Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 3:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Raleigh 15 Transistor (yeah right)
PostPosted: Mar Mon 20, 2017 1:49 am 

I came across this Raleigh "high sensitivity" 15 transistor radio and fixed it today. Another from the era of deception. They claimed it to be 15 transistor, but it really has 9.

Here's one for sale new in the box (not mine): http://www.jackbergsales.com/electronic ... gh1540.htm

It was dead as a door knob when I got it. It turned out the 9V jack was bent so the spring action of the plug mechanism wasn't allowing contact. When I bent it back straight, it fired up, but with distorted audio. After replacing the 5 uF electrolytic at the volume control it cleared right up. Pretty nice sounding radio, plenty of volume, not tinny. I shunted the other elctrolytics with no improvement so I left them original for now. Very cheapo looking radio; like something out of the mid seventies. But once its in the black "leather" case its alright I suppose. The Sams on it is actually copyright 1966. High sensitivity? I don't think so. Nothing impressive. The ferrite antenna is massive, but no RF amp stage. The Zenith Royal 80 blows it away (also without an RF amp) It sure is NOT worth the $40 plus shipping this Jack Berg dude is asking.

Attachment:
IMG_1514.JPG
IMG_1514.JPG [ 142.75 KiB | Viewed 1091 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1515.JPG
IMG_1515.JPG [ 105.73 KiB | Viewed 1091 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1517.JPG
IMG_1517.JPG [ 163.06 KiB | Viewed 1091 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1516.JPG
IMG_1516.JPG [ 136.46 KiB | Viewed 1091 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1518.JPG
IMG_1518.JPG [ 87.9 KiB | Viewed 1091 times ]

Post subject: Re: Raleigh 15 Transistor (yeah right)
PostPosted: Mar Mon 20, 2017 5:24 am 

I agree. It's a 9 transistor radio but sold as having 15 transistors. TSM-78 (Dec. 1966) confirms it.

Yours is in nice shape with just a little bit of wear from taking it in and out of the leather case. Not worth $40 plus shipping, more like $20 & shipping. Thing is, despite he's asking $40 for this radio, he pretty much has to ask that much in order to stay in business. Lots of costs associated with trying to sell this radio that most people don't see.

Its a keeper and displays pretty well. Don't know how much you've got into it, but I'd hang on to it if you collect this era/style of transistor radios.

Mitch

PostPosted: Mar Mon 20, 2017 9:50 am 

The inflated transistor count was a riff on the inflated tube count strategy radio makers employed starting in the mid-1930s and persisting for a number of years thereafter. "Raleigh" was a semi-well-known (if inexpensive) radio brand and probably actually used 15 transistors; however a number of these were likely configured as diodes rather than as three-terminal devices. Some may have been redundant (could be removed without impacting radio functionality) but still functional, this technique also a carryover from the inflated-tube-count days.

I recall reading long ago (1960s) that the largest number of transistors a "quality" AM radio needed was eight; however some extra features such as a second IF amp stage could boost that number.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 20, 2017 1:44 pm 

There are 9 transistors on the schematic and 1 diode. Also 9 transistors and 1diode in the parts list. Maybe they originally planned on throwing 15 transistors in,but the beancounters deemed it too expensive? Or maybe they just lied. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mar Mon 20, 2017 3:07 pm 

Wow---so they're not even in there doing nothing as some from that era ???

Pretty bold lie...

Looks good in case, though...

John

PostPosted: Mar Mon 20, 2017 4:49 pm 

Biggest lie I've ever seen in a transistor radio to date.

According to the Sam's Photofact:
9 transistors on the schematic, 9 transistors shown on the pictorial and 9 transistors on the parts list.

Plenty of unused holes on the pcb though. :roll:
Mitch

PostPosted: Mar Tue 21, 2017 1:35 am 

Ladies, Gentlemen. They did not lie. I apologize and deserve 50 lashes. I revisited the Raleigh today to tweak the alignment and I have discovered (by opening my eyes) this thing DOES indeed have 15 transistors. Here they are.

Notice #13 is heavily corroded.

Attachment:
IMG_1519.JPG
IMG_1519.JPG [ 73.77 KiB | Viewed 972 times ]

And here are the ones called out on Sams. (Q1,Q2,...)

Apparently the ones on the Sams diagram are the ones that are active in the circuit. The rest I assume are decoys, they don't appear on the schematic at all. They are soldered to the PCB, but I havent analyzed how they are tied together. It may be that they are soldered in just so they don't fall out. But I was thinking, is it possible to tie several transistors together to create one effectively more powerful transistor? If so, it's not apparent in the performance of the radio. It does have gear reduction (actually pulley reduction) in the tuning knob. You can see it in IMG_1514. Maybe that's their idea of "high sensitivity"

Attachment:
ral15.jpg
ral15.jpg [ 60.56 KiB | Viewed 972 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Wed 22, 2017 12:49 am 

From the earlier pic of PCB bottom, it does look like they are simply soldered in place and do nothing...

Guess it kept junk transistors out of the local dump for awhile and made an impression on the non-electronically minded of the day !

John

PostPosted: Nov Wed 15, 2017 3:50 pm 

Quote:
Guess it kept junk transistors out of the local dump

I haven't checked them but assuming they work maybe I can use them as replacements in other projects. I already have one potential use for them in mind. If they're good I could just swap them out of the raleigh with no ill effect.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 15, 2017 4:25 pm 

I wouldn't even waste my time trying to remove them---they are probably rejects used just to increase that "transistor count" and are worthless...

Just sold a 16-transistor Fiesta pocket set in a group of radios---didn't take it apart to see back side of PCB, but they did have those transistors "crammed" in there !

John

Attachments:
arf fiesta16 frt.jpg
arf fiesta16 frt.jpg [ 132.45 KiB | Viewed 245 times ]
arf fiesta16.jpg
arf fiesta16.jpg [ 174.82 KiB | Viewed 245 times ]