Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 9:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Two Panasonic RF-6060 FM-AM Radar Matic projects...
PostPosted: Apr Sat 30, 2016 3:42 am 

Hello All,

Have one of these in the "pipeline" and wonder if anyone might have the service data they could scan and share ?

Thanks much !

John

EDIT: Dave merged this and the later thread about the 2nd set per my request since the two radios have been combined to give one good set with the "ugly" one to hopefully put in order eventually... Hopefully all can muddle through the confusion as I have !

Last edited by xrhonda91 on Jun Sat 11, 2016 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Panasonic RF-6060 FM-AM Radar Matic project...
PostPosted: May Mon 02, 2016 10:03 pm 

Received radio today---was packed fairly well in foam-rubber, but heard a loud "rattling around" when handling box... Opened back of set and found that the ferrite antenna rod was broken into three pieces---ARGHHH !!! Will these pieces hold together well with Superglue Gel ??? What about performance loss ??? Wonder how hard it would be to find the same rod in another junk Panasonic product for replacement ???

Radio was dirtier that I thought and the tuning dial WAS cracked in two places... There are a few dings in speaker grille & dial surround. Also, previous owner's name and address was engraved on top half of back cover along with what looks like a military I.D. number. Name was also written on bottom half with a different address and what appears to be a phone number...

The battery compartment had some dried leakage residue on the inside end, so thoroughly cleaned before installing batteries.

Seller said that radio would not come on and discovered that the power switch contact in volume control was "sluggish". After "rocking" knob a bit, radio came to life---and it works fairly well after "working & wiggling" band switch. The auto-tuning also works, but like my R-1000, it doesn't "trigger" well on lower half of AM band. The FM tuning is broad like a couple other early FM sets I have in collection. AM performance is mediocre with broken rod, but this set has PLENTY of audio and sounds pretty good as it is...

Pics below---I'd already given the radio a preliminary "wipe-down" with damp cloth to remove most of loose dust & dirt... This radio is somewhat larger than I'd thought it would be...

Stay tuned for progress !

John

Attachments:
ARF 6060 BROKEN FERRITE ROD INSIDE 5-2-2016.jpg
ARF 6060 BROKEN FERRITE ROD INSIDE 5-2-2016.jpg [ 224.75 KiB | Viewed 3524 times ]
ARF 6060 BROKEN FERRITE ROD PIECES 5-2-2016.jpg
ARF 6060 BROKEN FERRITE ROD PIECES 5-2-2016.jpg [ 230.6 KiB | Viewed 3524 times ]
ARF 6060 FRT AFTER 1ST WIPE-DOWN  5-2-2016.jpg
ARF 6060 FRT AFTER 1ST WIPE-DOWN 5-2-2016.jpg [ 228.79 KiB | Viewed 3524 times ]

PostPosted: May Mon 02, 2016 10:43 pm 

John - I have used Super Glue to repair ferrite antenna rods that were broken in several transistor radios and haven't noticed a loss in performance. - Mark

PostPosted: May Tue 03, 2016 1:41 pm 

John,
When I was much younger, before the days of superglue, I dropped my Toshiba transistor radio and snapped the ferrite rod in half. I made a "splint" from balsa wood and used Scotch tape to hold everything together. I didn't notice any loss of performance, I could still receive Radio Luxembourg!

Colin

PostPosted: May Tue 03, 2016 3:38 pm 

I've used JB Weld. The best is the standard version but I've also used the 5-minute version with success.

Dave

PostPosted: May Wed 04, 2016 12:37 pm 

Thanks much, Guys !

Had thought about the JB weld & Super Glue gel. Think the standard JB Weld has iron particles in it...

Maybe will try the Super glue first before I buy the epoxy...

And Colin, remember just taping with black electrical tape as a kid (with no splints)...

John

PostPosted: May Wed 04, 2016 7:52 pm 

The important things to remember when gluing a ferrite antenna rod is to be sure the break is exactly in its original position and to tightly clamp the pieces together as the glue sets.

Dave

PostPosted: May Thu 05, 2016 5:26 pm 

And don´t forget to readjust the position of the antenna coil because de inductance will be different.

PostPosted: May Fri 06, 2016 2:08 am 

Dave, plan to "dry-fit" & make alignment marks with red pencil, then glue. Think the Superglue Gel will allow a "tighter" bond than the "JB" since it is much thinner. How do you clamp these safely ? Thought about putting into a piece of rigid tubing of close I.D., but glue around edges could possibly bond to it...

Thanks Huesby---had wondered about that when I held both broken pieces in position against main section without noticeable difference in performance, but when I placed one of them at opposite end, signal level increased noticeably.

Wonder if any "cheaper" Panasonic sets of same era used the same antenna rod ???

John

PostPosted: May Fri 06, 2016 2:56 am 

xrhonda91 wrote:
How do you clamp these safely ?
I've had good luck using one of these $4 Harbor Frieght clamps. You don't need much pressure...just enough to ensure that the pieces are snugged together nicely. I don't think I've ever needed to use a support tube.

Attachment:
Harbor Freight Clamp.jpg
Harbor Freight Clamp.jpg [ 48.41 KiB | Viewed 3361 times ]

Dave

PostPosted: May Fri 06, 2016 1:46 pm 

Greg.

Edit: image update.

Last edited by egg on Nov Thu 16, 2017 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May Fri 06, 2016 7:32 pm 

John, I have repaired 5 or 6 ferrite antennas with superglue, and only in one case did it not set pretty much immediately (perhaps the binder material was different in that case).
What I generally do is this:
1. Dry fit the parts and put a line across the break with a marker.
2. Apply a light coat of superglue to both pieces.
3. Press the parts together, being careful to line them up right first (since it usually sets very fast).
4. Hold them together for ~30 seconds.

PostPosted: May Sat 07, 2016 3:11 am 

Thanks Guys for responses & pics !

Dave---after seeing your pic, think I could modify something I already have if necessary...

Greg---never heard of an RF-660 ! Wonder if they ever made it to market before the "upgrade" ? Do you actually have that manual ?

Matt---pretty much what I'd planned except for applying glue to both surfaces which might be wise... Still haven't bought the glue, but probably will next time I'm in Wal-mart.

John

PostPosted: May Sat 07, 2016 3:26 am 

xrhonda91 wrote:
---never heard of an RF-660 ! Wonder if they ever made it to market before the "upgrade" ?
Here's one that sold on ebay back in February.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Panasonic- ... 7675.l2557

Your radio looks awfully close to the RF-2000. The dial is a little different.

Dave

PostPosted: May Sat 07, 2016 3:39 am 

Thanks for the link Dave---glad to have seen one !

The 2000 looks even more like the AM-only R-1000 which I have style-wise. Since the RF-6060 is basically an upgraded 660, wonder if it came out before the 2000 ?

Am curious about the "remote"---need to see if it is visible in schematic that Greg posted page of. Thought it was simply a remote speaker jack as some Japanese sets had those along with the one for earphone...

John

PostPosted: May Sat 07, 2016 12:35 pm 

Maybe the remote control jack is simply connected in parallel with the button on top that activates the seeking system. I think wired remote activation is sort of silly to have on a portable radio. Then again, I think the seeking idea is silly on a portable radio anyway. (Yes, I realize some of the newer digital sets have this.) I bought my RF-2000 at a flea market because it is such a novelty and I think worthy of being included in any collection of transistor radios. Mine had shorted audio output transistors and bad electrolytics but it did turn out to be a decent performer on both AM and FM. I think Channel Master had something similar.

Dave

PostPosted: May Sat 07, 2016 3:14 pm 

The remote control (which I can't find a good picture of) allowed you to "auto tune" and also change the volume... I guess it would have allowed you to control the radio from bed without having the radio on the bed itself, but yeah it's kind of pointless.

PostPosted: May Sat 07, 2016 3:32 pm 

Dave---yes, these are novel sets and Channel Master as well as a couple other companies offered "signal-seeking" radios during that time frame. The newer, digital "signal seekers" are great as they do get you "dead-on" frequency when tuning... The remote is sure interesting on a portable set---maybe could make a wireless unit to use with it ???

Matt---if you ever do come across a picture of that accessory, please post it. Really neat idea, but as you say, kinda pointless with a portable radio of this size...

John

PostPosted: May Sun 08, 2016 3:15 am 

John, The RF-660 service manual is available on→ ecrater out of Derby Line, Vermont.
It's advertised as one of a pair (alongside a chicken box service manual) for 14 bucks.
Might be worth a try haggling!

Greg.

PostPosted: May Mon 09, 2016 1:05 am 

Thanks again, Greg !

Maybe since we know the primary manual is for an RF-660, someone here might realize they have it ?

John

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 51 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next