Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 11, 2017 1:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Realistic Patrolman SW 60
PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 11:50 pm 

Just got this in an inheritance clean out. It appears and operates like new. I would love to obtain a copy of the original owner manual. The title suggests it has a scanner feature, but it appears to me as a very competent AM,FW,SW. I like this radio and listen everyday.

Any hints on the manual?

Post subject: Re: Realistic Patrolman SW 60
PostPosted: Nov Tue 21, 2017 1:52 am 

In case people don't know what a Realistic Patrolman 60 looks like.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 21, 2017 10:11 am 

LudlowLou wrote:
The title suggests it has a scanner feature

What title is that? Doubt it has a scanning feature, being a low priced analog set. Does it have any control knob or switch to actuate a scanning function?

I have a Realistic Portavision; same cabinet, dial type, and control knob layout, but it tunes VHF TV channels in addition to AM/FM, and only has one telescoping antenna.

These are good radios.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 21, 2017 12:20 pm 

I had one of these a few years ago. Its performance was somewhat better than most multiband radios of this type that feature the VHF/UHF public service bands. Not great but not too shabby either. There is no scanning feature. I gave mine to a friend who liked it.

Dave

PostPosted: Nov Tue 21, 2017 1:43 pm 

Wow....this is gonna be great! Thanks for the immediate reply(s).

Not being familiar with VHF & UHF radio bands. I can only recall their use on TVs. What are their intended purpose? The word "Patrolman" gave me the impression that it might have been a scanner.

At 62 I have an appreciation for radio. As a kid, the "old timers" always had an affinity for them....:-). So many wonderful memories connected to radio.

Next subject....another inheritance piece....Zenith Trans-Oceanic Multi Band. It is a beauty which I listen to at my desk, all day long.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 21, 2017 3:04 pm 

The VHF "low" band is pretty much vacant today. The VHF "high" and UHF public service bands are used by police and security agencies, utilities, 911 dispatchers, etc. In some parts of the country, these transmissions are being converted to digital modulation and may use even higher frequencies than this radio covers. The 2-meter ham band occupies 144 - 148 Mhz and the NOAA National Weather Service has its full time weather forecasting broadcasts with transmitters centered around 162.5 MHz.

What model Zenith Trans-Oceanic do you have?

Dave

PostPosted: Nov Tue 21, 2017 7:41 pm 

The AM and FM bands are pretty much all that are useful today. You can tune through the VHF/UHF band positions, but doubtful you'll receive much, if anything.

Now the Zenith T.O. you mentioned, that be on a whole 'nother level... :wink:

PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2017 6:07 am 

Radio Shack sold a whole suite of radios using the Patrolman moniker, from little pocket sets to the larger multi-bands. All featured the (now in disuse) VHF Police Band. Even my 1938 Zenith tuned the MF Police Band of its day, and for many years, it was widely used for local law and public service.

Cruising the old catalogs at http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com I found variants on the Patrolman 60 with emphasis on including CB or DX, besides the SW you own. Same basic radio with a few different frequency ranges based on the buyer's particular listening preferences.

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/html/1981/h156.html I didn't see the SW60 in the linked-to 1981 catalog, but it'll be in this time frame.

-Ed

PostPosted: Nov Thu 23, 2017 11:42 am 

It is pretty good on the AM band. VHF Low Band will work well if you use the Motorola jack in the back of the radio and plug it into a loop -- even a CB band or 10 meter loop antenna will do. During skip season, you can get VHF Low Band skip on it.

I did during the early 90's, was able to hear oil rigs and other signals from the SE US here in the PNW -- on my 11 meter quad loop antenna I had at the time.

Handy radio for weather band, VHF Air, and 2 meter hams. I've heard UHF business comms with my SW60 as late as last year. Even heard a weather satellite on 136 MHz once. Haven't lately -- but haven't tried. Not sure those satellites are still up there anymore, or still beeping when they pass.

On SW it's OK. Probably a handy emergency radio. A set of C cells lasts a while.