.
Even has Alignment in detail using sweep. shows how chassis wiring dress should be and all that
and additional production changes.
I had to make room for Christmas Visitors but have the chassis on the Bench and now that I have the manuals I will work on it as I can

Terry

Attachments:
heathkitgr5.jpg
heathkitgr5.jpg [ 224.33 KiB | Viewed 2032 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Fri 22, 2017 2:02 am 

Good to know, enjoy your holidays.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 24, 2017 1:35 am 

Boy what a pain, I lugged the original Mask and CRT upstairs then another set of stairs to my Hobby/Shop Area.
here it is Running on its Original Picture tube and Deflection parts.
no alignments done at all in the chroma or i.f area, just CRT setup and some Convergence setups
and yes the Tuner is set at Wide, I have like 4 versions of these off Air converter Boxes and keep loosing Remotes.
So I cant set the correct Aspect at the time of snapping images
Really interesting to see the whole CRT on top and running, you can see RCA's etched in sort of Red on top.
still a lot of work needs to be done, Bad full Vert Sweep, looks like the Vert Amp is clipping, it just lacks some v Sweep.
just about all Caps now replaced
:)

Attachments:
pain.jpg
pain.jpg [ 155 KiB | Viewed 1884 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Sun 24, 2017 9:51 pm 

Found the poor V-Linearity problem, R327 in series with the V-lin Control was supposed to be a 1.8K ! W resistor, it had a 1/2W 1.8K and of course about cooked.
Fun on Christmas Eve

Terry

Attachments:
20171224_143321_resized.jpg
20171224_143321_resized.jpg [ 197.06 KiB | Viewed 1858 times ]
20171224_143350_resized.jpg
20171224_143350_resized.jpg [ 130.32 KiB | Viewed 1858 times ]
20171224_143529_resized.jpg
20171224_143529_resized.jpg [ 58.65 KiB | Viewed 1846 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Mon 25, 2017 8:56 pm 

Just in time to watch some holiday shows with bright colors.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 26, 2017 5:32 pm 

That's really coming along nicely :)

PostPosted: Jan Mon 08, 2018 8:21 pm 

Some updates on the Heathkit GR-53A chassis
one of the Big problems with this chassis that i had been trying to iron out was a Hum- or S Rolling thru the picture.
this was one of the problems i had discribed a few weeks ago.
it was bad enough to make you think Filter caps were bad, but no there was no Hum or "Ripple" in the B+ supplies as I scoped out.
I had even jumpered in new Filters and Replaced one that had marginal ESR
the S or what i think it would be called now "Swimming " thru the image almost looked like AC crosstalk from a nearby Transformer
or H-K leakage in a Tube.
what I found is Every Board had no Wired connection to chassis ground, just Nuts and Screws.
I ran Solid jumper wires from Each Board in a central location to a ground terminal on the Center of the chassis.
the Swimming is all Gone !!

the live picture taken show that i still have not completed a good Convergence yet, but it looks Great as is !
I am happy to find this annoying problem !

maybe this could help out others who have this Set

Terry

Attachments:
g53grn.jpg
g53grn.jpg [ 180.76 KiB | Viewed 1640 times ]
g53grnfix.jpg
g53grnfix.jpg [ 142.73 KiB | Viewed 1640 times ]

Last edited by wiseguy on Jan Tue 09, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 09, 2018 12:29 am 

wiseguy wrote:
what I found is Every Board had no Wired connection to chassis ground, just Nuts and Screws. I ran Solid jumper wires from Each Board in a central location to a ground terminal on the Center of the chassis. the Swimming is all Gone !!
Nice detective work! Ground connections sure are important :)

I did a similar mod on one of my Philco Predictas. On that main board, there are several lugs to provide ground connections to various circuits. But those lugs are independent of each other, and if one of them has a bad connection, "unexpected results" may occur. To prevent future grief, I soldered a lead around the board to connect all the lugs into a single ground bus.

Your picture is really shaping up. By the time you're done, you may have the best-looking Heathkit roundie on planet Earth.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/index.html

PostPosted: Jan Tue 09, 2018 2:53 am 

Excellent work, Terry. I had similar grounding issues in a Heathkit ham transceiver that caused all sorts of strange symptoms and drove me nuts. The screws, nuts and star washers may have made adequate grounds when these things were new but 50 years later, not so much.

That picture looks great!

-Clark

PostPosted: Jan Tue 09, 2018 11:44 am 

Clark, K9OA wrote:
Excellent work, Terry. I had similar grounding issues in a Heathkit ham transceiver that caused all sorts of strange symptoms and drove me nuts. The screws, nuts and star washers may have made adequate grounds when these things were new but 50 years later, not so much.

-Clark

How I found this problem is when i had the VTVM ( TS-505D/U the military one) attached to do some simple Audio alignments that were also bugging me and i noticed the meter kept almost pegging in the 5 volt scale.
then i moved the probe to one of the circuit board grounds with Neg attached to chassis and found the Ground differences.
there was like a 5-6 volt difference and changing up and down by itself, thats when i looked for where the grounding of the boards were.. none, but screws and nuts.
i knew right away thats a problem, hard wiring all boards to chassis eliminated the Strange problems

Terry

PostPosted: Jan Tue 09, 2018 9:44 pm 

wiseguy wrote:
Clark, K9OA wrote:

-Clark

How I found this problem is when i had the VTVM ( TS-505D/U the military one) attached to do some simple Audio alignments that were also bugging me and i noticed the meter kept almost pegging in the 5 volt scale.
then i moved the probe to one of the circuit board grounds with Neg attached to chassis and found the Ground differences.
there was like a 5-6 volt difference and changing up and down by itself, thats when i looked for where the grounding of the boards were.. none, but screws and nuts.
i knew right away thats a problem, hard wiring all boards to chassis eliminated the Strange problems

Terry

RCA sets of the time did a slightly better job in making the board mounts/ground connections a solder system, but those sometimes cold solder joints that can create similar problems...If it gets espeially bad some tubes will not light (heaters returned through ground).

PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 12:15 am 

Fun with Traps and broken slugs
so this afternoon I decided to try and do some i.f alignments starting with the Traps
there are a total of 7 adjustments in a handfull of Transformers, some with 2 slugs
using modulated 400hz at each 39.75, 41.25 and 47.25
I used a B&K 415 for this with 75ohm termination at Mixer Grid
T203 had a broken slug. T203 lower was froze and broke, then L201 froze and broke
I knew it would need full alignment because the heathkit green alignment tool was stuck inside T203.

one by one I had to remove the Transformers and pick out the broken slug, but I could not figure out their size

so I had one of the digital stylus gauges and what I did was weigh the crumbs then match up a replacement slug, ( and oh I do not do Crack/Cochane LOL, the stylus Gauge had a purpose)
looks like 3 different sizes, it worked out Great picking the weight to match replacement size

I have to say this whole Trap alignment made a HUGE difference in picture quality, and learned a few things about it as well
the alignment manual has been a big help .
now the fun comes when its time to to bandpass and other chroma alignment.
i may just stop and pass it on to one of you, so dont be surprised if you see it go for sale, i just do not have room, but who knows..

maybe the tip above trying to guess replacement slug size can help others.
the picture is Really Fantastic now, maybe could get better with chroma and bandpass?
I have not completed and Convergence Rebuild yet.

Attachments:
20180113_163039_resized.jpg
20180113_163039_resized.jpg [ 97.38 KiB | Viewed 1496 times ]
20180113_162548_resized.jpg
20180113_162548_resized.jpg [ 145.01 KiB | Viewed 1496 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 6:26 am 

Hey mate!
That set ain't broke!
Stop fixing it!

Seriously, I don't think I've seen NTSC look any better than that. Most ingenious solution with the slugs, though.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 12:34 pm 

irob2345 wrote:
Hey mate!
That set ain't broke!
Stop fixing it!

Seriously, I don't think I've seen NTSC look any better than that. Most ingenious solution with the slugs, though.

Yesterday was the first time I was able to get the set working on its own tuner/ and I.F strip. (well only past 2nd video I.F)
in previous posts and pictures shown I had injected Video via a sencore Generator, then ext video into the Generator from a digital box
so that I could iron out many other things one by one
this last picture above is the set running on its own tuner now and i.F strip

so I considered it broke when the I.F strip was bad. along with all the other problems when I got it

yesterday was a Huge accomplishment getting all this Aligned to work on its own, now :)

Terry

Last edited by wiseguy on Jan Sun 14, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 6:29 pm 

Hey, Terry. Once again, great job cleaning up the mess that the original builder left behind.

I'm still interested in the set, so if you decide to sell it we should talk.

-Clark

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 5:08 am 

Thanks for the grounding and coil-slug tips, Terry. Your set's picture looks excellent now, I don't think it could get much better if you tried.

I can just imagine asking about buying a scale... "I need it to measure my broken TV coil slug parts." "Sure, buddy, here, do you want a couple of straws to sniff your 'TV parts', too?" (-:

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 11:53 am 

ChrisW6ATV wrote:
Thanks for the grounding and coil-slug tips, Terry. Your set's picture looks excellent now, I don't think it could get much better if you tried.

I can just imagine asking about buying a scale... "I need it to measure my broken TV coil slug parts." "Sure, buddy, here, do you want a couple of straws to sniff your 'TV parts', too?" (-:

Well I went as far with this set that I wanted to go, so I passed it to someone here who has lots of room and he can finish up any details.
we loaded it into my truck about a week and half ago and lugged it into his Home .

I had my fun and Enjoyment with it now someone else can who has room.

and those Digital stylus scales are on ebay for like $13 bucks, I didn't think I would be ever using it for anything else other than stylus pressure

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 1:20 pm 

Interesting old set you have picked up!
Down here in Oz there was no color transmission till 1975 so all my vintage tv collection from the 50s and 60s are B/W
They did a color test transmission in 67 I think though.

Nice find!

Pete

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 58 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3