Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Tue 23, 2018 11:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Standard SR-J808FA is Awesome Radio!
PostPosted: Sep Mon 21, 2009 1:06 am 

Talk about a lot of radio in a small package. I almost didn't buy this at antique mall over the weekend. I figured for a mere $5.00 I could sell it and make a few bucks. I wasn't expecting much at all from it. After cleaning it up and dropping in fresh C cells -- I wouldn't part with this radio!

The overall physical condition was super clean and only needed a little dusting and polishing. But, the real story is in its performance. In a word: WOW!. It picks up a gizzilion stations on all three bands: AM, FM and SW. Side by side comparison with my Zenith D7000Y is an eye opener. I love my Zenith, but this little Standard holds its own and more!

The only thing lacking is some band spread and fine tuning and maybe a dial light. I was wondering if any of you other guys know of this model and what do you think of it?? Curious?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Mon 21, 2009 1:36 am 

Doesn't the tuning knob have a high and low ratio instead of electrical bandspread?

I had a National Panasonic that had an arrangement like that - a sort of planetary gear done with ball bearings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Mon 21, 2009 1:37 am 

I agree that, besides making the Micronic Ruby series, Standard made some pretty amazing larger radios. Here is my SR-L555F, a true miniature T/O wanna-be with 6-band coverage including LW and FM. I'm impressed with the extremely high degree of mechanical precision than went into making this radio.

Attachment:
SR-L555F(1).jpg
SR-L555F(1).jpg [ 206.91 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]

I also have an example of the SR-J808FA and agree with your comments.

Dave

Last edited by Dave Doughty on Sep Mon 21, 2009 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Mon 21, 2009 2:38 am 

I have a radio that is almost identical except that it is FM AM SW and LW. The Model is SR-J802FL. The radio does receive well but mine has a scratchy volume control that I can't seem to fix.

I was also impressed with it when I turned it on for the first time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Mon 21, 2009 6:23 am 

Darn you guys! Now I might have to add on to my collection. :)

John S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 23, 2009 8:29 am 

Wow, I can't believe you got this for a measly $5. There's one on eBay right now, and the seller wants $44 for it (plus $13 shipping)!

Aaron

Post subject: Re: Standard SR-J808FA is Awesome Radio!
PostPosted: Nov Tue 04, 2014 6:31 pm 

anyone know what type rechargeables these were set up with?
cant find a manual.
the jack has a resistor in series.i eliminated that.
i added a diode for reverse protection and to isolate the small solar panel i use to keep its nicads charged.
its an impressive radio for free.even has good c nicads in it that while being 25+ years old still do close to their spec.
looks like someone left batteries to rot in this one though.it cleaned up ok.or maybe someone recharged regular batteries and hastened the enevitable leakage?
oh and the modern 3/32nds? plugs are too long for the jack.push till you just feel the detent and its charging.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 06, 2014 5:57 am 

Standard was a class act. I have the radio shown in the second picture now, and I had another one just like it as a kid. Very high quality construction and workmanship.

I think they wound up becoming an OEM manufacturer for house-brand radios. I believe I read somewhere that at least one model of the radio shack DX-1xx shortwave receivers was made by them.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 09, 2014 7:04 pm 

yes they did oem lots of stuff.
but i still run into standard stuff thats untraceable online.
no info.
a friend just got a standard stereo reciever at a yardsale.
nothing out there about it anywhere.old enough it uses germanium output transistors.
i have a 2m/70cm mobile rig thats undocumented.it was easy to fix up and works good.
good thing the tone board was in it as it too is undocumented/extinct.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 11:38 pm 

Canerod ... Another great feature about that SR-J808FA radio, if you haven't already discovered it is that one the jacks on the left side can be used as a line-in/aux for modern MP3 players. There are three 3.5mm jacks on left side, the bottom was originally meant as a line-in for a portable record turntable back in the 60's. It now serves the great modern purpose as a portable speaker jack for MP3 players/Phones. Simply use a cord with a 3.5mm mono plug on one end into radio, then a 3.5mm stero plug into phone or MP3 player.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 3:32 pm 

Well...yes had two of these.Sold them both..to same buyer.Regrettable ...Performance was indeed super.....I was intrigued by the tuning dial construction..inside the shaft/dial assembly was a rubber ring set that gave a little "plush" cush to the initial turning of the tuning dial.I read somewhere while researching Standard..that Marantz and the company name that preceded it , used a Standard plant for some of their products for a time.Somewhere Superscope bought into the name.No cheap assembly here.,

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2017 12:58 pm 

Hello,
I have a SR-J808FA with broken antennas, can anyone help me locate replacements ? Thanks.