Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 19, 2017 11:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: Got Collections? New Finds? Let's See 'em.....
PostPosted: May Tue 23, 2017 9:26 pm 

Sweet lookin' Bulova!

PostPosted: Aug Mon 28, 2017 12:40 am 

Warning--New member here! I started collecting transistor radios about two months ago and so far have a total of about 21 sets, 7 of which are more modern sets. Ive been looking for, and sometimes finding, sets from the 50's and 60's. Here's a shot of a few of my first finds.

Attachments:
IMG_1054.JPG
IMG_1054.JPG [ 206.43 KiB | Viewed 314 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Mon 28, 2017 4:28 am 

Welcome, and it appears that you have sets in VG condition! Are you going to try to electrically restore them, or leave them in original factory condition?

PostPosted: Aug Mon 28, 2017 5:02 am 

Well, that's a really good question! Most of them are working, but the ones that don't appear to be repairable. At this point, I am just brushing up on my electronic repair skills using some junked boards from the 1980s. I can say tell you that this forum has really helped quite a bit in that regard already! Apart from that, I polish and restore the cabinets as best I can and so far they've been looking pretty good! I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions for the members of this forum in the future!

PostPosted: Aug Mon 28, 2017 6:08 am 

This board is an absolute jewel for information, as you seem to have discovered.

AFA the non-working sets, I've found that over 90% of the time, replacing the (usually 4) Electrolytics will get them to sing again. Occasionally, the earphone jack contacts aren't touching, which is something to check, if after replacing the caps there is still no audio.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 29, 2017 1:39 am 

One more to add… I just finished the first round of cleaning this guy up. Have a little more to do yet, but so far it's looking pretty good. The set isn't working right now however, so it looks like I'll have a little more work to do inside. Fortunately there is another discussion on this board that deals with the exact same radio and hopefully I can glean some tips from that. More to come…

Attachments:
IMG_1057.jpg
IMG_1057.jpg [ 119.04 KiB | Viewed 282 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Tue 29, 2017 2:22 am 

Welcome Larrold---good looking sets & sounds like you have already started a decent collection !

Don't hesitate to ask anyone here about their radios or projects---most are more than glad to help...

Good luck with the Royal 250---fairly easy set to work with. You might want to start a thread to move forward with your repair. We'll be glad to offer input...

John

PostPosted: Aug Tue 29, 2017 3:21 am 

Thanks John! I plan on taking full advantage of the experts advice here! As I said, I am just a beginner at this. I've had some experience assembling electronic kits, and doing minor repairs to electronic equipment. Radios are somewhat new to me, and I am learning a lot just reading the posts on this board, but not quite ready to dive into the repair work just yet, plus I may need to acquire some new test equipment as well. I guess that I want to make sure I'm doing it right. I will certainly start another thread when I begin this project and others.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 13, 2017 2:38 pm 

Welcome to the forum Larrold. I can see you do really well at polishing these old gems and they look awesome.
Really top notch!

Mitch

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 309 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16