Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 11, 2017 10:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Panasonic RF-6060 FM-AM Radar Matic project...
PostPosted: May Tue 10, 2016 2:24 am 

Had a vacation day and weather rainy, so spent most of it on this radio...

Disassembled, flattened dents in grille the best I could which took a long while, and thoroughly cleaned case & parts/pieces... There was some type of brown staining or discoloration on top brushed-aluminum ledge which I couldn't remove with Windex or alcohol, so used Mothers California Gold wax which contains a mild cleaner and rubbed vigorously with a Q-tip---appearance improved, but some staining remained... Also did this with the dial surround which had some "cloudy" spots and it now looks somewhat better... Went over the scuffed dial lens a few times with Novus-2...

This radio had evidently been dropped---not only was ferrite rod broken, but a corner of PCB at mounting point and one of the plastic PCB to case support bosses.

Still need to get Superglue and attempt ferrite rod repair along with reattaching support boss and replace the electrolytic caps which doesn't look fun with all the wiring on bottom of PCB...

More to come including pics...

John

PostPosted: May Wed 11, 2016 5:47 am 

I have several different versions of these radar-matic portables. IMO, they are the Cadillac of auto-tuning portable radios. The genius of the Panasonic design was the decision to use a high-quality wind-up mechanism which didn't drain the batteries. Other portables made by Hitachi and Sony used electric motors which made operation of the auto-tune iffy as the batteries declined.

Panasonic also made a different family of auto-tune radios that used meters to display the frequency instead of a tuning mechanism. I have a couple of these radios. I have not examined the circuitry but I suspect that they used some sort of voltage ramp-up circuit connected to a varactor, with the meter reading the voltage and displaying it as a frequency.

PostPosted: May Fri 13, 2016 1:32 am 

That "meter" tuning indicator sounds interesting---do you know any of the model numbers which had this feature ???

John

Post subject: 2nd Panasonic RF-6060 Radar Matic (parts set) project...
PostPosted: May Sat 21, 2016 4:53 am 

Marty clued me in on this set's appearance on Ebay as a possible parts set for the one I'd just bought. It looked pretty dirty & rough, so thought I might get it at a good price. I contacted the seller and asked them to take an inside pic so I could see if ferrite-rod antenna was in good condition---they did and it was... Also needed the dial window since mine was cracked and thought this one would clean up... There were a couple other bidders, but did get it for a reasonable amount, thankfully...

Well, it arrived today and was a "mixed bag"---the ferrite-rod antenna was perfect, but the "dirt" on dial window was actually what looked like PVC cement---ARGHHH ! Was finally able to remove some of the larger "blobs" by tedious scraping with fingernails, but they left cloudy depressions in plastic. The smaller spots were flush and couldn't be touched. Tried Novus-2 vigorously, but no-go---ARGHHH (again)... Don't know how thick the plastic is, but it is flat and may be able to "refinish" it---has anyone done this with success on clear plastic ??? The top, plastic edge of case is also splattered with same substance which is securely bonded into surface... Grille on this one is "ding-free", but has several heavy scratches...

The battery compartment was actually cleaner than other set with only one of the positive "button" contacts corroded---after carefully scraping off a fairly thick layer of non-conductive residue and installing batteries, radio came to life and worked excellent !!! Much more sensitive and selective on AM (almost as good as set with tuned RF-amp stage) than first and sounds great ! But the auto-tune only stopped on strongest signals---even in "DX" mode.

The "winder" for auto-tune mechanism just spun free, so pulled cover and found that the spring wire had come off of pawl tab (simple fix)... And this spring-driven motor is much quieter and smoother than other set...

Now it looks like I'm now going to try and fix both ! Neither will be pretty, but this one works so well that I just can't part it out... And maybe the other will be a great performer, also, once ferrite rod is glued and set is "peaked" ??? Two "ugly ducklings" with not enough good cosmetic parts between them to make one "purty"... (arghhh)

More to come and be sure to check out thread on 1st set...

John

Attachments:
ARF RF-6060 2ND EBAY PIC.jpg
ARF RF-6060 2ND EBAY PIC.jpg [ 219.44 KiB | Viewed 2459 times ]

Post subject: Re: 2nd Panasonic RF-6060 Radar Matic (parts set) project...
PostPosted: May Sun 22, 2016 3:43 am 

Hello All,

Got all the "cosmetic" cleaning completed today, but ran out of time to take pics with outside projects beckoning... Hope to get them taken & posted tomorrow. Those solvent based glue "splatters" pretty much attacked all plastic on top & front---guess it will be a "clean ugly"...

John

PostPosted: May Sun 22, 2016 9:31 pm 

Here are the cleaned parts pics along with "before" shots of both PCB's. Notice difference between 1st & 2nd cases in last pic---that solvent-based glue really did some damage to plastic...

Hope to get this set's better performing chassis in tip-top shape and installed in first one's case once I glue broken mounting boss...

Gotta stop somewhere !

John

Attachments:
1ARF 6060 2ND CASE CLND OUT.jpg
1ARF 6060 2ND CASE CLND OUT.jpg [ 245.5 KiB | Viewed 2409 times ]
2ARF 6060 2ND CASE CLND IN.jpg
2ARF 6060 2ND CASE CLND IN.jpg [ 195.56 KiB | Viewed 2409 times ]
3ARF 6060 BOTH PCS PIC.jpg
3ARF 6060 BOTH PCS PIC.jpg [ 229.5 KiB | Viewed 2409 times ]
4ARF 6060 BOTH PCBS.jpg
4ARF 6060 BOTH PCBS.jpg [ 218.57 KiB | Viewed 2409 times ]
5ARF 6060 BOTH CASES CLND.jpg
5ARF 6060 BOTH CASES CLND.jpg [ 238.34 KiB | Viewed 2409 times ]

PostPosted: May Sat 28, 2016 5:22 am 

The solution is fairly simple-if it works.

Hit the damaged window with sandpaper just coarse enough to leave a window with consistent cloudiness throughout. You'll have to use your best judgement here-if you aren't sure, start with a pretty fine grit and work your way up in coarseness until the damage is sanded off with no blemishes remaining.

Then, you hit the window with progressively finer grits of sandpaper. Each finer grit should make the window a bit clearer. By the time you're through with the sandpaper, you'll be sanding with paper that is several thousand grit in fineness.

Then, top it off with No. 7 Polishing compound, the kind that comes in a little white and green tub at the auto parts store. Give that window a lot of elbow grease with this stuff, and you should have a window that's very clear.

Note the caveat in the first sentence above and the weasel-wording in the last. I have done this a few times on other radios that were really a mess, and they came out looking better, with most of them turning out pretty awesome. However we are dealing with plastic here, and some forms of plastics will respond to certain treatments better than others.

Caveat Emptor, YMMV, Past performance is not a guarantee of future return, (your favorite disclaimer here), etc, etc.

PostPosted: May Tue 31, 2016 2:26 am 

Thanks for the info---had wondered about attempting this since the plastic is fairly thin and the couple of "glue globs" I scraped out with fingernails left noticeable depressions. But the face of window is totally flat which would make the task easier...

If I can get up the nerve for this, I'll post...

Would wet sanding with a fine grit also be effective ?

John

PostPosted: Jun Fri 03, 2016 4:27 am 

After masking off the aluminum frame to prevent damage to finish, wet-sanded the dial window on kitchen counter with 320 grit sandpaper. Took several passes of sanding, rinsing, and inspection to finally eliminate all the damage to plastic.

Now ready for something with super fine grit to prepare it for polishing---what do you recommend ??? Wet-sanding left a very smooth surface...

Thanks !
John

Attachments:
ARF 6060 WETSANDED DIAL WINDOW.jpg
ARF 6060 WETSANDED DIAL WINDOW.jpg [ 190.1 KiB | Viewed 2248 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Fri 10, 2016 5:07 am 

Didn't hear back, so bought the finest grit wet/dry sandpaper I could find at Walmart---2000 grit...

Hope to wet sand with this tomorrow and that it will be ready for some grade of polish...

Glued the broken plastic PCB support/mounting boss with Super-glue tonight in the 1st, better-looking case---if this dial window turns out well, that is where it will go...

Stay tuned...

John

PostPosted: Jun Fri 10, 2016 6:39 pm 

Good news so far !

Wet-sanded the dial window with 2000 grit this morning---had to go over it several times for uniform "finish" and to clean off the plastic residue on sandpaper. Then went over it many times with Novus-2 to obtain a shiny, clear surface---there are still some slightly cloudy areas that appear to be inside the plastic when held up to bright light, but they aren't normally noticeable...

Disassembled the "good" 2nd PCB's signal-seeker winding mechanism which winded "erratically"---found that a drive gear tooth was broken and that the ratchet-pawl had been slightly bent and would bind during motion (see picture below). The 1st PCB had a good "winder" but was seeker mechanism itself was noisy, so transferred good parts to this unit---all now seems okay...

Hope to get this recapped, signal-seeker sensitivity issue resolved, and back together in the next couple days...

Guess this "cosmetic mess" will end up with all the "2nd-rate" parts, but still hope to get in working and back together one day...

John

Attachments:
ARF 1ST WINDOW OUT.jpg
ARF 1ST WINDOW OUT.jpg [ 223.03 KiB | Viewed 2178 times ]
ARF 1ST POLISHED 2ND WINDOW INSTLD.jpg
ARF 1ST POLISHED 2ND WINDOW INSTLD.jpg [ 202.92 KiB | Viewed 2178 times ]
ARF 2ND BRKN WNDR DRV GEAR.jpg
ARF 2ND BRKN WNDR DRV GEAR.jpg [ 198.71 KiB | Viewed 2178 times ]
ARF SGNL SKR DRV SPRNG MECH RMVD.jpg
ARF SGNL SKR DRV SPRNG MECH RMVD.jpg [ 213.5 KiB | Viewed 2178 times ]
ARF 2ND REPAIRED SIG-SKR MECHNSM.jpg
ARF 2ND REPAIRED SIG-SKR MECHNSM.jpg [ 209.15 KiB | Viewed 2178 times ]

Post subject: Re: Two Panasonic RF-6060 FM-AM Radar Matic projects...
PostPosted: Jun Sat 11, 2016 1:08 am 

Whew ! Got the 1st & 2nd set "merger" together today, but still have issues with the AM signal-seeking sensitivity and after the repair to mechanism, the "stop point" is out of alignment so even though FM seeking fine, it stops far enough off frequency to be unlistenable. Need to get the Panasonic service manual to get it in order.

RF & audio performance is so good, decided to forgo electrolytic replacement for now at least.

The tuning dial window looks excellent, thankfully ! Appreciate Primitiveradiogod's input which helped motivate the tedious but fruitful sanding/polishing process...

Here are the final "merger" details: The "good" radio uses the 1st set's case with refinished dial window & frame, battery compartment door, PCB, antenna, and speaker from 2nd. The 2nd set's PCB now has the signal-seeker unit's winding mechanism from 1st. I glued the 1st set's ferrite-rod antenna together successfully today and it's AM performance now seems comparable to 2nd, so will eventuallyl get the "ugly duckling" of the pair in order---if I can straighten that bent drive gear pawl so it will move freely, think the "winder" will still work with the missing gear tooth...

Below are the "mostly" complete pics including one with the R-1000 AM Radar Matic and last with the T-81 with which it shares some case styling similarities...

John

Attachments:
ARF 1ST & 2ND MERGER CMPLT FRT LFT.jpg
ARF 1ST & 2ND MERGER CMPLT FRT LFT.jpg [ 238.79 KiB | Viewed 2167 times ]
ARF 1ST & 2ND MERGER CMPLT FRT RT.jpg
ARF 1ST & 2ND MERGER CMPLT FRT RT.jpg [ 232.62 KiB | Viewed 2167 times ]
ARF 1ST & 2ND MERGER CMPLT FRT.jpg
ARF 1ST & 2ND MERGER CMPLT FRT.jpg [ 219.49 KiB | Viewed 2167 times ]
ARF R-1000 AM RF-6060 AM-FM.jpg
ARF R-1000 AM RF-6060 AM-FM.jpg [ 192.68 KiB | Viewed 2167 times ]
ARF T-81  RF-6060.jpg
ARF T-81 RF-6060.jpg [ 191.56 KiB | Viewed 2167 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Sat 11, 2016 3:14 am 

Having a properly functioning AVC circuit and good IF system alignment is essential in the operation of the AM seeking function. The AVC voltage must rise to a certain triggering level at the proper time to control when the "stop" relay drops out. I found that replacing the electrolytics in my RF-2000 and realigning the AM IF's with a signal generator cured a problem of overshooting the spot where the station is properly tuned.

Is your radio overshooting or undershooting the center point where the stations are properly tuned in?

Dave

PostPosted: Jun Sat 11, 2016 6:17 am 

Hello Dave,

On AM, it never worked correctly---only stopped on the strongest local station, but it was on target and listenable.

FM seek worked great until I disassembled the winding mechanism and had to remove the bracket to which a tension spring was attached---now I believe it overshoots the station just enough that its off freq. One end of that spring is actually soldered to a "bendable" tab on bracket which makes me think that its position/tension is critical...

John

PostPosted: Jun Sat 11, 2016 12:06 pm 

Sorry, I mis-read you post. The FM station seeking works in a similar fashion but depends on proper operation of the AFC circuits to ensure spot-on tuning. Correct alignment of the FM detector stage is necessary for the AFC to work correctly. But that adjustable tension spring probably plays a critical roll as well.

Dave

PostPosted: Jun Sat 11, 2016 8:50 pm 

John, you're a master craftsman with these transistor sets.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 12, 2016 5:40 am 

Thanks Guys...

Dave---sure hope someone will provide the service info so it can be adjusted properly !

db gain---as long as it doesn't involve "bodywork" or painting... Not enough patience for that.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 15, 2016 3:04 am 

Spent a couple hours tonight and got the "ugly" set working & back together !

Was able to get the "ratchet" pawl on winding mechanism straightened/aligned and it worked great once installed---even with missing gear tooth ! The "glue-job" on ferrite rod turned out well and finally mounted the repaired end in its support clamp.

Performance very good on both bands though AM not quite as good as other set, but FM seems better. The signal-seeking circuit also now works great on both bands---even at low end of AM band which it didn't before. Amazed that I got this set's tension spring in correct position... Sound not quite as good as other, but this speaker cone was very slightly warped in one area...

Very thankful it turned out so well and can be used as a "known good" to troubleshoot other set's seeking issues...

Pics later...

John

PostPosted: Jun Sat 18, 2016 4:36 am 

Below are pics of the completed "Ugly" (but clean) set with the last a pic of both...

Hope I can find the service info so that the "good" set's signal-seeking issues can be resolved !

John

Attachments:
ARF 6060 UG DONE INS.jpg
ARF 6060 UG DONE INS.jpg [ 230.38 KiB | Viewed 2073 times ]
ARF 6060 UG DONE BK.jpg
ARF 6060 UG DONE BK.jpg [ 207.84 KiB | Viewed 2073 times ]
ARF 6060 UG DONE FRT.jpg
ARF 6060 UG DONE FRT.jpg [ 194.59 KiB | Viewed 2073 times ]
ARF 6060 GOOD AND UG.jpg
ARF 6060 GOOD AND UG.jpg [ 166.82 KiB | Viewed 2073 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Thu 16, 2017 3:18 am 

Hello all. Sorry to dredge up an old thread.Why bother starting a new one. Does anybody have a free PDF service manual or schema for this radio.I got one of these classics here with distorted FM and very weak AM .Needs a good recap.Thanks in advance.

BTW.Yours look mint John.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 51 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next