Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 12, 2018 5:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Panasonic RF-2200 project...
PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 3:55 am 

Very cool there John! I never had a 2200, but I had a 2800 and a 3100 that I still have. Bought it new. I fired it up a couple of months ago and while all the controls seem to work fine with no scratchiness, it has a lot more "birdies" than I remember. Maybe I'll get around to figuring it out before I pass on to the great beyond!

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 2:24 pm 

Hi John,

Great find, it looks like its in pretty good condition. My father purchased one new many years ago and used it so much he worn out the tuning cap. I tried readjusting the plates and the bearing tension but was unsuccessful in stopping the plates from shorting out in certain areas. Let me know if see any junker RF-2200 for sale.

Good luck with your project.

Frank

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 2:54 pm 

Matt, that is a good looking radio. How does it compare with the 2200, feature-wise?

PostPosted: Feb Tue 13, 2018 12:22 am 

Feature-wise they're pretty much the same. The RF-3100 has a DRO and breaks SW down into 29 distinct 1 MHz band segments extending from 1 to 30 MHz. But the RF-2200 has a rotatable MW antenna which helps a lot when chasing MW DX or for just listening to MW for that matter.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 13, 2018 2:24 am 

The Digital ReadOut on the 3100 is a great convenience. Shotwave performance is much better with my 3100 than with my 2200, FM performance is nearly equal but the AM band, while adequate, is not nearly as good as it is on my 2200. The RF-3100 has a completely different "feel" to it compared with the 2200. I like both radios.

Dave

PostPosted: Feb Tue 13, 2018 2:30 am 

Hey Matt---have you looked on-line to see if anyone has compared the 3100 with the 2200 for BCB performance ? (Just noticed that Dave posted as I was ready to submit---he answered the question !)

Frank---did you try to clean between plates with a very thin piece of stiff, thin plastic ? As close as they are, it wouldn't take much to cause a short...

Have noticed after listening and tuning across BCB that this set doesn't seem quite as sensitive as it was prior to disassembly and the sound is "muddier"---sure hope I didn't cause damage blowing it out with compressed air after cleaning ! Not too happy considering that possibility...

John

PostPosted: Feb Tue 13, 2018 4:15 am 

Hi John,

Your right, the gap between the capacitor plates are extremely small which really makes it much harder to repair..

I hope that you find out why its not working as well as it was before being disassembled.

Frank

PostPosted: Feb Wed 14, 2018 3:46 am 

Hello John,

This thread revived my interest in my 3100. As it turned out the "birdies" I was hearing were due to my Bose wireless Bluetooth speaker in close proximity to it. The Bose was turned off and on battery power, but apparently the circuitry was still live. WTH is it doing while it's turned off and on battery power?

I agree with Dave's overall consensus. I never considered it to be a serious contender on MW due to it's large footprint and fixed ferrite antenna. Rotating the thing around to receive a signal is totally impractical. However it is still very good for SW reception! 36 years old and the thing is right-on frequency-wise on every band and extremely stable during SSB reception!

PostPosted: Feb Wed 14, 2018 6:28 am 

Matt Kroll wrote:
Very cool there John! I never had a 2200, but I had a 2800 and a 3100 that I still have. Bought it new. I fired it up a couple of months ago and while all the controls seem to work fine with no scratchiness, it has a lot more "birdies" than I remember. Maybe I'll get around to figuring it out before I pass on to the great beyond!

If the voltage reg caps go dry, the thing might oscillate a mighty signal, with birds abounding.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 15, 2018 2:26 pm 

Matt Kroll wrote:
Hello John,

This thread revived my interest in my 3100. As it turned out the "birdies" I was hearing were due to my Bose wireless Bluetooth speaker in close proximity to it. The Bose was turned off and on battery power, but apparently the circuitry was still live. WTH is it doing while it's turned off and on battery power?

I agree with Dave's overall consensus. I never considered it to be a serious contender on MW due to it's large footprint and fixed ferrite antenna. Rotating the thing around to receive a signal is totally impractical. However it is still very good for SW reception! 36 years old and the thing is right-on frequency-wise on every band and extremely stable during SSB reception!

Maybe the Bose is still on because it has to be engaged to activate?

RE: Panasonic: could you put it on a lazy susan, and turn it that way?
Or, use an external loop, and just place the loop near the radio, and turn the loop, while the radio remains stationary. That works with my Superadios.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 16, 2018 8:08 am 

Very cool! I have an RF-2200, which was given to me by a relative, who apparently found it at the local dump! :o It powers up and works fine on FM, but seems to be dead on MW and SW. I opened it up and cleaned the switches as best as I could, but it didn't help. Hopefully, it's something relatively simple.

I also have an RF-4900, which is like a really big brother to the RF-2200. Like the RF-3100, it employs digital tuning (well, more like a frequency counter for the analog tuning section, but it definitely helps). It's built like a tank, and works great. Here's a picture:
-Adam

http://www.electronixandmore.com/adam/index.html

PostPosted: Feb Fri 16, 2018 2:45 pm 

Adam, that is a good looking radio!

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 6:12 am 

Yes---that's a great looking rig !

Panasonic sure has put out a lot of great products through the years !

John

PostPosted: Mar Thu 01, 2018 12:52 am 

Hello All,

Checked alignment this past weekend on just the 455 kHz IF stages since AM BCB only uses single conversion---all but the 5th IFT were fine as they were and only noticed slight improvement in performance after adjusting it around a quarter-turn. The trimmer for the AM BCB Gyro-antenna was also very near peak as it was... After discovering that the series cap and resistor used in "wide bandwidth" circuit were okay, played with additional series resistance and capacitance to see if I could get a bit better high-frequency AM BCB audio response---found that a .01 uF made a very small, but noticeable improvement... As mentioned earlier, there are several electrolytic caps which are "physically" leaky and have corroded leads from the electrolyte, so will wait until these are replaced before doing any further investigation...

A couple questions for other RF-2200 owners:

Is it normal for the signal meter indication to rapidly fluctuate until signal tuned in---and when even a weak signal is received, for it to go all the way to zero ? Owner's manual says that the leftward movement is dependent on signal strength, so you'd think that a weak one wouldn't cause this...

Is the tuning dial/mechanism cover removable with it still installed on chassis ? Manual isn't clear as it includes removal as part of disassembly procedure... It seems that it will come off by simply following instructions in excerpt shown below, but don't want to risk any damage...

Realized I didn't post a pic with the freshly cleaned carrying strap installed, so adding it below...

John

Attachments:
2200 tuning unit cover remove fig.JPG
2200 tuning unit cover remove fig.JPG [ 74.8 KiB | Viewed 1182 times ]
2200 tuning unit cover remove txt.JPG
2200 tuning unit cover remove txt.JPG [ 29.49 KiB | Viewed 1182 times ]
ARF 2200 FRT W-STRAP.jpg
ARF 2200 FRT W-STRAP.jpg [ 199.79 KiB | Viewed 1182 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Sat 31, 2018 2:27 am 

Hello All,

Last week pulled covers again to replace all the physically leaky electrolytics that were accessible with PCB in place---then took them to work to test on LCR meter. They had lost between 20-25 percent of their capacity, but still appeared good otherwise. So won't worry about the remainder for the time being as I sure don't want to pull the PCB ! And audio does seem to sound a bit better now on AM...

While apart, found that the tuning dial cover easily snapped off, so went in to replace what I thought was a damaged bandspread dial with part sent to me by a kind ARF member. Turns out that original dial was fine, but tuning shaft is actually bent slightly causing the "wobble" (and now I finally notice it in the tuning knob) ! Arghhh ! This caused the plastic retainer for wave washer at base of shaft to crack in multiple places, so removed and found a very thin brass washer of proper I.D. & O.D. to fit behind and support it so it wouldn't break. Had to sand down the backside of plastic to lay flat on brass washer and to reduce its thickness slightly so that tension was proper on dial. Tuning fine, but bandspread dial still drags slightly at a "high point" due to bent shaft which causes slight slippage... The dial calibration was near perfect prior to my "invasion" of tuning mechanism and now is about 10 kHz off on AM BCB. Double Arggghh ! So another internal "visit" is necessary---eventually...

John

PostPosted: Mar Sat 31, 2018 9:27 pm 

"Tuning meter not working on FM"

Don't sweat too much on this issue - I have a couple of radios, not Panasonics, that have this "problem". Searching through the schematic showed that this is deliberate. When you think about it, signal for VHF FM is either there or it's not - there's a limiter circuit in there that has very high gain to clip any amplitude variations such as noise, so the signal strength meter would have been pegged full scale on the smallest of useable signals - the frequency deviation is the same whether it's a weak or strong signal.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 31, 2018 10:21 pm 

I agree with Martin about the tuning meter on FM. When no signal is tuned in, the fluctuating meter is responding to noise which you probably will hear as "hiss". The meter is useable only with the weakest of FM signals but it is a help in getting the best antenna orientation for those stations. The meters on most Panasonics in the Command Series (RF-2200, 2600, 4900, etc.) seem to respond in this manner.

Attachment:
Panasonic Command Series.JPG
Panasonic Command Series.JPG [ 69.61 KiB | Viewed 1010 times ]

Dave

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 12:43 am 

Thanks Guys !

Guess it actually does do something when a "no signal" spot is found !

In my location on the N. side of Indy, I pick up stations with just about every movement of dial all across band---even with antenna retracted ! Did notice a couple areas if I tune slow where there are no signals and meter did indicate...

And man, is the sound quality excellent with this radio on FM !

John

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 38 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page Previous  1, 2