Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Fri 19, 2018 10:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Latest project: 1958/59 Arvin 3588 "Cordless"
PostPosted: Feb Thu 27, 2014 2:40 am 

Hello All,

Was just starting to feel good about not buying a radio for awhile (almost an entire month), as well as getting a few "shelf-warmers" back into shape---then was tempted today by this Arvin Cordless set from 1958/59... Had never seen one before and it kinda "got me" with the "supersized" brass "Arvin" & "Twin-Speaker" emblems---and it was made here in Indiana. Also thought it would be a good radio for my old 50's kitchen... Oh boy... Just couldn't pass it by for $15 "Buy-It-Now"---if it had been just five dollars more, I wouldn't have "given in" !

Just looked at schematic in Beitmans and saw that it was a simple 6 transistor circuit---wonder what kind of a performer it'll be ? Has anyone here had one ?

Will need some TLC---am hoping that the grillecloth will clean up well...

John

Here is an Ebay pic:

Attachments:
ARF Arvin 3588 Cordless Ebay.jpg
ARF Arvin 3588 Cordless Ebay.jpg [ 230.18 KiB | Viewed 2714 times ]

Last edited by xrhonda91 on Feb Fri 28, 2014 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Incoming project: 1958/59 Arvin 3588 "Cordless"
PostPosted: Feb Thu 27, 2014 10:20 am 

Let's not have any more of this, "not buying a radio for an entire month" talk... :wink:

I only have a couple of Arvin "pocket" Transistor sets, and one mid-size model, but they are damn good performers that can hold their own against the Japanese imports.

I would imagine that you won't be disappointed with that set. Bet it has a lengthy Ferrite bar for it's antenna coil.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 27, 2014 3:54 pm 

Well John, You made me smile... I once went three weeks without purchasing something transistorized.

Btw, I too have a 1950's kitchen, wouldn't change it for the world.

Greg.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 28, 2014 3:55 am 

Thanks Richard & Greg...

It arrived today---as dirty or dirtier than it appeared in pics ! Am glad it only had to travel about 40 miles as it was packed tight in a box not much bigger than itself with little padding...

Did some preliminary cleaning with Isopropyl alcohol on the case and the paint, grease, and adhesive residue came off well---and the plastic actually had some shine beneath the crud ! Also, the grille cloth is actually fairly-sturdy woven nylon which hopefully will make cleaning it easier/safer...

This is a heavy (even without the 6 "D" cells installed) and well-built radio pretty much the same size as the "kitchen-counter" tube sets of that time. The plastic battery tray even has a slide-on aluminum cover as well as heavy brass battery contacts---and is connected to radio with same snaps as those large 9V batteries of days gone by...

Couldn't figure out how to turn it on as the pots had no "switch action" when rotated---then thought about the TV's of the era with pull-on/push-off controls and found that to be the power "solution"... Then test-clipped 9V battery to set and got nothing but the "empty" pop in the speakers when switch "pulled" on---time to change "dem capz" !

Stay tuned !
John

Post subject: Re: Latest project: 1958/59 Arvin 3588 "Cordless"
PostPosted: Mar Sat 01, 2014 1:14 am 

I saw that one for sale, but I had to pass it by because I already have several Arvin built table top sets, including a Silvertone 9014. Your Arvin 3588 likely has the same chassis as that Silvertone set (or at least a similar one). I can say that after re-caping the set sounds pretty good on local stations, but mine would likely benefit from an alignment. I have to agree with Fifties, Arvin's late 50's/early 60's pocket sets are great performers for their size.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 01, 2014 5:19 am 

Thanks for info, Matt---looking forward to hearing back if chassis are indeed the same...

Got quite a bit done this evening...

Opened 'er up and found the main reason for non-op---someone at some point had evidently used a very long (1-1/2" or so) screw to attach battery compartment cover and it had destroyed the 470 ohm 2nd IF amp transistor emitter resistor, "mangled" transistor leads (which I was fortunately able to straighten without "breakage"), damaged top of 9 pF ceramic disk cap, and nearly penetrated surface of the dual .02 uF cap !

Carefully inspected top of 9 pF cap, replaced resistor, removed transistor to straighten leads and reinstalled, replaced electrolytics, and connected battery & speakers with clip-leads to test. Radio worked, sounded & performed very good---pulled in same stations as Sony TR-84 I was listening to on bench with a bit less sensitivity, of course. Those dual 4" speakers put out the audio ! Looking forward to hearing daytime performance...

The volume knob was somewhat "crooked" and found that the chassis was bent where control attached---so will need to straighten that also...

Removed speakers from front panel & was able to remove white paint splatters with careful use of toothbrush & Isopropyl alcohol. The other stains appear to be water-soluble, so will thoroughly clean with dish-soap solution tomorrow.

Tried a lamp on edge-lit frequency display window and it looked fantastic illuminated with the "molded-in" numbers glowing ! Wonder if they considered putting a light in this radio or if the same part was used in an AC operated tube set ??? Am thinking of adding a light with a hidden pushbutton or switch inside handle area...

A lot of cleaning/polishing to do tomorrow as well as reassembly... Am also considering adding "inverse feedback" for audio since I think it'll sound even better and it would be a very simple, removable mod.

Here are a few "before" pics---the last one shows the diffuser for dial edgelighting...

Attachments:
ARF ARV EDGLT BEF.jpg
ARF ARV EDGLT BEF.jpg [ 224.37 KiB | Viewed 2618 times ]
ARF ARV CHS BOT BEF.jpg
ARF ARV CHS BOT BEF.jpg [ 200.55 KiB | Viewed 2618 times ]
ARF ARV CHS TOP BEF.jpg
ARF ARV CHS TOP BEF.jpg [ 155.15 KiB | Viewed 2618 times ]
ARF ARV SCREW DAMAGE.jpg
ARF ARV SCREW DAMAGE.jpg [ 152.26 KiB | Viewed 2618 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Sat 01, 2014 6:00 am 

xrhonda91 wrote:
Opened 'er up and found the main reason for non-op---someone at some point had evidently used a very long (1-1/2" or so) screw to attach battery compartment cover and it had destroyed the 470 ohm 2nd IF amp transistor emitter resistor, "mangled" transistor leads (which I was fortunately able to straighten without "breakage"), damaged top of 9 pF ceramic disk cap, and nearly penetrated surface of the dual .02 uF cap !

Ain't it amazing how much damage someone can do with the littlest amount of effort?
xrhonda91 wrote:
Carefully inspected top of 9 pF cap, replaced resistor, removed transistor to straighten leads and reinstalled, replaced electrolytics, and connected battery & speakers with clip-leads to test. Radio worked, sounded & performed very good---pulled in same stations as Sony TR-84 I was listening to on bench with a bit less sensitivity, of course.

I knew this set would have a lengthy ferrite bar. Have you done IF/RF alignments on it yet?

PostPosted: Mar Sun 02, 2014 3:05 am 

Got it "basically" done today---an all day effort which I wasn't expecting !

The grille "cloth" cleaned up very well as did the cabinet. It was really dirty from kitchen use---and smelled like a combination of fried bacon, coffee, and cigarette smoke while scrubbing ! Even though the plastic had some shine under the "crud", it also had some very fine scratches from probably being "wiped-off" on occasion---so went over sides, top, and front with three "rounds" of Novus-2 and it looked MUCH better.

Straightened the bend in chassis where volume control mounts and "dosed" the tone control with some Faderlube since it was the only control with "issues" (which it still has to a degree). Installed the 4" speakers on front panel before taking its pic and didn't want to take a chance on breaking the lower retaining "tangs" trying to remove them again (sorry). Finished taking rest of pics & reassembled...

Noticed that a couple of the dial-cord pulleys were missing and cord was riding on the studs---didn't realize until radio back together that this affected position of dial pointer somewhat, but didn't want to separate chassis again today.

Installed batteries and turned it on---Arghh ! The audio had noticeable hiss, crackling, low level intermittent "sizzle" and other annoying "artifacts" at minimum setting which I didn't notice last night with another radio playing and all the DX noise. Discovered that the 2N35 audio driver transistor was bad and was concerned about finding an NPN germanium in parts stash. After looking through many PNP's, found four NOS transistors I've had for over forty years with same body style but part number that I couldn't find on Google. Just for curiousity, checked polarity with ohmmeter and found that they were indeed NPN's, so took the best looking one and installed it---worked perfectly ! Absolutely no noticeable noise at minumum volume---just a trace of what was "tuned-in" ! And sound much better, also !

Richard---two of the IFT's cores are seized and couldn't budge 'em. The one that I could was right on ! Even the antenna trimmer was nearly perfect...

After completion, found that this radio is another outstanding performer sensitivity/selectivity-wise for a 6-transistor set---sure better than what I expected ! Was receiving all the typical distant daytime stations clearly that my tuned RF amp equipped sets do and with good audio level. An impressive set---and looks neat too ! Am listening to Zoomer 740 right now and it's doing great---got one of the Sony TR-84's next to it and it's pretty well keeping up with it ! And I sure like that easy to operate pull-on/push-off switch---can "kill" what I don't want to hear at a "touch" and simply pull on again with volume at same level...

Below are several pics, including the three remaining NOS transistors I found (it was me who trimmed the leads on two of 'em many years ago) along with the original, defective 2N35 at left... And the spots you see on grille cloth don't show up in normal lighting---the flash reveals the stained glue on steel plate it's attached to.

Attachments:
ARF2 2N35 REPLCMNTS.jpg
ARF2 2N35 REPLCMNTS.jpg [ 215.3 KiB | Viewed 2597 times ]
ARF2 ARV CMP BK.jpg
ARF2 ARV CMP BK.jpg [ 101.18 KiB | Viewed 2597 times ]
ARF2 ARV CMP TOP.jpg
ARF2 ARV CMP TOP.jpg [ 76.12 KiB | Viewed 2597 times ]
ARF2 ARV CMP FRT1.jpg
ARF2 ARV CMP FRT1.jpg [ 193.63 KiB | Viewed 2597 times ]
ARF2 ARV CMP FRT RT.jpg
ARF2 ARV CMP FRT RT.jpg [ 247.31 KiB | Viewed 2597 times ]
ARF2 ARV CMP FRT LFT.jpg
ARF2 ARV CMP FRT LFT.jpg [ 228.21 KiB | Viewed 2597 times ]
ARF2 ARV COSM FLSH.jpg
ARF2 ARV COSM FLSH.jpg [ 207.81 KiB | Viewed 2597 times ]
ARF2 ARV COSM INS.jpg
ARF2 ARV COSM INS.jpg [ 176.65 KiB | Viewed 2597 times ]
ARF2 ARV PRTS OUT.jpg
ARF2 ARV PRTS OUT.jpg [ 178.5 KiB | Viewed 2597 times ]
ARF2 ARV PRTS IN.jpg
ARF2 ARV PRTS IN.jpg [ 178.26 KiB | Viewed 2597 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Sun 02, 2014 6:46 am 

Nice work, John!

(And it kept you off the streets, today!). :wink:

PostPosted: Mar Sun 02, 2014 10:03 am 

As usual, nice job on the Arvin. I believe one of the Chrysler products in 59 had an advertisement tag line, "Suddenly it's 1960", to describe their new cars' styling. I always liked that line and think it describes your Arvin quite well.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 02, 2014 12:14 pm 

Nice work, John!

Colin

PostPosted: Mar Sun 02, 2014 5:19 pm 

Wow, nice work John, it looks like it is in mint condition now. I looked through the pictures that I took while working on my Silvertone 9014, and it seems that the chassis is basically the same as the one in your set, although some components are of different brands (for example, my set has a generic glass diode instead of a red Raytheon one) and the antenna is mounted differently. My set also has a diffuser for a dial light, but again there is not one actually fitted (in the case of my set, that is likely because of the tube radio model that shares the same case style), although I was tempted to wire a white LED into the power switch. I have noticed that Sylvania's early transistors are fairly unreliable and it is not uncommon to see generic replacements fitted.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 03, 2014 3:10 am 

Thanks very much, Guys---am sure glad I got it now !

Rob---I've seen those old Chrysler Corp. ads and agree. Think I might have an old Saturday Evening Post with one of them in it. From old ads & movies, seemed like a lot of "futuristic" looking items started showing up in the last couple years of the 50's.

Matt---thanks for looking... I also like the styling of that Silvertone and was watching one on Ebay awhile back, but it had too much cosmetic damage. Just looked at RadioMuseum and saw that the chassis is very similar. Think I am going to try a white LED in mine since we have a junk ring-light at work I can salvage a couple from---dial just looked fantastic when I simply held a small bulb to diffuser connected with test leads. And possibly may add a little "inverse feedback" to audio sometime in the future---amazing what one resistor can do for tone quality... These mods. could be easily removed without a trace at any time to return originality.

Guess I was a bit over-enthusiastic as usual yesterday about it's sensitivity---it & the selectivity are outstanding for a non RF-amp stage equipped set, but was listening to 40 mile distant, low-power small-town station today playing oldies and there was a bit of "background noise" with this set. When I tuned it in with one of the very best tuned RF amp stage equipped sets in collection, a Zenith Royal 705, it came in crystal clear like a local...

John

PostPosted: Mar Tue 04, 2014 4:08 am 

John,

My Silvertone 9014 would probably fall in the "too much cosmetic damage" category for you as well. The brown plastic the case is made of is very brittle and prone to cracking/chipping (there are little "flea bites" all over it), although thankfully the damage is mostly contained to the back and bottom of the set. Let me know know if you end up trying that mod, I would be interested to see how it works out (and I might just have to try it for myself).

Matt

PostPosted: Mar Mon 10, 2014 2:03 am 

Hello Matt,

Spent a couple hours today experimenting with that "inverse feedback" mod. and learned a bit in the process ! Depending on which side of the audio output to speakers that you ground and which you connect to feedback resistor, you either accentuate or diminish bass response. The bass response of this radio was already more than adequate, so configured to reduce it somewhat as it had a "cleaner" sound. "Played" with resistor values to find what sounded good outside of cabinet, but found that it's now just a bit too "flat" after reassembly---but it is definitely "cleaner" and you can raise volume much higher without any distortion... Think this one's going to take more time than I want to spend right now to get it "dialed-in"... Still would like to try to illuminate dial with a white LED when I eventually get one...

If you'd like to experiment with yours, just PM and I'll provide specifics..

John

PostPosted: Oct Mon 27, 2014 3:00 am 

Just noticed the Arvin 2585 tube set on one of ARF's advertisers (Retro Radio Farm) site and was amazed that it's nearly identical style-wise to this one ! And there is also a Silvertone tube set with same cosmetics as Matt's 9014... Sure caught my eye !

John

PostPosted: Oct Tue 28, 2014 12:53 am 

Very nice, John!
I like the dual speakers, are they 4 or 8 ohm? series connected or parallel?
I really like the style of that radio, I haven't really seen anything "Arvin" in my neck of the woods, not yet anyway.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 28, 2014 3:37 am 

Thanks Rocco !

It's been over seven months since this project and had to look at schematic for speaker impedance---6.8 ohms each and they are wired in parallel. Arvin was located about an hour south of here in Columbus, Indiana---so have seen a lot of their products through the years.

John

PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 1:32 am 

Hello All,

Since this same cabinet was used for a tube version with lighted dial, had mentioned earlier (over 3 years ago) about possibility of adding a dial-light to this set. After a couple other projects recently using warm-white LED's, decided to try them with this radio. At first, tried just two mounted at angles on a tiny piece of scrap Vectorboard---but center of dial wasn't as bright as ends, so went with three. The LED "cluster" is self supporting, somewhat adjustable for best illumination, and easily removed to return radio to original state. Works great as shown in pic below...

Also, had thought earlier that the dial string routing wasn't quite right, so while radio was apart for LED mod, downloaded the SAMS page containing the info and discovered that it was incorrectly riding on a pulley peg and corrected. The dial pointer was also nearly a 1/4" off in position, so removed one of tensioning springs to loosen cord and slid carrier to where it belonged.

Radio is an excellent performer (even better after getting another IFT slightly "tweaked") and now really looks great with the lighted dial !

John

Attachments:
ARF 3588 LED CLUSTER BK.jpg
ARF 3588 LED CLUSTER BK.jpg [ 197.75 KiB | Viewed 90 times ]
ARF 3588 LED CLUSTER TOP.jpg
ARF 3588 LED CLUSTER TOP.jpg [ 242.46 KiB | Viewed 90 times ]
ARF 3588 LITED DIAL.jpg
ARF 3588 LITED DIAL.jpg [ 189.16 KiB | Viewed 90 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 2:06 am 

The lighted dial look good.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 21 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page 1, 2  Next