Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 25, 2018 7:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Super Radio II
PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 9:22 pm 

Long Story Short, I need Repairs on it

Power Switch
Re-Stringing
AM Alinement

I don't have too much $$$ to spend on it

I'm not really Good at poking around stuff

I tried to do the AM Alinement my self, For reason I forgot I damaged the Power Switch

Post subject: Re: Super Radio II
PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 5:02 am 

I would suggest just buying another one. Less expensive than shipping back and forth, and paying for repair work.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 4:14 pm 

If you don't hold the on/off switch down when removing the back you will break the switch every time. Buy another one at a estate sale or flea market, $10.00. I have 4 of them here all bought at estate sales

PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 7:18 pm 

If you were able to save the springs and contact shoes that fell out of the power switch, they can be reassembled. This switch, the mast antenna and a missing battery cover are probably the most common casualties of these radios.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 9:50 pm 

A new power switch can be wired. I broke the one on a Superadio III and wired a toggle switch which I mounted on the back of the radio. Drilled a small hole, fit the toggle switch through it, added a little tiny bit of glue to hold it in place. Worked well. All I had to do was move the wires and solder them to the toggle switch. It doesn't look as pretty as the one that came with the radio, but it works.

No idea about alignment or rewinding the dial string. There's a Superadio website that may have some information that could help:

earmark.net/gesr/

The guy there has fixed Superadio III's that had tuning issues, maybe he'd consider fixing your SR2. You never know.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 01, 2018 12:03 am 

The instructions for restringing the dial cord can be found on "The GE Superadio Tech Page"--at the bottom of the page there is a link to the manual which includes a diagram of the process.

I had to restring my Superadio because the previous owner had restrung the dial, but instead of mounting the spring inside the tuning drum, they had used it to fasten the ends of the dial cord together under the tuning dial itself. Eventually the spring wandered to the low end of the dial and it was impossible to tune across the whole band.

Instead of buying 'official' dial restringing line, I bought a small roll of Orvis Dacron Fly Line Backing, 20 lb Test. It worked out perfectly. The only problem I had was at step 11--the four turns around the shaft have to go from bottom to top.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 7:16 am 

If I ever find another one at Goodwill or the Thrift Shop

PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 5:21 am 

Hi MarioMania,
The issues you describe with your Super Radio II are easily repaired, provided it is otherwise in good condition. The GE Super Radio II is one of the best solid-state AM/FM portable receivers ever built, at least in my opinion.

I myself, and perhaps several others here in the ARF, could fix your radio at a reasonable cost. But the problem is that with the current high costs of postage, shipping your radio both ways, plus minimal cost of repairs, could easily exceed the value of the radio.

You do not mention where you are located. Perhaps someone in our area could do this for you, thus avoiding shipping costs?
Post your location, and perhaps we could refer you to someone locally?

PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 7:25 pm 

If you don't have much $$$, the repairs would be way more then its worth. Forget about it for now. Watch EBay for the right deal, As I said before I find them for $10.00, they show up at estate sales for cheap, Flea markets, low grade auctions.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 8:26 pm 

^ Best answer if you can't repair it yourself, and basically what I posted right after your OP.

Funny thing is, I had the same issues AFA the dial string and the power switch. I had it apart, I think it was to coordinate the dial pointer to get it more exact, and the wife had come into the room to tell me something, and the razor knife in my hand slipped and cut the damn dial cord! Boy was I pissed, but I repaired it with crazy glue, and it's held just fine. I think that was a good 12 years ago or so.

Now AFA the switch, I too managed to bust mine, but in my spare parts, I had a rocker switch that pretty well fit, albeit with some shaving of the opening. Crazy-glued that in place after connecting the wiring, and it was fine.

So you CAN fix it yourself, and if you want to try, we can advise on a rudimentary alignment procedure, since I presume you don't own a signal generator.

____________________________________________Image

PostPosted: Apr Thu 26, 2018 10:41 pm 

I just hunt again see if I get lucky at the thrift stores or the goodwills

Thanks anyways

PostPosted: May Thu 03, 2018 2:02 am 

One for sale here:

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/52232834

PostPosted: May Sat 05, 2018 2:22 am 

I have an extra switch I can spare, for postage and a padded mailer -- PM me...