Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Thu 21, 2017 4:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sony TR-6 Questions
PostPosted: Jun Sun 12, 2016 4:49 pm 

Hi all,

Normally I am not a collector of antique radios, but recently found myself in possession of a Sony Transistor 6 (TR-6). A coworker was helping their grandparents move and saved this radio from the dumpster figuring I might like it since I am a ham radio operator. Even after telling them that the radio is likely rare and has some value they insisted that I take it and do what I like with it.

That being said, I know very little about the radio. I was wondering if the folks here might consider telling me a bit more about how to assess its condition, worth, etc.

It is unlikely that I will hold on to the radio, since it would just gather dust on my desk. So any advice on the best place to sell such an item would also be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully the attached photos help a bit...

Thank you in advance!
Tim - VE7XIX

Attachments:
IMG_1766_small.JPG
IMG_1766_small.JPG [ 229.87 KiB | Viewed 2596 times ]
IMG_1773_small.JPG
IMG_1773_small.JPG [ 158.95 KiB | Viewed 2596 times ]

Post subject: Re: Sony TR-6 Questions
PostPosted: Jun Sun 12, 2016 6:47 pm 

Welcome to the forum! Others can tell you more about the radio and it's value range. If you want to derive the most profit, ebay is probably the way to sell it. If you want to make an ARF forum member potentially happy, you can post a FS ad in our Radio Classified section with an asking price and your location. Offers to buy posted in this discussion will be deleted.

Dave

PostPosted: Jun Sun 12, 2016 7:01 pm 

It is I believe from the late 1950's, Edit - 1956 - so it has value to a collector. Historical value as an early Japanese import, with few survivors today.

Here's some more info:

http://www.tabiwallah.com/radiowallah/s ... intro.html

PostPosted: Jun Sun 12, 2016 9:32 pm 

VE7XIX - Your Sony TR-6 appears to be in excellent condition and you rarely see one for sale. I'm sure there is a collector out there who will pay a considerable amount for your Sony TR-6. Good luck with the sale!

PostPosted: Jun Sun 12, 2016 10:00 pm 

Wow, I can't believe they were considering throwing that away! I have seen that model sell for around $1000 in the past, so it's definitely worth selling.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 12, 2016 11:56 pm 

My 1996 (can't believe that was 20 years ago) Bunis Transistor radio guide lists it's value as $500. That would be without any cracks or chips out of the plastic. Operating condition doesn't matter so much.

List it on eBay; being red in color is a plus, and it should sell for well over $500. Looks like a real beauty!

PostPosted: Jun Mon 13, 2016 2:37 am 

Dig that transistor emblem in the center of the dial

PostPosted: Jun Tue 14, 2016 2:57 am 

Hi all,

Thank you for all the helpful replies!

westcoastjohn, that link was great, many thanks.

Should help me out quite a bit moving forward.

I did manage to scrounge up four "C" batteries around the house and it does seem to be in working order as I was able to pick up the single faint AM station in the area (the joys of northern BC).

It is an interesting radio and was a good excuse to learn about these things a bit more :)

Tim - VE7XIX

PostPosted: Jul Sat 09, 2016 11:54 pm 

Well I ended up purchasing the radio shown in this thread and it arrived pretty much as you see it, although unfortunately it seems to have picked up a hairline crack in the corner that was not in the pictures. The case is translucent, and most of the hairline cracks only show up in bright lighting (thankfully). I just posted a video showing this radio in operation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWxc34UQoUQ
(I am not sure why the colors became washed out after uploading, I am going to try to correct that with YouTube's editing tools)

Attachments:
Front small.jpg
Front small.jpg [ 176.13 KiB | Viewed 2266 times ]
top small.jpg
top small.jpg [ 81.28 KiB | Viewed 2266 times ]
chassis small.jpg
chassis small.jpg [ 108.01 KiB | Viewed 2266 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Sun 10, 2016 12:27 am 

Don't worry about the hairline cracks. This is one of the cleanest TR-6s I've seen.
Most have large cracks and/or chips in the corners. The plastic used for these sets was very
unstable and brittle. This looks like a domestic Japanese model. In Canada all early Sony
radios were branded Sony - Gendis. On the TR-6 the Gendis name was on the brass
insert on the on/off volume knob.
Interesting to note that your radio came from British Columbia, Canada. It certainly wasn't
imported via Gendis (General Distributors)
An individual must have brought it back from Japan.
Also, there are less than 100 of these known to be in the hands of collectors. It's extremely
rare and a wonderful example of a SONY brand radio made by
Tokyo Tsushin Kogyo - (pre Sony Corporation)
Congrats on a great purchase! It's better to have a few rare and quality radios than
a hundred "OK" radios :)

I bought my second maroon TR-6 back in the early spring. It came with the vinyl carry case
and shipping box. (A Canadian Gendis branded set as I'm in Canada)

ImageSony TR-6 by Michael Jack, on Flickr

ImageSony TR-6 back by Michael Jack, on Flickr

ImageSony TR-6 box by Michael Jack, on Flickr

PostPosted: Jul Sun 10, 2016 1:08 am 

Matt - I was wondering who was going to end up with the Sony TR-6 - Congratulations! Thanks for posting the TR-6 youtube video, which I enjoyed watching. The Sony TR-6 didn't appear to have been used much and it is great that it survived in such fantastic condition since being manufactured in 1956! - Mark

PostPosted: Jul Sun 10, 2016 4:30 am 

Congrats Matt on getting that great radio ! Sure glad someone here ended up with it...

Now need to remember to watch your video at work since my data usage is very limited here at home...

John

PostPosted: Jul Sun 10, 2016 6:16 pm 

Wow you really did get a good one there Matt. I think getting one with no chips is almost next to impossible these days.

I really like the video. It shows just how clean it is inside and I am surprised how well it still works for not re-capping.

I have a red TR-6 in the 9000's also I am still trying to restore.
The front is fine but it does have a few chips on the back and the inside is not so hot.

Also it was missing the volume control.
I will have to post some picture of sometime of the various new ones I made trying to recast it from another one I had.
They are quite comical. :)

While we are still on TR-6's does anyone know a way of addressing the white chalky like appearance the plastic gets.
Also I know Matt did not want to polish his(Lucky guy), but does anyone have any tips on polishing the old Sony plastic.
I have tred Novus, but it seems to do little even with #3.

- Shaun

PostPosted: Jul Sun 10, 2016 6:37 pm 

Ok, I had my camera pretty close and took some photos of my attempts at casting.
I learned a fair amount, such as you can't use standard paints to color or you end up with the pink mess in the top left. :)
The Sony maroon color is mostly red with a very slight touch of blue if anyone is interested.

The one at the left middle is obviously the one I am probably going to go with. :D

Attachment:
DSC02177.jpg
DSC02177.jpg [ 58 KiB | Viewed 2209 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Sun 10, 2016 7:23 pm 

michaeljpro wrote:
Don't worry about the hairline cracks. This is one of the cleanest TR-6s I've seen.
Congrats on a great purchase! It's better to have a few rare and quality radios than
a hundred "OK" radios :)

Thanks Mike! I wish I was better at sticking to that ideal, but I also like to repair radios, and sets like this are just worth too much to mess with.

3Transistors wrote:
Matt - I was wondering who was going to end up with the Sony TR-6 - Congratulations! Thanks for posting the TR-6 youtube video, which I enjoyed watching. The Sony TR-6 didn't appear to have been used much and it is great that it survived in such fantastic condition since being manufactured in 1956! - Mark

Mark, I'm glad you liked my video, I wanted to return with an interesting one since it had been a long time.

xrhonda91 wrote:

Congrats Matt on getting that great radio ! Sure glad someone here ended up with it...

Now need to remember to watch your video at work since my data usage is very limited here at home...

John

Thanks John! I don't think I would be able to live with a restricted internet connection.

shaunp wrote:
Wow you really did get a good one there Matt. I think getting one with no chips is almost next to impossible these days.

I really like the video. It shows just how clean it is inside and I am surprised how well it still works for not re-capping.

I have a red TR-6 in the 9000's also I am still trying to restore.
The front is fine but it does have a few chips on the back and the inside is not so hot.

Also it was missing the volume control.
I will have to post some picture of sometime of the various new ones I made trying to recast it from another one I had.
They are quite comical. :)

Thanks Sean!

Is the one with the badge a genuine Sony knob, or is that the result of your efforts? (I would think it would be near impossible to find a spare knob for one of these sets.)

PostPosted: Jul Sun 10, 2016 8:03 pm 

Hi Matt,
Yes the one in the picture was my last atempt. I have another Sony in worse condition that I was using the top medallion from.
Here it is next to the casting original.
I may try one more time to get color exactly right but it's pretty close and I may try to find a creamier white for the volume section.

Attachment:
DSC02180.jpg
DSC02180.jpg [ 62.2 KiB | Viewed 2205 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Wed 01, 2017 6:19 pm 

shaunp - I was wondering what process you were using to make a reproduction dial for your Sony TR-6. I have a couple of transistor radios with damaged dials that would be good candidates for replacement dials. Thanks! - Mark

PostPosted: Mar Thu 02, 2017 3:21 am 

michaeljpro wrote:
It's better to have a few rare and quality radios than a hundred "OK" radios :)

Well, that pretty much describes my collection: the home of the OK radios. :D

PostPosted: Mar Thu 02, 2017 3:25 am 

KnobDial wrote:
michaeljpro wrote:
It's better to have a few rare and quality radios than a hundred "OK" radios :)

Well, that pretty much describes my collection: the home of the OK radios. :D

Michael's the one with a hundred rare and quality radios... :wink:

PostPosted: Mar Thu 02, 2017 5:38 am 

I am still looking at that TR-6 Matt. It really is pretty amazing not having any cracks or chips.

Mark,
I tried several molding compounds and in the end used one called OOMOO.
It's a two part and when mixed flows around the dial parts pretty well hence the "Off" on the TR-6 being reproduced.
When set it's kind of a purple rubber and you can pour any type of molding plastic into.
I have even poured pewter into it and it can take that temperature.
For the TR-6 dial I used molding plastic from TAP plastics than can have color pigment added. I mixed the red and blue pigment for maroon I think.

To make the mold the trick is to have a round mold. I used old plastic bottles cut in half and used the bottom.
In that bottom you put some modeling clay(After working it for a bit to make soft) and push the part into it up to half way.
Then add a small piece of modeling clay from the part to the edge of the bottle. This will be where you pour the molding plastic in.
Then pour in the two part on top above the part and let it set.
Then use a knife to cut the side of the bottle, pull it all out and remove the clay off the bottom.
Get another bottle half and put the top mould and the part back in the new bottom of the bottle the other way around.
Now you spray some mold release over it and mix the two part again and pour over the part again to get the other side.
Then if your really lucky the mold will come apart. :)
If not then you will see the mold line so you can cut along it carefully with a scalpel.
Now you have a mold you can cast a lot of times.

Hope that helps. It's not as bad as it sounds. :)

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 26 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page 1, 2  Next