Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Thu 21, 2018 5:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Quick CRT test - if you don't have a CRT tester
PostPosted: Dec Tue 12, 2017 6:00 am 

Radioroslyn wrote:
Would this work on a 2v Predicta crt??

Terry

You would need to put 2 volts on the heater but you would still need 6 volts on the grid.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 12, 2017 8:27 am 

Living in Australia I'm not familiar with the Predicta except in pictures.

Are you saying there was a model with a CRT that had a 2 volt heater? How strange! 12 volts I could believe if it was part of a series heater string.
If so, you would need to substitute a 2 volt power supply for the heater circuit but leave the 6 volts DC in place for the G1 to cathode current test. Or maybe use a wirewound pot to set the heater voltage from the 6 volt supply.
Other than that, there's no reason it shouldn't work just as well.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 13, 2017 1:19 am 

Tnx guys. That's what I was thinking but wanted to check.
The set is needy and wanted check the crt before I dig in to it.

Terry

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 7:11 am 

The original 21" Predicta CRT was a 21EAP4 and its heater is 2.34 volts @ 0.6A.

To use my tester and have the correct heater voltage, insert a 6.6 ohm resistor (two 3.3 ohm in series will do nicely) in series with Pin 1.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 22, 2018 10:33 pm 

I've since tested about 20 CRTs with this method, 70 degree, 90 degree, 110 degree, sizes from 10" prewar Mazda to 23" late 60s.
I was able to run the tube up on a working chassis and observe its actual performance. The numbers you get from it seem to correlate quite well.

So, here are some actual results from my measurements:

4 volts = a very sharp, bright picture. (21" 90 degree Miniwatt rebuild from 1974)
2.5 volts = still a good picture, not quite as much headroom as a "4". This one got a lot better over an hour or so running (23" 110 degree original Thomas from 1967)
1.5 volts = OK in a room with subdued light. (This TV is now in daily use in a museum and seems to be improving with time. CRT is a 17" 90 degree US made RCA from 1957)
1.4 volts = Surprisingly bright for the reading but this is an 11" 110 degree unknown brand CRT from 1964. A bit of flare on highlights. I use this tube on the bench as a chassis test CRT.
1.2 volts = OK in a room with subdued light. (17" 70 degree mag focus Thomas rebuilt CRT from 1958)
0.5 volts = you can see a good picture with the room lights off. Whites start to invert when driven hard (Miniwatt AW53-88 same as 21CEP4 from 1959)

Since I first ran these tests, I did some more tests on the last one, which I would regard as effectively dead,
I ran the heater up to 9 volts for an hour and the reading came up to 2.2 volts. I left it off for another hour, re-tested a 6 volts and got just over 1 volt. The picture was much improved. Maybe a little more time and it would improve further.

I should explain, my "6 volt" power supply has a switch on it for 6, 7.5, 9 and 12 volts. Perfect to this application!

PostPosted: May Sun 27, 2018 4:25 am 

It occurs to me that it might be useful for old TV enthusiasts to add test results vs observed picture quality to this post so that potential users can get a better idea of what they will get from a CRT and how it compares with the numbers obtained when they test using this method. So we can have a bigger sample.

I have noticed that the results can be a bit non-linear (a 1 gives a picture nearly as good as a 3.5) and that ANY reading pretty much guarantees you will get SOME picture from that tube. I have a TV here at the moment where the 1956 vintage Thomas CRT only gives a 0.5 but the picture is still quite watchable.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 26 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page Previous  1, 2