Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 1:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Why don't Emerson TV's get more attention?
PostPosted: Nov Wed 15, 2017 6:33 am 

Eric H wrote:
early Emerson sets, like the 571 are a nightmare to rebuild with their five rectifier tubes and their nine electrolytic cans mounted on the chassis. :x
Oh, the 609 has that beat, with a total of 25 electrolytics: 11 cans containing 16 caps, plus 9 "free range" electrolytics scattered elsewhere.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/index.html

PostPosted: Nov Tue 21, 2017 11:29 pm 

Don't know about the earlies stuff, but the color sets from the 60's on were clones, and they typically used cheaper parts and components. On the color set for example the crt bezel was made from plastic vs. metal on Rca's, Zenith's and other majors.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2017 6:49 pm 

I owned two Emerson 609's and thought they were an interesting set.

The chassis was obviously designed for a 10 inch CRT and then factory modified for the Protelgram projection.

As I recall the set was partially series string but had a power transformer for some part, maybe the projection HV supply.

I aligned the optics in a bunch of Protelgram projection sets and you don't need any kind of factory alignment tools. It helps if you can generate a cross hatch, I use a B&K 1077B.

The front surface mirror in the top lid is very critical for reflectivity. I tried various suppliers and never got anything close to the original. The result is a dim picture. The optics in the box were less likely to get prying hands with Ajax cleaner.

I thought maybe I could get a mirror out of a big junk modern projection set and cut it down.

Also Protelgram made several versions of the optical box with different aspherical correction lenses. (the lens in the top of the box). If you have the wrong lens for your throw distance, you can't get even focus across the screen.

Be careful with the CRT as if you don't have scan failure protection, burning a line in the Aluminized CRT is real easy.

I moved on to a Scott 6T-11 for less floor space.

Jim

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 23 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page Previous  1, 2