Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Fri 24, 2017 10:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Removing Toggle Switch Fasteners
PostPosted: Mar Tue 14, 2017 7:25 pm 

I'm about to enter the world of cabinet and front panel "restoration". Going to attempt this with an SX-71 that has been recapped, resistors replace and awaiting alignment. The front panel while passable is worn and would be a good candidate. My primary question is what tool is used to remove the knurled fasteners for the toggle switches?

Thanks...Harry

Post subject: Re: Removing Toggle Switch Fasteners
PostPosted: Mar Tue 14, 2017 7:56 pm 

This is what I use.

Attachments:
tool.JPG
tool.JPG [ 36.85 KiB | Viewed 370 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Tue 14, 2017 8:04 pm 

Harry,

Google "knurled nut wrench" and you will find some possibilities. GC electronics makes separate ones for 1/2 and 5/8 inch nuts but they are rather pricey. There is a lower cost adjustable one aimed at the guitar folks but I don't know how well it works or what it fits; you can probably find it on Amazon or Ebay.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Mar Tue 14, 2017 11:05 pm 

If the toggle switch has a long threaded portion and there is a nut on the inside of the chassis it is sometimes better to use a long tool to loosen the inside nut, then remove the knurled nut. I normally just use a long flat blade screwdriver and tap one side of the nut til it's loose.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 14, 2017 11:37 pm 

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Harry

PostPosted: Mar Sat 18, 2017 6:46 pm 

I bought the guitar tool. It does not adjust down to knurled nut size on my Hallicrafters SX-146. So the hunt continues.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 20, 2017 1:29 am 

The adjustable knurled nut wrench pictured above looks like a good choice but in reality they usually don't fit correctly. The reason is there never was standard for decorative nuts in splines per inch counts and the result is spline counts and spacing varies a lot. If you happen to have a nut where the splines in the wrench engage the nut you will be in business but I've never encounted one. What generally happens is you think the wrench fits but its splines are actually riding on top rather then meshing. If you don't mind the wrench slipping and damaging the nut then it will work for you. This probably only matters in the case of special nickel plated nuts as found on National receivers where replacements are not available except from another receiver.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 20, 2017 4:47 am 

I bought one of those pictured by N2 and it does work well; should have bought one long ago. I agree that not all knurled nuts are created equal, but with care it should save my nuts (unless, of course, they are frozen).

PostPosted: Mar Mon 20, 2017 7:17 am 

Stay inside in the wintertime.

As for inside hex nuts, get a set of those "sheet metal" wrenches from a dollar store. They are thin enough for close spaces and you can easily bend them if you need an offset one.

RRM

PostPosted: Mar Mon 20, 2017 11:20 am 

I agree on the sheetmetal wrench if you have access to the backside of the jack or control. The GC tool pictured above is like using pliers, which will work also if you are careful. The GC tool is also expensive and crudely made, not a precision tool at all. A camera nut wrench is what works best. Looks like a nut cracker except with a round hole where the jaws would be. Squeeze the handle to grip the OD of the nut and turn.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 21, 2017 1:01 am 

I usually hold the nut with my fingers and twist the switch just enough to free it up. If I can't then turn the nut, I rotate the switch again and hold the nut in its new position while I rotate the switch back. This can be repeated. I also use a fairly large pair of angled needle nose pliers and very carefully hold the nut and turn it or the switch. I never replace the nut more than finger tight.

Norm