Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 4:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: questions about the French Teleavia
PostPosted: Nov Thu 02, 2017 2:18 am 

The French made Teleavia is one of the most wildly futuristic sets ever made. its similar to Philcos predicta in its use of a separately housed,swiveling picture tube.Its an incredible design. I'd love to own one,but since its a French set they weren't likely ever sold out here and not many ever seem to turn up for sale online.
Has anyone here seen one of these in person? I am also curious if this model had its own name since "Teleavia" appears to be the brand name. I have seen brochures posted online with the Teleavia brand,so I assumed the tv model may have its own name just as Philcos was predicta.

I've also wondered where the channel indicators are since I don't see any in the photo.

Last edited by Hi-Fi in Fiberglass on Nov Thu 02, 2017 2:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: questions about the French Teleavia
PostPosted: Nov Thu 02, 2017 2:19 am 

Teleavia brochure from later sets.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 02, 2017 6:55 am 

I have seen only one of those sets in person, at the Musée National d'Art Moderne in Paris.

This page from my website has a little more info, including a brief article from Practical Television magazine of July, 1958:

https://antiqueradio.org/PracticalTelevision.htm

I believe they were not sold in the US, and they rarely if ever come up for sale here. I recall seeing one of them on eBay several years ago.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/index.html

PostPosted: Nov Thu 02, 2017 8:33 pm 

Thanks for the link Phil. I am going to read the article about it. I know I saw one on ebay many years back,I think it was a couple thousand dollars,I honestly cant remember exactly. I am sure the shipping would have been incredibly expensive for something of this nature and it would likely not survive.
Its a very cool set.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 03, 2017 1:35 pm 

I've seen one in a private collection on this side of the pond. It has a unique look to it and feels more "delicate" than the Predicta. You are right though, shipping would be a challenge. I've shipped televisions both to and from France and held my breath in both directions.