Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 11:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cobra Scanner SR900, weird problem.
PostPosted: Mar Thu 28, 2013 4:37 pm 

I'm not sure if a old scanner qualifies here or in the clubhouse, but a customer brings this thing to me with the complaint it works fine when cold, but as it warms up the scan speed starts to run slower and slower till it stops on a channel and stays there. You would think using a heat gun and a can of freeze spray it would be a piece of cake, right? Nope, you heat anywhere on the board and the scan slows down to a stop, you spray anywhere on the board and it starts to scan faster! I don't have a schematic for this thing to see exactly what determines the scan speed. And why temperature has an effect. I thought maybe all the amber colored glue they used at the factory to hold things down was causing leakage, cleaned it all off, no effect. Replaced several caps, no effect. Any of you guys have any idea? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Cobra Scanner SR900, weird problem.
PostPosted: Mar Fri 29, 2013 12:07 am 

Instead of a heat gun, try a soldering iron on a lamp dimmer so you can dial down the temp. Chill the entire unit outdoors or in a 'fridge to give a longer warmup time.

I'd almost suspect a poor solder joint somewhere.

Good luck with that tough dog!
-Ed

PostPosted: Mar Fri 29, 2013 12:23 am 

Not sure about a bad solder joint.... I'm thinking a resistor or transistor heating up.
Of course a good check with a magnifying glass won't hurt.

Didn't Sam's have a schematic series for scanners? -- Hmmm....

~ Mitch ~

PostPosted: Mar Fri 29, 2013 1:38 am 

That sounded like a good tip Ed. Narrowing down the heat channel sure would be the thing to try.

Paul

PostPosted: Mar Fri 29, 2013 9:28 pm 

Since the unit was so sensitive to just a few degrees difference of temperature I did as suggested, using a solder iron as a heat source, slowly going around the components till I found the culprit! A adjustable slug type coil just by putting my finger on it a few seconds caused the scanning to stop! Well, howinhell do you find a new coil for something built in 1989? I went on evilpay and there are about a dozen complete units with the same model number for sale for 10 dollars on up! I sent the customer the info suggesting to just buy one of those units instead of hunting down a part number and trying to find a replacement coil. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

PostPosted: Mar Fri 29, 2013 11:55 pm 

Hmmm.... There's not much in an adjustable coil to fail, so I'd bet the coil is out of adjustment.
Without a schematic or photograph, its hard to determine whats going on from the forum's perspective.

~ Mitch ~

PostPosted: Mar Sun 31, 2013 4:20 am 

Glad my tip helped! Just for fun, reflow the solder joints around that coil. It may not cure it, but won't cost much to try.
-Ed