Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 3:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Predicta Holiday
PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 9:21 pm 

I just struck a deal for a very nice Predicta Hoilday,.. Some time in the next week or so I'll be picking it up.. I don't know if it was in working condition when last unplugged, and I won't be powering it up.. I'm not really sure I want to attempt a resurrection.. Thoughts on these sets??

Thanks,..
Stan

Post subject: Re: Predicta Holiday
PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 11:13 pm 

The '58 Holiday is probably the most common Predicta, especially with the mahogany finish, but all Predicta's are classics. Those 21" CRT's did not have the best reputation, so it's common to find a bad one. The chassis' can be tough to work on for the novice, but experienced tech's that learn all the tricks find them fairly easy. I've had both the 21" and the later 17" (improved) models and although they're a must have set, I've always had audio issues with them.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 11:39 pm 

Make sure the CRT tests good and the flyback is not open before putting money into a resto.

IMO most of the collectors/techs that don't like them are folks that don't work on TVs with PCBs much and are out of their element on anything but point to point wiring. I've seen worse PCB based TV sets to work on and I've seen better too. Many folks feel the need to pull the boards and unsolder the original parts they are replacing...While I like that approach when facilitated by chassis design, on sets like the predicta where it is not easy, I simply clip/crush the original part above the board leaving enough of a lead stub from the original part to solder the new one to via J-hook or coiling the new lead to slip over it. I've serviced a predicta and other makes/models of PCB based sets this way and it works.

One thing to consider is that the couplates (AKA networks, AKA K-components) tend to go bad. Bob Anderson's youtube videos show how to fabricate replacements for them using modern discrete parts.

They are good, fun, watchable sets, and once you've done ~150 sets made between 1946 and 1975 like I have you'll find they are far from the worst project you could pick up.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 6:39 am 

What is the situation re 21" CRTs for Predictas?
I have a good Philips 21CEP4 equivalent in a parts set - is that the tube they use?
I'd love to get my hands on one of these with a bad CRT.
Swap for Aussie Pye Pedigree, Astor SL or similar oz iconic TV.
I also have a 1956 Ekco TX275 in original working order....

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 12:32 pm 

I've been doing some reading so I realize this is not a starter set.. I would love to have a working example,.. But I would much rather have it as a static display (in original condition) than to hack it up and then decide that its above my pay grade.. Small/tight spaces don't scare me too much,.. although, if a major component is bad, then you know.. Much figuring and considering to be done..
If there were someone close to me that could easily do the hard stuff,.. :D

Attachments:
Philpre.JPG
Philpre.JPG [ 112.25 KiB | Viewed 297 times ]
Philpred.JPG
Philpred.JPG [ 93.38 KiB | Viewed 297 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 2:53 pm 

Stan the Man wrote:
I've been doing some reading so I realize this is not a starter set.. I would love to have a working example,.. But I would much rather have it as a static display (in original condition) than to hack it up and then decide that its above my pay grade.. Small/tight spaces don't scare me too much,.. although, if a major component is bad, then you know.. Much figuring and considering to be done..
If there were someone close to me that could easily do the hard stuff,.. :D

If nothing else, it is a nice looking set and if you cleaned it up, it would display nicely for now. Maybe down the road, you will itch to get it going.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 3:08 pm 

If you know enough to be worried about restoring it, you know more than I did when I started mine... :lol:

Seriously, they aren't that bad. I did take the PCB off on mine, it had some bad tube sockets so I had to. It was my first and so far only TV restoration. I was just watching Honey West on it last night. Go ahead and try to restore it, at worst you can end up with a non working set and you have that already! I would test the flyback and CRT if possible, although I didn't. My CRT was just barely usable but I found a NOS non direct replacement sub, had to do a little wiring change and now have a new CRT in there and it looks great. Just leave the IF alone and you should be fine. I did end up needing a parts chassis due to an audio alignment coil having a stuck and broken slug but it was easy and cheap enough to find. Good luck!

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 1:27 pm 

I'm with you Stan. My Predicta Holiday is a static display until I get the urge to restore it.
One thing I want to do in the meantime is to clean the film off the inside of the
plastic cover on the face of the CRT.

Attachments:
Front-2.resized.jpg
Front-2.resized.jpg [ 86.99 KiB | Viewed 228 times ]