Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 11, 2017 10:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The GE P-865 AM/FM is here---project underway...
PostPosted: May Thu 09, 2013 3:43 am 

Thanks much Bruce---good to hear from you...

Yes, am still very grateful for Brenda's kindness to send that control---was really getting discouraged up to that point !

It had been so long that I had forgotten how good it initially sounded---even with the badly damaged volume control element... It's just excellent now. Be glad to get the AM up to par as well as handle made & installed...

A bit of research & careful measurement went into finding that grille screen---it is the same mesh & wire gauge as the original chrome plated screen which was badly corroded in areas. Side by side they look identical, except the stainless luster is slightly different from the chrome. And after Brett's comment, checked my Royal 1000-D and it uses the same type screen !

You know, Bruce, you've got a good eye for detail also... Take a close look at your P-875 handle---it is physically shorter, but uses the exact same vinyl as the P-865's. If you can find vinyl or leather that matches it, please let me know... Don't think the upholstery shops are going to want to give up much time for comparison for such a small piece or scrap of material...

Have you taken a look at the GE P-871 thread ? Thought you'd like that radio, also...

John

PostPosted: May Fri 10, 2013 3:45 am 

xrhonda91 wrote:

You know, Bruce, you've got a good eye for detail also... Take a close look at your P-875 handle---it is physically shorter, but uses the exact same vinyl as the P-865's. If you can find vinyl or leather that matches it, please let me know... Don't think the upholstery shops are going to want to give up much time for comparison for such a small piece or scrap of material...

Have you taken a look at the GE P-871 thread ? Thought you'd like that radio, also...

John

Hey John! Remind me again that I have a lost P-875 somewhere in this house, and that I initially bought it to use the handle as a replacement on my P-780. Got it home and realized that one would not fit the other. :lol:

Seriously though, I'm always scouting for various upholstery materials at whatever venue I attend. Stuff like grill cloth, stag, snake skin vinyls and top grain hides...anything that could be used for radio related projects. Thin materials, such as the type used to cover wooden portables is tough to source but every so often it turns up. Same with vinyls of sufficient thinness. If and when I find something, I'll surely let you know.

BTW...I wasn't aware a screen mesh was an original item on the P-865. i assumed it was the same material used on the P-780.

Bruce Webster

PostPosted: Dec Thu 10, 2015 3:30 am 

This is another radio I'd sure like to complete---still need to finish handle and get AM "up-to-snuff" !

Was searching for this thread to pass link on to Brownie45 and noticed Bruce's comment about the "mesh" grille fabric. Just viewed a You-Tube video the other day which showed a later version which had what looked like a perforated aluminum screen behind grill---had never noticed this before ! Imagine it was a lot less expensive than the chromed woven-wire...

John

PostPosted: Jan Mon 04, 2016 3:00 am 

Moved this one post to another thread...

PostPosted: Feb Sun 07, 2016 11:34 pm 

Hello All,

Still no new projects here, so decided to try a little "tweakin" today on the AM band which didn't seem to perform as it should. Had been waiting until I could find proper vinyl and make a handle before doing any more with this set, but had the time & desire so went ahead...

Found that the oscillator trimmer was 1st at left side of tuning cap, so adjusted those for the next two AM gangs on weak signal at high end of band. Wow & double wow as it now "boomed" in after significant adjustment of each ! Performance on AM band now seems as good as it should and the sound is excellent---actually seems to sound better than the P-780 ! Didn't touch the AM IF adjustments yet, but will probably do so before completion...

Also listened to FM for awhile and think it sounds better on this set than the Zenith Royal 2000, but need to do a side-by-side when this one is done...

And out of curiousity since I did this with a single, used 9V battery, I took a DC measurement and found it was now only putting out 6.7 Volts ! Had used same battery on a few larger sets last year to check out and am surprised they did that well at reduced supply voltage... Wonder how it will sound with a full 9V ???

Hope to get that handle done soon !

John

PostPosted: Dec Sun 11, 2016 5:07 am 

Hello All,

After years of wavering back & forth over whether to make a new handle for this radio or re-dye black a good used ginger-colored leather one from a P-780 that Brenda Ann D. sent me, finally made a decision today ! Had already ordered & received the Colorbond black LVP finish, but after seeing the broken handle on one of my P-780H's, decided to attempt to make a new one for this set---whew ! And yes, this type of work makes me nervous as there are so many possibilities for irreparable failures and difficulties finding materials that will look good...

Already had salvaged some black leather of similar thickness & grain to the vinyl used a few months back from a fairly new office chair that had been damaged & thrown away at work.

Flattened and glued the inner steel support strip between two layers of the sturdy paper material used for hanging folder holders cut to size. Once glued was cured, measured and cut a strip of the leather to wrap around it as was done on original. Glued one edge on back side, weighted down carefully to hold in place until glue set. Wrapped around snugly, put a strip of masking tape on remaining edge, applied glue, then pulled edge into place with tape and pressed into position. Weighted down once again until glue dry...

Now need to find some heavy white nylon thread of same thickness (just under 1/32") of original cotton. Anyone know how thread is "sized" ???

Once thread is located & purchased, plan to use the good P-780 handle as a pattern to "pre-punch" all the holes for sewing so that it looks uniform and as close to original as possible...

Have hopes of getting it done & installed within next couple weeks if I can find that thread !

A couple pics below of today's work...

Stay tuned !
John

Attachments:
ARF 865 NEW HNDL INPROCESS.jpg
ARF 865 NEW HNDL INPROCESS.jpg [ 101.71 KiB | Viewed 1430 times ]
ARF 865 NEW HNDL INPROCESS INS.jpg
ARF 865 NEW HNDL INPROCESS INS.jpg [ 64.15 KiB | Viewed 1430 times ]
ARF 865 NEW HNDL INPROCESS OUT.jpg
ARF 865 NEW HNDL INPROCESS OUT.jpg [ 60.33 KiB | Viewed 1430 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Sun 11, 2016 2:12 pm 

That is going to look really good once it has been stitched. Great job!

Colin

PostPosted: Dec Sun 11, 2016 6:38 pm 

Thanks Colin---still nervous about doing the "pre-punching" and sewing. And need to find the proper size white nylon thread...

Will sure be glad to finally complete this radio !

John

PostPosted: Dec Sun 11, 2016 7:31 pm 

Did a bit of research on Google...

Need white nylon or polyester---#277, T270, TEX 270 size... Hope I can find it locally !

Saw that there is white & raw-white---wonder which would be proper ??? Am guessing the raw white since it's not as bright/clean looking...

John

PostPosted: Dec Sun 11, 2016 8:47 pm 

http://www.joann.com/search?q=white+nylon+thread

http://www.joann.com/search?q=white+polyester+thread

PostPosted: Dec Tue 13, 2016 1:48 pm 

Thanks for links, Richard, but don't find that size on their site...

John

PostPosted: Dec Tue 13, 2016 8:24 pm 

Hey John - have you checked your local Tandy Leather store? They sure carry several different threads made for this very purpose.

Joe

PostPosted: Dec Wed 14, 2016 1:35 pm 

Thanks for the tip, Joe...

Their store is around 20 miles from here. Couldn't find anyone locally who stocks it and they only have large spools available on-line...

Placed a WTB ad here last night hoping that someone who does leather or upholstery work might have a few feet to spare...

John

PostPosted: Nov Sat 18, 2017 10:29 pm 

Hello All,

This P-865A is FINALLY COMPLETE !!! And it only took 5+ years (including several hours today just on the handle !)...

Decided last night that it was about time to finish the handle for this set (have been nervous about possible failure). Had already purchased a large spool of the correct thread off of Ebay earlier this year and had no other projects in-process to use as an excuse, so began by gluing it together in center with a small bead about an inch long of Loctite Go-2 Gel adhesive---just enough to bond it together without "oozing" out the edges. Covered with a piece of cardboard for protection and weighted it down overnite for glue to fully cure.

Using another handle for hole location measurements, applied a strip of the "delicate surface" 3M painter's tape and marked locations. Punched holes by hammering smooth wire brads of O.D. slightly larger than needle through handle into pine board, then pulling out carefully with small Vice-Grips (left four in outer corners to hold handle securely in place on board). Then slowly sewed edges forward and back pulling tightly, but carefully after each stitch with the proper thread obtained earlier after researching correct size. Where the ends came together, carefully tied a small knot and applied a tiny amount of Super-glue to bond---after the glue set, trimmed excess with nail trimmers.

Installed handle to radio cover and was very grateful that it fit perfectly and looked very good---even with the hand stitching not being as straight as original. And it lifts radio as it should and then can be pressed back down flat for storage.

Had already made a battery clip pigtail to install once handle done and soldered wiring into place after routing around edge of battery tray so it could be tucked into gap if "D" cells were ever used again... The 6-"AA" holder fits fine into compartment and can be easily removed to use with other radios when needed.

Radio worked beautifully when powered up, though the volume control has gotten a bit scratchy in spots from sitting, even though it was thoroughly "treated" with De-Oxit Faderlube after "rebuild" years ago.

Am very glad & thankful that this neat set is actually finished and turned out well after many challenges !

Pics below...
John

Attachments:
1ARF 865A NEW HNDL HOLES PUNCHED.jpg
1ARF 865A NEW HNDL HOLES PUNCHED.jpg [ 250.16 KiB | Viewed 263 times ]
2ARF 865A NEW HNDL STITCHIN.jpg
2ARF 865A NEW HNDL STITCHIN.jpg [ 249.83 KiB | Viewed 263 times ]
3ARF 865A NEW HNDL CMPLT.jpg
3ARF 865A NEW HNDL CMPLT.jpg [ 136.21 KiB | Viewed 263 times ]
4ARF 865A BAT CLIP TAP-IN.jpg
4ARF 865A BAT CLIP TAP-IN.jpg [ 186.32 KiB | Viewed 263 times ]
5ARF 865A BAT OPTION.jpg
5ARF 865A BAT OPTION.jpg [ 223.3 KiB | Viewed 263 times ]
6ARF 865A FINALLY CMPLT.jpg
6ARF 865A FINALLY CMPLT.jpg [ 201.32 KiB | Viewed 263 times ]

Post subject: Re: The GE P-865 AM/FM is here---project *COMPLETED* !
PostPosted: Nov Sat 18, 2017 11:58 pm 

You did an outstanding job on that handle.

Colin

PostPosted: Nov Sun 19, 2017 4:16 am 

Thanks very much, Colin---sure wish the stitching was more straight, but that leather was so much more flexible & soft than original vinyl that it "squirmed" a bit while placing the brads during "punch" operation... So relieved, though, that it's finally done...

Those oldies on Zoomer 740 are sure sounding good on it tonight !

John

PostPosted: Nov Sun 19, 2017 4:32 am 

Nice work, John!

Hey, do you think you could make a brown one for my P-780? :wink:

PostPosted: Nov Sun 19, 2017 4:45 am 

Thanks Richard !

I'll gladly offer guidance and encouragement if you want to make one !

The "ginger" one in background is for one of my other P-780's when I get enough patience back to stitch it together---the original stitching was rotted, so pulled it out to use as an example for making this one...

John

PostPosted: Nov Sun 19, 2017 2:37 pm 

Great work!

PostPosted: Nov Sun 19, 2017 4:05 pm 

Thanks Metzman !

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 105 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next