Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 6:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Questions about zenith porthole table top model
PostPosted: Nov Sun 19, 2017 12:09 am 

Hi,I have a chance to get a zenith porthole set,it's complete with all knobs and back. Looks like the case is made of wood but covered in tan / blonde style covering similar to that used on portable record players of the era. Seller doesn't know condition of crt. Or if set works.It has two cloth panels,one on each side,which I assume are the speaker and a vent for cooling? Physical condition is excellent.

What is decent price for the set? I don't have a photo as I'm out right now

Post subject: Re: Questions about zenith porthole table top model
PostPosted: Nov Sun 19, 2017 1:35 am 

I have two Zenith table-top portholes as well as other consoles.

Its hard to give an approximate value without a picture. I would not pay over 100.00 for any unrestored table-top Zenith Porthole. I assume the porthole is outfitted with a 12up4 crt which are rather prone to failure in my experience. Out of all my Zenith Portholes only two 12up4s were good.

Also in my opinion, the Zenith Porthole can be difficult to restore but it can be done with proper patience and guidance here on the forum. Also the Zenith Portholes were not very friendly to their flybacks .