Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 17, 2017 9:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Did Colonial/Sylvania build television chassis for Magnavox?
PostPosted: Nov Tue 21, 2017 11:12 pm 

Greetings:

This question may not have an answer which is OK with me.

I finally obtained a Rider Television Manual Vol 4 binder for a search that I'm doing. While leafing through the Rider binder I noticed a Magnavox MCT-228 chassis layout that is used in television model MV71A. Magnavox model MV71A was posted on this forum on Jan 4, 2007 by a Mr. TDC".

What caught my eye is the MCT-228 Magnavox television chassis layout is identical except for the tuner as are 4 of the Sears Silvertone chassis numbers 101.865-1, 101.866, 101.867 and 101.868 shown in Volume 4.

The "101" is the Sears Supplier code for Colonial Radio Corporation which after WWII became a part of the Sylvania Television Division.

I have not matched each schematic but a quick overview of the (5) schematics is that they all look identical except for the tuners.

My question is does anyone know if Colonial did supply an identical (Silvertone) television chassis to Magnavox?

Sure looks to me like Colonial / Sylvania did. Not a problem just a historical television curiosity.

Thank you.

John

Post subject: Re: Did Colonial/Sylvania build television chassis for Magna
PostPosted: Nov Tue 21, 2017 11:34 pm 

I don't know what era these sets were built, but Sylvania and Magnavox (and Philco) were all merged together in the early 1980s as North American Philips Consumer Electronics Corp. So it certainly is possible that those chassis models were built by (perhaps) a combined Magnavox and Sylvania. I still have a 13" Magnavox with an MC-1 chassis (IIRC) from when I worked at NAPCEC, about 1984.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2017 3:08 pm 

My apologies to AJ2X and all:

The era is approximately the 1949 sales / television advertising year for the chassis numbers noted.

Using the Sears Silvertone Television / Entertainment chassis 101.866 for models 9133 and 1934 the television circuit design was probably approved during mid 1948. I do not know from the Sears / Colonial chassis numbering system if the numbers are in increasing order; meaning the 101.865-1 was the first design and 101.868 was the last.

May have been that Colonial offered the television chassis to Magnavox first and Sears said, "hey, we want that one too"! I'm just surprised that at one time Magnavox and Sears sold the identical television chassis. For me it doesn't seem to happen that often with the named brands.

John

PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 6:37 pm 

Perhaps Magnavox wanted to get into the TV business and hadn't yet got their own production completely up and running, but needed something with which to compete.