Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sat 22, 2018 4:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A radio or ???
PostPosted: Feb Fri 16, 2018 2:43 am 

I was reminded about a 'radio' that was featured on an album from my youth - a Sony TR-63 look-alike.

Attachment:
radio-musicola cover crop.jpg
radio-musicola cover crop.jpg [ 120.83 KiB | Viewed 560 times ]

With the metal bottom on it, I have to wonder if it was some other type of novelty item - a cigarette case or something along those lines.
Has anyone ever seen something like this? It appears to be thinner than a TR63, and in these shots from a video, the tuning knob looks as if it is sitting higher, obscuring the marker at the top if it is indeed there. The ones in the video also do not have the title on the tuning knob, and two are shown, so I expect it is more than a single 'prop'. Would be a big project to produce for so small a use. If any were made as promotional items, I have not seen any mention of them.

Attachment:
Screenshot-2018-2-15 Nik kershaw- Radio musicola Official musicvideo - YouTube.png
Screenshot-2018-2-15 Nik kershaw- Radio musicola Official musicvideo - YouTube.png [ 127.54 KiB | Viewed 560 times ]

Attachment:
Screenshot-2018-2-15 Nik kershaw- Radio musicola Official musicvideo - YouTube(1).png
Screenshot-2018-2-15 Nik kershaw- Radio musicola Official musicvideo - YouTube(1).png [ 188.68 KiB | Viewed 560 times ]

Post subject: Re: A radio or ???
PostPosted: Feb Fri 16, 2018 4:44 pm 

You had a Nik Kershaw album... :shock:

Greg.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 16, 2018 5:36 pm 

Radiotech_7 - It appears that someone took the basic design of the Sony TR-63 and made a prop for the album cover as the Sony TR-63 volume dial doesn't have the letters "VOL" but the word "OFF." The detail on the tuning dial is nice, although it appears to be wider than the one on the TR-63 and not beveled. There is no earphone jack on the top of the left side of the radio, although someone added an antenna on the right side of the "prop" radio. I wonder why it is relatively rare to find Sony TR-63s for sale as they were made in significant quantities. - Mark

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 4:45 am 

Thanks Greg... :oops: :oops: :oops:
I'm not gonna try to justify what I was listening to 30+ years ago - not the only style of music I listened to.

Joe

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 5:35 pm 

Joe - In 1969, the Grammy Song of the Year was "Little Green Apples" by Bobby Russell, beating out "Hey Jude," so taste in music does change over the years! - Mark