Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 17, 2017 9:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The GE P-865 AM/FM is here---project underway...
PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2013 2:48 am 

Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere before, but I've had good success repairing worn out pot tracks using a very soft graphite pencil, something like a 3 or 5B. Just redraw the track and use plenty of pressure to make sure you get plenty of graphite on the track.

Not sure if it'll work on a completely worn out track, but it does work on one that has worn to the point of scratchy audio.

Can you not replace the resistance element?

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2013 4:05 pm 

DragonForce wrote:
Can you not replace the resistance element?

I believe John is still looking for a replacement element for his control.

Dave

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2013 10:51 pm 

DragonForce wrote:
Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere before, but I've had good success repairing worn out pot tracks using a very soft graphite pencil, something like a 3 or 5B. Just redraw the track and use plenty of pressure to make sure you get plenty of graphite on the track.

Not sure if it'll work on a completely worn out track, but it does work on one that has worn to the point of scratchy audio.

I've also done that, but found that it just seems to be a temporary fix. The pencil Graphite dissipates with use, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 18, 2013 2:52 am 

Thanks Dragonforce, but a large section of the trace is completely gone. As Dave mentioned, I'm still searching for a "donor" with the correct element with loudness tap. The pot is completely disassembled awaiting "transplant"...

John

PostPosted: Feb Mon 18, 2013 3:39 am 

xrhonda91 wrote:
Thanks Dragonforce, but a large section of the trace is completely gone. As Dave mentioned, I'm still searching for a "donor" with the correct element with loudness tap. The pot is completely disassembled awaiting "transplant"...

John

You can make the tap yourself if that's the only holdup. A bit of wire and some silver epoxy will do it.

Brett

PostPosted: Feb Mon 18, 2013 4:41 pm 

I once read in a previous post to mix the lead/graphite with Krazy glue and apply that to the tracks.Gonna give it a try on my old Sony TR-712 and see how it works.Ill post my results soon.Makes sense the glue would retain the filings somewhat and make for a more lasting solution. Ill use the glue sparingly ...Cheers

PostPosted: Feb Mon 18, 2013 10:54 pm 

troz wrote:
I once read in a previous post to mix the lead/graphite with Krazy glue and apply that to the tracks.Gonna give it a try on my old Sony TR-712 and see how it works.Ill post my results soon.Makes sense the glue would retain the filings somewhat and make for a more lasting solution. Ill use the glue sparingly ...Cheers

That would be operative, since too much might gloss over the Graphite. Obviously apply glue first, then Graphite over it.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 23, 2013 3:12 am 

Thanks for the ideas Guys, but because of fragile tabs on control housing , want to get the proper element as it'll probably handle just one "reassembly"...

A Guy in Georgia kindly sent me a 250K element with loudness tap, but center hole much larger & found by trying another 250K pot that volume adjustment just wasn't right---so guess I'll hold out a little longer... Want to keep this radio as close to original as possible...

John

PostPosted: Apr Thu 11, 2013 6:17 am 

Here are two pics of a 10K volume control for a GE P807/P808.
It was made about the same time as your P865, but has a much shorter shaft.

I'm thinking I should check my Sams for GE radios made +/- 3 years and see if there's a match.
Speaking of Sams, there's a member selling TSMs for $2 each and lives close by to you, John.
Hint::Hint http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtop ... 5&t=219985 :P

~ Mitch ~

PostPosted: Apr Fri 12, 2013 1:56 am 

Thanks Mitch for the info & pics, but the pot I'm seeking needs to be between 100K & 150k with a loudness tap ( will have a fourth lug off the side of control )... If you find such a pot made by CTS, the shaft length or style shouldn't matter as I plan to "transplant" the element---only the volume shaft diameter needs to be 3/16" where it enters control body. A pot with loudness tap won't be in a "typical" transistor set, but more likely in a "hi-fidelity" radio, phonograph. or amp...

Looked at the ad you linked & going by the Zip Code, he's probably 20 or so miles from me... Cost more in gas than postage to drive down there !

John

PostPosted: May Sun 05, 2013 10:29 pm 

Hello All,

Good news today !

A newer ARF member, BrendaAnnD, recently sent me a perfect volume/tone control from an early P-780 which seem to be more rugged & reliable than later versions... Just finished "transplant" with new elements & switch together with the P-865's shorter shaft/wiper assemblies after careful cleaning and liberal doses of Faderlube. Installed into radio and temporarily powered it up with a 9V alkaline battery---WOW !!! What incredible sound on FM ! Definitely sounds like a console like GE's old ad stated ! Was listening to an oldies station with no antenna connected & it did excellent ! AM not as loud & a little "muddy" even with tone set to treble, so need to investigate later... But really thankful to get this great radio goin' ! Thanks again, Brenda, for your kindness & help !

Here is pic with new ctl. installed---just need to find the correct black vinyl or leather so I can make new handle !

Attachments:
ARF GE P-865 with rebuilt vol-tone ctl.jpg
ARF GE P-865 with rebuilt vol-tone ctl.jpg [ 165.66 KiB | Viewed 2123 times ]

PostPosted: May Sun 05, 2013 11:02 pm 

Looks beautiful, John! What did you use to get the metal so clean with?

I think someone once posted about using a portion of a Leather belt as a replacement handle on a lunchbox type set.

Richard

PostPosted: May Sun 05, 2013 11:13 pm 

Might find something here:

http://www.brettunsvillage.com/trunks/h ... andles.htm

PostPosted: May Mon 06, 2013 4:07 am 

Thanks Fifties ! Had to reread the thread to refresh my memory---think I scrubbed it several times with 91 % Isopropyl alcohol & then possibly with Mother's chrome polish... It was definitely a lot of time-consuming, tedious work ! Also, remember the grille is new 316 stainless steel screen.

Thanks, Jack, for the link---a lot of neat handles there... If the radio wasn't so scarce, I'd consider one of those molded plastic handles---but going to try to keep it as close to original as possible... The handle will have to be made over the existing "rings" so it will fit the end brackets... Saved the old material for a pattern and plan to pre-punch holes for the thread to make it easier to sew by hand & to match the original appearance... The new material whether vinyl or leather will have to be of a specific thickness & flexibility to "work" and look right... Imagine this will also be a tedious project...

John

PostPosted: May Mon 06, 2013 6:31 pm 

Quite a long adventure...almost a year. Glad to see you were able to find the control, John. Hope you'll find the problem with the audio for the AM section. Might be something as simple as an alignment? Good luck.

PostPosted: May Tue 07, 2013 12:52 am 

Hey xr John, do you know if the chrome bezel assembly on the P-780 is identical to the P-865 other than the cutout for the AFC switch? Are all the mounting bosses the same on both?

I just got a $5.50 P-865 that needs a lot of help!

PostPosted: May Tue 07, 2013 12:58 am 

Thanks much John !

It has been an adventure ( and still is I guess until complete ! )... Poor thing was gathering dust !

The reception seems fine on AM, just the audio level is much lower. Will have to get the audio tracer on it...
Just hope it's not a bandswitch contact !

Stopped by an upholstery shop today and the guy gave me a nice strip of black vinyl, but when I got it home it doesn't look black enough or as shiny as original and stands out against case---so the search continues...
Good quality stuff and he cut it off new from a roll, so feel bad it can't be used on this... But am thinking it would look great on other projects with a subtle "pebbled" surface...

Hey Jack---that's great !!! Was that the one on Ebay from Georgia or one of the Carolina's with the badly wrinkled chrome ?

I believe I have detailed pics of both castings from this & P-780 projects & would be glad to send them to you for examination---or you could search for my last P-780 project thread in this forum and "extract" the pics for side-by-side viewing with ones here from the P-865.
The ones I have on computer are higher resolution if that would help. Knew they
appeared to be the same casting, but never paid much attention to the boss positions.
Let me know what you want to do.

John

PostPosted: May Tue 07, 2013 1:26 am 

Hey Jack---our posts "crossed" a few minutes ago, so not sure if you noticed edited reply... Just sent you a PM concerning the castings issue...

John

PostPosted: May Tue 07, 2013 1:56 am 

Replied to your PM. It will be interesting to see if they match up.

PostPosted: May Wed 08, 2013 5:15 am 

Boy, that's gotta make you feel good...and so fortunate that you finally sourced out another pot. Admit it though, did you really expect the FM on a relative of the P-780 to sound anything but spectacular, John? :wink: I really like the screen replacement and how it echoes the look of a Royal 1000. Way to go, John!

I'd be happy to send you some rich black leather to fashion a handle strap, but I know how particular you are, and the automotive leather I have is too thick to duplicate it exactly. What you need is closer to the thickness used in making wallets. Here's hoping this search doesn't delay completion much longer.

BTW....nice catch on the new Magnavox.

Bruce Webster

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 105 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next