Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 16, 2018 3:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: RCA am Solid State Radio Model RZG 120, 111Y, 111T, 9Vol
PostPosted: Dec Mon 11, 2017 4:47 pm 

fifties,

Here's wishing you and family Happy Holidays ahead ! :D

ToddB76

PostPosted: Dec Mon 11, 2017 9:52 pm 

Thx Todd, and the same to you, old buddy! :wink:

PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 6:42 pm 

Dear Richard,
I received the two ceramic alignment screwdrivers ordered, so ready to make adjustments to my RCA am radio, following the advice you gave in your post #8, dated 12-03-2017, but need your clarifications on a few things before getting started.

I assume radio components should be adjusted in proper sequence if adjusting components in one section of a circuit might have a skewing effect on the adjustment of components in another section of the circuit.

#1)..The above thought leads me to ask if I should begin by first adjusting the black, white and yellow IF cores or should I begin by first adjusting the oscillator and antenna trimmers on the back side of the tuner. Perhaps it doesn't matter which adjustments I begin with (?).

#2..If you say to begin by adjusting the IF cores, then should I first tune the set to a station near 1400 kilocycles before adjusting these cores ? I'm probably over-thinking this and that's my usual behavior, but my motto is "better safe than sorry; there's no such thing as a dumb question.". :wink:

Thanks again for your help !
ToddB76

PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 8:48 pm 

The only "dumb" question is the one that isn't asked. :wink:

SOP for radio alignment dictates starting with the IF transformers. Please refer to my previous post for the mechanics. It doesn't matter what frequency the station is at for this adjustment. 1400 Kc is just for the antenna trimmer adjustment.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 1:27 pm 

fifties,

Thanks for your last reply !

As you know, I have the anti-static screwdrivers now, but do I need any other protection against ESD, like Nitrile gloves and/or wrist band grounding ?

Also, knowing of my interest in electronics, my brother bought me two Velleman K7102 Metal Detector kits, thinking it would be fun for me to put these together. And since another of my hobbies involves metal detecting in public parks, etc. to find lost coins and jewelry and I have already had experience building a pin-pointer by modifying a Gardner Bender GPD-902 "In Wall Pipe & Wall Detector", I've decided to mod the Velleman kits into pin-pointers, one for my brother and the other for myself. I just hope the Velleman circuit design proves to operate better as a pin-pointer than the GB-GPD-902 did.

Anyway, the Velleman kits will require soldering quite a number of components to the boards. So I'm thinking about buying one of those Aven 17010 Adjustable Circuit Board Holders shown in the attached picture below, sold on Amazon. Also, a de-soldering sucker pump, both of which should make the work go a little easier for my trembly Parkinson's hands and help me not to make a mess of the solder work. I do have a roll of de-soldering braid, but a sucker pump would probably work easier for me. Do you think that equipment would be a good investment ?

Again, thanks for your help.

ToddB76

Attachments:
Aven 17010 Adjustable Circuit Board holder.jpg
Aven 17010 Adjustable Circuit Board holder.jpg [ 7.71 KiB | Viewed 631 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 9:02 pm 

ToddB76 wrote:

As you know, I have the anti-static screwdrivers now, but do I need any other protection against ESD, like Nitrile gloves and/or wrist band grounding ?

LOL, I doubt that equipment was even around when this set was produced. Short answer would be no. I've never used any of it, in the scores of sets that I've worked on.
ToddB76 wrote:
Do you think that equipment would be a good investment ?

I imagine that with Parkinson's, the PCB holder could be worthwhile, and I swear by my Edsyn Soldapult solder sucker;

http://www.edsyn.com/product/DS017.html

BTW, a wood clothespin is a great third hand for holding wire or component leads to be tinned,connected together, or to a PCB solder landing.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 12:56 am 

A scratchy-sounding tuning capacitor is more likely dust or dirt between the poly wafers and plates inside the cap. That's almost impossible to cure other than replacement with a matching part.

It can also be caused by a loose mounting screw or solder joint. You could try wiggling the tuner without changing the station setting to check. If the tuning cap is secure and only turning the station knob makes the noise, then it's internal junk or grit.

I don't think a recap or alignment would help in this case. It might not hurt and the radio would perform better in the spots where you can presently tune it clearly, but the scratchy sound might remain till that is dealt with. Perhaps just rotating the knob end-to-end several times looking for an improvement? I made the mistake of trying contact spray into it followed by compressed air, and that was the end of that tuning cap! It messed up the little separator wafers something fierce into a wad of poly.

-Ed

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 6:49 pm 

fifties wrote:
ToddB76 wrote:

LOL, I doubt that equipment was even around when this set was produced. Short answer would be no. I've never used any of it, in the scores of sets that I've worked on.
ToddB76 wrote:
Do you think that equipment would be a good investment ?

I imagine that with Parkinson's, the PCB holder could be worthwhile, and I swear by my Edsyn Soldapult solder sucker;

http://www.edsyn.com/product/DS017.html

BTW, a wood clothespin is a great third hand for holding wire or component leads to be tinned,connected together, or to a PCB solder landing.

fifties,
Thanks ! :) I think I'll start by using my little "Helping Magnifier" (See attached picture) and see if I can get by with that. So I'll just order the Edsyn Soldapult solder sucker, in case I mess-up a solder joint on one of the Velleman boards and need to re-do; in my case that's a good possibility. :roll:

ToddB76

Attachments:
Helping magnifier, aka Helping Hands Magnifier.jpg
Helping magnifier, aka Helping Hands Magnifier.jpg [ 14.67 KiB | Viewed 581 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 7:19 pm 

Ed in SoDak wrote:
A scratchy-sounding tuning capacitor is more likely dust or dirt between the poly wafers and plates inside the cap. That's almost impossible to cure other than replacement with a matching part.

It can also be caused by a loose mounting screw or solder joint. You could try wiggling the tuner without changing the station setting to check. If the tuning cap is secure and only turning the station knob makes the noise, then it's internal junk or grit.

I don't think a recap or alignment would help in this case. It might not hurt and the radio would perform better in the spots where you can presently tune it clearly, but the scratchy sound might remain till that is dealt with. Perhaps just rotating the knob end-to-end several times looking for an improvement? I made the mistake of trying contact spray into it followed by compressed air, and that was the end of that tuning cap! It messed up the little separator wafers something fierce into a wad of poly. -Ed

Hi Ed !
Thanks for adding your help. :)

My RCA radio circuit board has a tuner module embossed SANESU ELECTRONICS, JAPAN and has two adjustment screws, i.e. CA-1 and CA-2, both slotted for a blade type screwdriver. I checked with Tayda Electronics on the Internet, but they don't inventory that component. So I'll try your suggestions on the existing tuner and see what happens. Also, I'll be sure NOT to use any spray. :wink:

Happy Times with your projects !

ToddB76

PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 9:41 pm 

fifties,

Today was sunny and bright here in Georgetown, Ohio, so decided to adjust the IF (white, black and yellow cores) and RF (two silver screws) on my subject radio. I used the two little ceramic-tipped screwdrivers bought through Amazon, total cost $2.78 and Free Shg. from China (One $0.99 and the other $1.79).

Bottom line, the optimum setting for the three cores and two silver screws ended up being right back where they were in the first place (the original positions). :wink:

Following your instructions making the adjustments I found the RF oscillator trimmer on the first screw tried !

I did have to keep the volume down on some of the stations to eliminate audio static, but was able to receive five major stations and a few in between. So since I wasn't able to replace the Caps, I'm satisfied that my little solid state Am radio is giving me the best it can do.

This was a fun exercise for me Richard and I appreciate all the help you gave. :)

Your friend,
ToddB76

PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 9:54 pm 

Glad to have helped, Todd...Enjoy the radio!

And to everyone else...SEE, I do have ONE friend here! :wink:

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 31 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page Previous  1, 2