Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 17, 2017 3:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Philco Predicta princess
PostPosted: Nov Sat 11, 2017 3:29 am 

Hi guys,

New to this wonderful forum, for years I was looking for a nice Philco TV set, and finally my sturdiness pays off, I found one locally (Bogota-Colombia) in mint condition including the little table, my technician restored it and love it. My question is how often should I turn it on and for how long??

Attachment:
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg [ 31.35 KiB | Viewed 419 times ]

Gustavo

Post subject: Re: Philco Predicta princess
PostPosted: Nov Sat 11, 2017 3:39 pm 

Tough question. The biggest thing is the condition of the picture tube. If it is weak and you don't have a spare you might want to view it very occasionally. Or perhaps you are the type that would rather enjoy it while you can. In my case, I have a NOS picture tube and an OK spare, so I watch when I like, usually once a week for a few hours.

In general, these sets were run for hours a day, every day. So they were made to take some hours. I'm a "smoke 'em if ya got 'em" kinda guy and the Princess isn't a particularly rare set. Also, if you keep the brightness down and watch in a dark room it will last longer.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 11, 2017 10:15 pm 

I run my old TV sets regularly usually on a news show. I don't leave the set on all day as was done back in the day.

I believe if the set is never turned on capacitors loose their form and tubes deactivate.

The CRT is the hard to get part and I keep a spare for the small sets and figure when I put in the spare it is time for the shelf.

My predicta is on daily for 5:00 news, My RCA 621TS is on Sunday morning for meet the press. I have a couple of 7JP4 sets that get run occasionally. These are all hard to get CRT's.

Jim

PostPosted: Nov Sat 11, 2017 11:26 pm 

Thanks guys! An interesting topic, I will use my predicta to watch laserdisc classic movies once a week, I really love this TV set, will try to find o other one for spares.....

Attachment:
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg [ 95.21 KiB | Viewed 353 times ]

Gustavo