Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 21, 2017 11:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Weltron 2004 - replacing bulbs
PostPosted: Dec Tue 27, 2016 10:39 am 

Hi all,

New member here, apologies for any poor use of terminology or formatting.

Last week I was lucky enough to pick up a Weltron 2004 with matching optional speakers at a second hand store for $20. After a good clean up it looks great and the radio is working well, however all of the bulbs seem to be blown and I'm having trouble getting to them to replace them.

I've managed to get the outer cover off and then remove the front cover with all the buttons/switches, but the bulbs are still inaccessible. Particularly the ones that would light up the radio tuning digits, which are behind a black film type of material (which is on a spool and winds as you tune the radio) I don't want to touch this for fear of ripping it or not being able to put it back together.

Can anyone shed some light on how to access and replace these bulbs? Happy to provide photos if needed. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Weltron 2004 - replacing bulbs
PostPosted: Dec Wed 28, 2016 6:58 pm 

Post a few photos Chris.

Image file restrictions here are width-800px by height-800px and file size-256Kb max
use the upload attachment facility underneath the message editor to place your image in-line.
if you struggle to resize images on your computer see this...
viewtopic.php?p=2607380#p2607380

Welcome aboard... :)
Greg.

oh... spent a lot of time in Whangarei many moons ago... Lol

PostPosted: Jan Tue 03, 2017 11:41 am 

Thanks Greg

Sorry for the delayed reply. Christmas got in the way haha.

Here are a few photos of the radio in question

Photo 1 is the front of the radio itself

Photo 2 shows the photo with the front cover removed and the black film type material I mentioned is visible. There are bulbs I want to get to behind this, plus two bulbs you can see below the black film material.

Photo 3 shows the back of the black film and wires which lead to the bulbs inside the plastic box that also holds the black film in place. The bulbs are incased in a hard white material that crumbles and chips easily when I touch it. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I can remove the black film and plastic box surrounding it but then I would start interfering with the string pulley/winding system that tunes the radio, and I fear I'll never get it back together if I do that haha.

The way I see it currently, the only way to access the bulbs is to remove the film from its plastic housing, which seems very difficult for my level of skill, or break down the white material around the bulbs and try to pull them through the resulting hole.

Again any help or thoughts are much appreciated

Attachments:
photo 1.jpg
photo 1.jpg [ 88.66 KiB | Viewed 1823 times ]
photo 2.jpg
photo 2.jpg [ 130.87 KiB | Viewed 1823 times ]
photo 3.jpg
photo 3.jpg [ 82.93 KiB | Viewed 1823 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Tue 03, 2017 6:20 pm 

In 2011 arf member crvee8 from Melbourne posted this info in relation to Weltron 2001 the c.1972 eight-track model.

crvee8 wrote: To disassemble the cabinet is fairly easy. You lift the top half of the case off first by unscrewing two philips head screws located under the top handle. The top half should then lift off. You can then access the telescopic antenna. You then can then see four philips head screws holding the chassis to the bottom half of the case inside on four corners of the chassis. Also unscrew the headphone jack nut at the bottom of the case. Undo those and the bottom half of the case can be removed. The front panel is held to the chassis by four philips head screws. Remove the knobs undo the screws and unscrew the microphone socket nut and the front panel will come off giving access to the lamps. Normally the power lamp and the FM stereo lamp is blown on these. The best way to get the right globe for these is to measure the voltage across the leads. I have seen some variations in voltages on these depending on build models. They used those grain of wheat style bulbs. I used grommets to remount replacements in the ones I have repaired as the originals had rubber mounts that are usually deteriorated with age.

BOB BONCHAK wrote: Interesting that the Sams TSM 131 (transistor service manual) data does not contain the disassembly information or the lamp specifications.

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vie ... 9#p1519689

Sams also produced a photofact for your model 2004 in 1975
no doubt it would also contain little or no disassembly instructions and at $22.00 ...well
https://www.samswebsite.com/en/photofac ... mit=Search

Just wiggle them by grabbing the old white grommets/rubber mounts with long-nosed pliers and pull them out.
Like the good dentist, be firm but gentle.

If you have any trouble tracking down the grain of wheat lamps, let us know.

Someone may give you some guidance as to replacing these with LED's as the grain of wheat lamps are notorious for not lasting very long... :shock:

Greg.

oh... Great photos :)

PostPosted: Jan Tue 03, 2017 10:49 pm 

Thank you for the very helpful replies Greg and Mitch.

So the white plaster material is actually dried rubber? geez haha. I will have a little play with a pair of pliers today to see if I can't get the bulbs loose. With a bit of luck I shouldn't need to disassemble the radio anymore than I already have to replace the bulbs.

Mitch - if you get the chance to post those links that would be fantastic

PostPosted: Jan Wed 04, 2017 2:01 am 

Chris' radio Weltron model 2004 is covered in Sams Set-1525 Folder-3 published 1975
not the 1972 8-track model 2001 TSM-131

Good to see you here Mitch.... :) . hope your doin' OK

Greg.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 05, 2017 2:15 am 

No problem Mitch there's certainly no hurry and you've already been a great help.

I managed to get the lamps out. I ended up breaking away all the white plaster like material around the lamps, which you can see in photo 6 just crumbled into pieces.

Photo 5 shows the back of the radio tuning display box where the bulbs went in, so I'll need to find something to hold the new lamps in these holes.

So now my question is how do I know which type of grain of wheat lamp I need for my radio? I've found a local supplier who has them in a variations ranging from 3V to 14V and 40mA to 100mA.

Just in case it helps, the wires connected to the lamp read: 1007 E35816 FR-1 (UL) AWM HANAI 05A TYPE TR-64 26AWG

Attachments:
photo 6.JPG
photo 6.JPG [ 174.24 KiB | Viewed 1761 times ]
photo 5.JPG
photo 5.JPG [ 148.93 KiB | Viewed 1761 times ]
photo 4.jpg
photo 4.jpg [ 39.06 KiB | Viewed 1761 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Thu 05, 2017 4:25 pm 

KiwiChris wrote: So now my question is how do I know which type of grain of wheat lamp I need for my radio? I've found a local supplier who has them in a variations ranging from 3V to 14V and 40mA to 100mA.

See blue text above... :)

They are likely to be 12 Volt lamps and the current ratings in mA (milliamps) should be shown on the schematic.

Are there two other lamps?

Greg.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 06, 2017 2:21 pm 

My apologies to Greg. I've made several blunders because I didn't pay close attention to his excellent replies. He's right on the money.

That aside, I looked at the 'other' Weltron schematic. No information could be gleaned other than the voltage for the bulbs are 12 VDC. So you need some GOW bulbs rated at 12V.

Mitch

Last edited by PBPP on Jan Tue 10, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 08, 2017 5:30 am 

Sorry Greg, I too didn't read your initial replies closely enough. But knowing they are 12V is a great help.

There are total of six bulbs to replace. Three for the radio tuning screen, one to light up the word 'Stereo', one for the 'tuning level' dial and one for the recording light for the tape deck.

Thanks for additional info Mitch, have sent you a PM/email.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 08, 2017 6:24 pm 

A yellow Weltron 2004 with matching speakers would have been a good deal even for $200, I can believe they let it go for $20!
It seems the Weltron 2010 (which has an 8 track player instead of cassette player) is way more common than the 2004, at least in the USA.
Good luck with getting the bulbs replaced.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 09, 2017 1:00 am 

I don't they had any idea what they had. It was covered in dust and grim and missing the power cord, so I made her an offer. Lucky for me it cleaned up great a new power cord was easy to find. Everything works great except those bulbs and the tape deck.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 22, 2017 11:07 am 

Quick update and a happy ending. Thanks to all your help I have managed to replace the bulbs and now the dials light up and look fantastic. Take a look at the photos below.

Next problem is the tape deck but that can wait for now.

Thanks again

Attachments:
File comment: Dials all lit up
photo 8.jpg
photo 8.jpg [ 57.9 KiB | Viewed 1558 times ]
File comment: Complete radio with matching speakers
photo 9.jpg
photo 9.jpg [ 69.73 KiB | Viewed 1558 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Sun 22, 2017 9:17 pm 

Now THAT looks majorly cool !

The 8 track problem is likely due to the rubber belts getting old, brittle or stretched out. Sometimes the rubber becomes too dried out and breaks. There are still some companies who sell replacement rubber parts.

Only other suggestion would be to polish the outside with some car wax. If you get wax in a groove or seam, just allow it to dry and run an old toothbrush over those areas. You'd be surprised how well it looks!

Mitch

PostPosted: Jan Mon 23, 2017 2:25 am 

Great job! That's a rare set-up.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 23, 2017 3:56 am 

Twenty bucks! You jammy so-and-so! There's one just the same on TradeMe right now and his opener is for $500, yeah, right, dream on, especially as he's listed a swag of defects! Well done.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 24, 2017 5:41 am 

Will be more interesting to see what the $1 reserve white 2004 ends up going for. Doesn't include the optional speakers though

PostPosted: Oct Tue 03, 2017 1:58 am 

Hi Guys, sorry for digging this back up, but does anyone know the actual wattage for these GOW bulbs used??
I also have a 2004 that has all the bulbs blown (surprise, surprise). Also are they all just clear bulbs? I want to find out as much info as possible before I start pulling it apart, so its less likely things will go walking.... Any help would be great!

Attachments:
IMG_3799.JPG
IMG_3799.JPG [ 87.9 KiB | Viewed 239 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Wed 04, 2017 1:28 am 

Get in touch with Chris via email. His address is active at the bottom of his posts when logged in.
He hasn't been here since January this year.

Greg.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 04, 2017 1:36 am 

Hi Greg, I have tried Emailing Chris, but no reply..... That's why I was hoping some other have experience with these great machines!

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 21 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page 1, 2  Next