Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 17, 2017 10:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: '86 Curtis-Mathes TV- LOUD crackling, static sound/repair??
PostPosted: Nov Fri 17, 2017 1:11 am 

Hi All. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Not an antique, but a vintage 1980s TV
I've a Curtis-Mathes 1986 TV - has worked beautifully since I bought it for one whole dollar at Goodwill about five years ago. Not long ago, I was in the kitchen and scared out of my shoes with the most horrendous, loud electrical hash sound coming from the TV- I ran in and there was no real picture, just weird aurora borealis-like colors swirling in the center, and horrid crackling, popping and static sound very loud blasting from the TV (I think from inside the set but I can't be sure if from speakers or set). I saw no smoke, smelled no burning, but who knows. I immediately turned it off. The sound was so frightful that the cats refuse to sleep in the living room since then and gingerly walk past the TV when they pass. Yes, the sound memory still gives me chills. I tried giving it one more powering on since then, and whew that same crazy "electrical storm". I shut it off and unplugged it.

BULK ITEM PICK UP FOR OUR CITY TRASH IS IN FOUR DAYS- SHALL I OR SHAN'T I SET IT OUT TO THE CURB?

I am no electrician, and many of your folks posts could be written in Chinese they are that technical for me. My basic question is, is this a repairable issue? It's such a beautiful set, has the real wood outside it, and rich audio, and made in America (I grabbed it just because of that) says Made in IRVING,TX 1986.

If it CAN be repaired, can you help in maybe giving me a general idea of what the issue is or could be? OR- if there is a website or forum where I can look up issues on old TVs. Ive searched online for hours and can not find any issues relating to mine.

Even if you can direct me to another site with more info, or any thing you can tell me would be a great help to me.

Thanks guys

Post subject: Re: '86 Curtis-Mathes TV- LOUD crackling, static sound/repai
PostPosted: Nov Fri 17, 2017 5:11 am 

Likely the insulation on some of the HV wiring or tripler has broken down, 27Kv takes it's toll on on these parts... Unless there is someone nearby that can help, probably your best bet is park it on the curb and wave good bye...

PostPosted: Nov Fri 17, 2017 5:42 am 

Aww shucks.. I was SO proud of my made in US television. And it's a beaut. Thanks, I thought as much. Sounded very "high voltage"! when it did that. Got the 3 basic colors swirling in an Aurora Borealis swirl on the screen that the tube has,and even with zero electrical background, I knew Uh Oh- those are the colors the HV carries (?) and that sound was unGodly. Glad my house didn't burn down and take us all with it.

Out to the curb, My Beauty....

PostPosted: Nov Fri 17, 2017 2:45 pm 

The set was "assembled" in TX but most likely was made by NEC.
They did get holes in the HV transformer & arc like crazy. Only
way to be sure is open it & see where its arcing. Not to hard to
fix but you gotta find one or a donor TV. I would curb it. Plenty
of consoles from that era you can adopt for free.

Curtis Mathis
Requiescat in Pace

73 Zeno 8)
LFOD !

PostPosted: Nov Sun 19, 2017 9:46 pm 

I had a similar problem with an RCA 1990's era 20 inch set. The flyback insulation had cracked open and there was a loud, firecracker like arc to the frame through the crack. I cleaned it off and sanded the crack slightly and then puddled a liberal amount of two part clear epoxy (LokTite brand) all over the area of the crack, let it dry, and all was well and has been for years.

There are a number of old ladies on this forum who will start screeching that the epoxy might be a fire hazard, that I am violating UL regulations and so forth, however I tested it on a HiPot machine at work and it didn't break down at 60 KV so I was satisfied. And it totally solved the problem. The RCA flyback is sort of a molded fiberglass thing, or at least is fairly hard and of some sort of similar material.

In your case you will have to remove the back and see if you see the fireworks and where they are. The flyback is the part that the long red wire from the side of the picture tube bell connects to. Usually white on newer sets, and usually has some sealant plopped around on it. The older ones had a sort of rubber coating on them and the epoxy won't be right for those, you would have to try something else like RTV.

http://www.wb6nvh.com