Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Thu 21, 2018 9:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Zenith Royal 705 "project"...
PostPosted: Jan Sun 12, 2014 4:35 pm 

OK John, Now I can say that I have seen it all. Really great solution. Had no idea you had that kind of room for the micro-switch and I forgot about you having to replace the pot and that extreme modification to it.

You are the electro-mechanical guy to go to.

Jay

PostPosted: Jan Sun 12, 2014 7:19 pm 

Thanks very much for the good words, Guys !

Sure helps make the hours & headaches worthwhile...

Now that radio is done, tried it out about an hour ago to see how it performed during daylight---and another WOW is appropriate ! Distant stations across entire dial coming in clearly... Need to get the "hottest" performers out again one day for comparison, but think this set will be right at the top of the "list". Mentioned earlier that I'd heard that these are good DX radios---and they weren't kidding !

Hope Frank gets his going soon !

John

PostPosted: Jan Tue 14, 2014 11:02 pm 

I hope I can get it up to proper performance soon as well, but I've been of work with a knee injury (slipped on ice at home - not work related) and my money is drying up, so as it stands I am working on my back log of projects using the stuff I have on hand...

I'd be back at work if I could, but my Dr. wants me to wear a knee brace since I will be on my feet all day, but my employer wants paperwork for it... Its a bunch of bureaucratic paperwork and approval bull crap. Sorry about the O/T rant...

PostPosted: Jan Wed 15, 2014 3:13 am 

Hey Frank,

I understand about "bureaucratic" messes... And know you'll really enjoy that Royal 705 when you are able to get it into shape...

John

PostPosted: Feb Fri 16, 2018 2:34 am 

Just bought a 705 for a song, in "untested" condition, which usually means somethings wrong with it. Pickin it up tomorrow. Hoping for the best. Just looked it up and came across your (and brett buck's) adventures. You s both have some dragstrip courage when it comes to VCs! Very curious now what I will be up against. Also noticed that mouser apparently no longer stocks those 5K controls. Yikes.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 16, 2018 3:27 am 

Hey Metzman---looking forward to hearing about your new project !

Liked these so much that I accumulated a few including a couple of the identical Royal 66's---and only the one needed the vol. ctl. surgery (fortunately !), so chances are that yours is okay. Use the "doctored" one in family room as the"regular" radio since performance and sound quality so good...

Don't forget to let us know how it goes---and good luck !

John

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 46 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3