Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 5:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Magnavox console TV/Radio/Phono
PostPosted: Oct Sat 28, 2017 8:01 pm 

Hi! I'm 15 and just got my first tube TV! It's a Magnavox. It has the vertical chassis, with the tubes on the outside and the components on the other side. It has a separate tube amp, 2 speakers, and a radio chassis. I don't have a model number or any photos at this time. The radio and TV controls are behind a door in the front, and I believe the TV tuner/controls are bolted to the radio chassis, or right above it. I haven't pulled anything out yet except for the amp.

I plan to restore the amp first, all the chassis have some cadmium corrosion on them, so I plan to use some naval jelly and clean that up, then go over it with metal polish. Then I will order the capacitors I need since I don't have any in stock. All the tubes test good. Only things I see wrong are the yoke is disconnected for some reason, but that may have been to remove the chassis, since you need to take off the yoke to get the chassis off, but there is no socket for the yoke, so someone probably just cut the wires. I'm gonna have to open the yoke up to repair the yellow wire. The flyback looks to be good condition, as well as the CRT. Only other issue is the keyway from the CRT is missing, but it still looks to be under vacuum. I also get continuity on 2 of the pins, so I assume that's the filament.

I was wondering if anyone would live near Lockport/Chicago, IL and could test the CRT for me, or if anyone has an extra CRT tester, as I don't have one, and want to know if the tube is usable enough. It did have a brightner on it, but the guns don't seem discolored or anything. It's an in-line gun tube. I will try and get photos tomorrow if I can of the set, so you can identify it for me. I didn't get any paperwork or anything with it. I got it at a garage sale for $10. My grandparents actually bought it, and I didn't know it had a brightner. But I have it, and feel it's worth a shot to see if it's usable!

All the knobs are there and everything looks to be complete. I will also have to restring the radio dial string. Thanks for your help!

Post subject: Re: Magnavox console TV/Radio/Phono
PostPosted: Oct Sat 28, 2017 11:10 pm 

What you need to find first is the chassis numbers for the TV AND the stereo. Usually
starts with a T or U. Example is T991-01-AB. Find them on small tags (apx 1" X 1/2" ).
Often in a stupid spot ! Trouble is Maggy used different chassis in the same model so
model numbers were for cabinet parts only. Tags often fell off so watch for them floating
around inside.

The audio should be easy to get going. The hardest thing is the dial cord, that takes a
special knack that I dont have !

Keep us posted, take it slow & ask as you go. Lots here to help you along.

73 Zeno 8)
LFOD !

PostPosted: Oct Sun 29, 2017 9:00 pm 

Thank you! I look forward to restoring this set, as well as getting all minor issues solved. I'm praying the CRT is good enough to use. I just got done cleaning up the amp chassis, I used some naval jelly to remove all the cadmium oxide, then went over it with some WD-40 to clean it up. It turned out pretty nice! All I have left to do are take off the transformer bells, strip them, and repaint them. I also need to restore it electronically, and I plan to do that next. I guess I will need to order new capacitors, since I don't have many. I only have 5 caps to change out, and the 2 electrolytic cans.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 29, 2017 9:08 pm 

Here are pictures of the cleaned up amp chassis, as well as the rest of the set for you guys to evaluate! I hope that CRT is good, it's missing the keyway. Here is an album with the images. It won't let me upload them directly here, they are too big, and I don't feel like resizing them all. Sorry. Here: https://imgur.com/a/tR0mP

PostPosted: Oct Mon 30, 2017 12:12 am 

Cool mid-century styled TV! Good luck with the resto. I see you got the bug for these old sets early on as I did. It's a great hobby that has never gotten old for me.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 30, 2017 1:16 am 

It is! I love the look of it! Thanks! I hope I can get it going! I want to get a CRT tester to check my tube. And yeah, it really is a fun hobby, and I don't see myself ever getting out of it either!

PostPosted: Oct Mon 30, 2017 11:14 pm 

Does anyone know the value of the bumblebee cap in the amp chassis?

PostPosted: Oct Mon 30, 2017 11:27 pm 

CrankTelephone101 wrote:
Does anyone know the value of the bumblebee cap in the amp chassis?

From the color code it looks like a 0.68uF to me, but those things are sorta hard to read, and of course everything is faded from age (including my eyes and brain! :wink: ). Lacking the schematic, you could trace out the circuitry around it which might give you an idea of its function and thus its approximate value.

I presume that's a stereo amp, with push-pull 6V6s. What are the other tubes?

PostPosted: Nov Wed 01, 2017 1:30 am 

Thanks! I'm gonna order the caps from Sal, and I have a question.

The electrolytic cans are rated for 475V, and Sal only has 450V electrolytics. Would it be okay to use 450V ones instead of 475V? I don't know what voltage is actually on the caps in this unit when it is operating. Keep in mind i'm only doing the amp chassis right now.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 01, 2017 2:20 am 

CrankTelephone101 wrote:
Here are pictures of the cleaned up amp chassis, as well as the rest of the set for you guys to evaluate! I hope that CRT is good, it's missing the keyway. Here is an album with the images. It won't let me upload them directly here, they are too big, and I don't feel like resizing them all. Sorry. Here: https://imgur.com/a/tR0mP

Looking at the pictures of the amplifier, that is one of Magnavox's best Mono Hi-Fi amps using parallel Push-Pull 6V6's. it has a rated output power of 20 watts. It is NOT Stereo.
i did notice the tube lineup on that amp & noticed that there is a 5U4 on it. that is the wrong tube. that amp uses two 5Y3's. you will need to either replace the 5U4 with a 5Y3, or remove the other 5Y3 & use the 5U4 as the sole rectifier & leave the other socket empty. if you leave it like it is, you risk burning up the 5 volt winding on the amp's power transformer.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 01, 2017 2:28 am 

CrankTelephone101 wrote:

The electrolytic cans are rated for 475V, and Sal only has 450V electrolytics. Would it be okay to use 450V ones instead of 475V? I don't know what voltage is actually on the caps in this unit when it is operating. Keep in mind i'm only doing the amp chassis right now.

I would strongly suggest 500 volt capacitors.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 01, 2017 2:33 am 

robert1 wrote:
CrankTelephone101 wrote:

Looking at the pictures of the amplifier, that is one of Magnavox's best Mono Hi-Fi amps using parallel Push-Pull 6V6's. it has a rated output power of 20 watts. It is NOT Stereo.
i did notice the tube lineup on that amp & noticed that there is a 5U4 on it. that is the wrong tube. that amp uses two 5Y3's. you will need to either replace the 5U4 with a 5Y3, or remove the other 5Y3 & use the 5U4 as the sole rectifier & leave the other socket empty. if you leave it like it is, you risk burning up the 5 volt winding on the amp's power transformer.

Thanks for the info! it does look like a good amp. And I forgot to mention the tube lineup. Thanks for pointing that out, I had already noticed it was the wrong tube when I was cleaning the chassis. How did I do with the chassis? The whole thing was covered in green cadmium corrosion before. I cleaned it all off using naval jelly. I think it looks nice! I'm gonna pull the transformer bells off too, and repaint them. And I hope the transformer isn't damaged... I have plenty of 5Y3's around, so I will put a new one in it.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 01, 2017 2:35 am 

robert1 wrote:
CrankTelephone101 wrote:

I would strongly suggest 500 volt capacitors.

That's what I thought. Does Sal carry 500 volt electrolytics? I only see up to 450 volt.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 01, 2017 2:48 am 

CrankTelephone101 wrote:
robert1 wrote:
CrankTelephone101 wrote:

Quote:
That's what I thought. Does Sal carry 500 volt electrolytics? I only see up to 450 volt.

Not likely, you might have to go to Mouser or Digikey for them.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 01, 2017 5:53 pm 

I will have to see then. I was hoping to just use one supplier so I don't have to use multiple sites to get the parts, but that may be the only way to do it.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 04, 2017 7:41 pm 

Is anyone who is working on one of these amps able to tell me what the actual voltage on the filter caps is, so I can see if I can get away with using 450V caps?

I just started cleaning the cadmium corrosion out of the radio chassis today, and that is already turning out nice. The radio uses 450V rated caps, unlike the amp, which uses 475V. Also, can anyone recommend a good metal polish, that will clean up the chassis some more after removing the corrosion and restoring the shine to the chassis with naval jelly? I just want something to go over it and make it look real nice.
Thanks, -CT101

PostPosted: Nov Sat 04, 2017 9:09 pm 

In Tung-Sol spec sheet it gives max plate voltage as 315V. 450V caps were
the norm on most cans. BUT why spend the extra $$ for 500V cans.
I would use 450 V BUT dont leave it on when you go for a beer run.
They are probably OK so get it running & measure the B+ to be sure.

73 Zeno 8)
LFOD !

PostPosted: Nov Tue 07, 2017 4:53 am 

Thanks for the info! That's what I thought. I will probably do just that, and at least get an idea for how high the B+ will be, so I can see if it's necessary to get higher rated caps.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2017 3:27 am 

Hi guys. I pulled the TV chassis out the other day, and found that the CRT is a 24AHP4. Is this a rare/expensive tube? I don't know the condition of it, so I hope there is a replacement available if mine turns out to be bad. This is my first tube TV, so it would be nice to have a good CRT.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2017 5:08 am 

24-inch CRTs are much less common than 21-inch ones from that era, but not impossible to find if you do need to replace it. It will be worth finding or borrowing a good CRT tester to check it before worrying that it is bad. Good luck and welcome to the crazy, fun world of early TV collecting and restoration.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 24 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page 1, 2  Next