Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 11, 2017 10:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Research-Need photo of 1953 GE TV table model
PostPosted: Oct Thu 26, 2017 4:23 pm 

For research - Need (preferably an) advert photo of 1953 GE TV table model. The only images I've found are for the 1951 and 1955 model years that show a TABLE MODEL. I need to have a photo of their 1953 product. It had either a 16 or 17" CRT.

Thanks,
Robert

Post subject: Re: Research-Need photo of 1953 GE TV table model
PostPosted: Oct Thu 26, 2017 4:42 pm 

Here is the 1953-54 GE advertising brochure, looks like the smallest table models featured are 21" sets though:

http://www.tvhistory.tv/1953-54-GE-Brochure-USA.JPG

This 1952 ad has a drawing of a 17" set included, but that's not likely to be very helpful for your needs:

http://www.tvhistory.tv/1952_SEPost_GE.jpg

You may be more likely to find what you are looking for by searching archives of the Saturday Evening Post, Good Housekeeping, or other major magazines of that year since those are places where GE would have placed advertising for their products. Note that it would be unusual for a manufacturer to feature an entry level model like a 17" table model in very much of their advertising, since they wanted to sell the more expensive units. The 17" model in the 1952 drawing would have been a carryover model using the basic narrow profile series string chassis they had been building for years. It's going to be an updated version of this set:

http://www.tvhistory.tv/1951_3-31_Sat_E ... _GE_AD.jpg

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

Post subject: Re: Research-Need photo of 1953 GE TV table model
PostPosted: Oct Fri 27, 2017 1:14 am 

The March 31, 1951 SEP table model looks right. I was 7 at the time and just about all I remember is the little drop-down plastic door for the secondary controls. The only other thing I remember is that when Eisenhower was sworn in Tuesday Jan 20th 1953 we did not have a TV. My 2nd grade class marched from the school about 4 blocks to a house where we watched the event. Other than seeing the event on TV, the only other thing I remember was that the host mom had a big samovar dispensing hot clove and cinnamon infused orange tea. Talk about exotic! I think it was April or May before dad got our TV installed.

Robert