Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 2:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ever-Play Rechargeable Transistor Radio
PostPosted: Jul Fri 07, 2017 1:51 am 

Looking for a schematic for the Everplay P-1266 pocket transistor radio. The PCB has the number etched: E2858. The original battery had corroded things out around the power supply/charger area. One or two traces look like they were fried by a short. It would just make life easier with a schematic rather than to trace out the circuit. I don't suppose an original rechargeable battery can be found anywhere? Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments:
Everplay-Before - 1.jpg
Everplay-Before - 1.jpg [ 92.54 KiB | Viewed 1030 times ]
Everplay-Before - 9.jpg
Everplay-Before - 9.jpg [ 107.78 KiB | Viewed 1030 times ]

Post subject: Re: Ever-Play Rechargeable Transistor Radio
PostPosted: Jul Mon 10, 2017 1:38 am 

I have this exact model awaiting restoration. Mine has a cracked case and I can't recall what shape the circuit board is in.

However, I did find a copy of the schematic in one of the early Sams TSMs, so the diagram is available.

Mitch

PostPosted: Jul Mon 10, 2017 3:02 am 

I have the 1836A model of Every-Play. On the outside it looks almost the same as your model. Sadly, my radio was missing its 3v rechargeable battery as well.

I could find only three models of Every-Play with SAMS schematics: 100 (in TSM 32), 1836A (Set 624-Folder 7), 2836A (TSM 28).

PostPosted: Jul Mon 10, 2017 1:21 pm 

Thanks for the help gentlemen, I'll check this out. I really want to get this thing back into shape.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 10, 2017 4:38 pm 

I'll have to check my Ever-Play to look up the model number. I do know I have that schematic, but can't recall if it was in the Sam's TSM or a loose copy. Don't hold your breath though. I'm away from home right now and not sure when I can dig up both radio and schematic.

Mitch

PostPosted: Jul Mon 10, 2017 11:09 pm 

Thanks Mitch. I'll see what I can do from my end but certainly I would be grateful for your help whenever you are able.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 10, 2017 11:21 pm 

The original battery was a rather short and fat 3.6Volt Ni.Cd (nickel–cadmium).
A proprietary battery manufactured by Gulton Industeries, Metuchen. N.J. in their Alkaline Battery Division for their line of imported rechargeable radios, flashlights and table-lighters in the early 1960's branded Ever-Play.
Today's 3Volt Lithium primary (non-rechargeable) CR123A is 17mm wide by 34mm in length.
The mAh capacity should be around 1500
CR123A holders are available on-line.

Also... the 1/2AA 3.6V Lithium primary (non-rechargeable) is 15MM wide by 25MM in length. mAh is slightly lower.

Your PR1226 trace doesn't look that bad to me. IPA (Isopropyl alcohol) + toothbrush... :)

Greg.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 11, 2017 8:33 pm 

Thanks Greg for the battery info. Very interesting. And, you're probably right, the traces look worse than they might actually be. I just got a Photofact from Steve Johnson on this unit which will make life easier for me. Interesting little power supply, but wow, the earphone jack is hot when plugged into A.C.!! I'll get to work on this one tonight. I may have to add stitching to my skillset if I want to be able to fix up the leather case lol

PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 6:29 am 

Does anyone know about the charger for this radio? What is the voltage that is fed into the radio at the charging port? The battery in my radio still takes and holds a charge, but I have to take the battery out and charge it with about 4.5 volts for eight hours.

Has anyone used the CR123 with holder in this radio?