Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Sat 19, 2017 4:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hammarlund HQ 145X
PostPosted: Aug Sun 13, 2017 3:11 am 

I cleaned up and aligned the Hammarlund HQ 145X on Friday. It is a good looking radio, double conversion on the higher bands, with a filter, phasing, and a notch. It does not have a product detector and my unit had a weak BFO. When I turned the switch to CW SSB, there was a brief squeal, then nothing. I ended up replacing the resistors and upping the plate voltage 10 volts, by using a 39K instead of a 47K. This helped, I got my squeal back and was able to receive SSB by turning the RF gain down a little. All in all, I was not impressed with the radio. It seemed to have pretty high noise and was not as sensitive as I expected--but it works. It certainly looks good, but then looks isn't the same as good reception. There are three transformers that could have silver mica problems--fortunately these did not.

Norm

Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 83.32 KiB | Viewed 302 times ]
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 200.29 KiB | Viewed 302 times ]
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 109.38 KiB | Viewed 302 times ]

Post subject: Re: Hammarlund HQ 145X
PostPosted: Aug Sun 13, 2017 5:07 am 

Well done Norm, its a real nice looker. Sorry to hear you're disappointed with the performance. Does the radio meet the specs?

Mike

PostPosted: Aug Sun 13, 2017 5:08 am 

Nice looking receiver.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 13, 2017 3:24 pm 

Nice radio, Norm.... I also owned one, but I had to thin the herd. Unfortunately mine suffered for silver migration, which destroyed one of the dual IF cans! What a mess to deal with.

I don't recall it being a bad player, but it wasn't good enough to be a keeper. I like my HQ-150A.

Pete

PostPosted: Aug Sun 13, 2017 7:20 pm 

I am tempted to give it another round of alignment attention. eHam.net speaks glowingly of the receiver. I have found that some radios work really well and some don't. Whether it is just aging of components, designs that suffer when components age, or the fact that the reason the radio was up for sale was that it was not performing. Collins radios seem to work well after many years and it is not specific to a particular radio. Some of my radios I have brought back from the very edge, and those don't recover their earlier glory easily. Some radios have fewer tubes, are single conversion, and yet they surprise me with how sensitive they are and how they perform. I have an HQ 140XA that I use as my regular general coverage receiver. What a radio! When I want to compare radios, I tune in a certain, hard-to-get station and see if the new radio will meet the performance of the HQ 140XA. Then I have a better apples-to-apples comparison than trying to see whether it meets the same performance as my Kenwood TS 830S or another more modern radio.

Norm

PostPosted: Aug Sun 13, 2017 9:27 pm 

I would take it off your hands if we didn't live coast to coast!

Marc

PostPosted: Aug Mon 14, 2017 3:29 am 

I am tempted to send it to you. Now that I have been through it and no longer find it interesting--what do I do with it? I am running out of shelf space. It seems I only want radios that don't work. Actually, this one needs another round on the bench until I see if an alignment with a 455 KHz sweep generator will improve the performance. Now I just need to find a good sweep generator. I may even have one.

Norm

PostPosted: Aug Mon 14, 2017 11:49 am 

HI NORM:

I OWN 3 UNITS BUT HAVE YET TO TRY THEM.ONE HAS BEEN RESTORED BY THE FORMER OWNER.

I LIKE TO WORK ON THESE HAMARLUND RADIOS.THE UNDERNEATH CHASSIS IS NOT CLUTTERED.

AS FOR ALIGNMENT WITH A SWEEP GENERATOR I WOULD ONLY DO THAT IF IT WAS GOING TO BE USED FOR GENERAL COVERAGE.FOR HAM BAND USE IT WOULD LOSE SOME SENSITIVITY.

THE CLOCKS STOP WORKING AFTER A PERIOD OF NON USE DUE TO THICK EINNG OF THE MOTOR GEARS GREASE.
THIS IS EASILY FIXED BY REMOVEING THE MOTOR AND CAREFULLY DRILLING A 1/16" HOLE IN THE SEALED MOTOR BEING CAREFUL TO ONLY PENATRATE THE HOUSING.NEXT I SPRAY IN A GENEROUS AMOUNT OF WD-40.LET IT SET OVERNIGHT AND THEN APPLY POWER.IT WILL USUALLY START OFF SLOW BUT JUST LET IT RUN UNILL IT IS NORMAL.REMOVE ANY EXCESS WD-40. AND THEN PUT A SOLDER BLOB OVER THE HOLE SCRAPEING CLEAN WITH A FILE BEFORE SOLDERING.

THE ANTENNA INPUT IMPEDANCE IS VARIABLE FROM 50-600 OHMS USEING THE FRONT PANEL TRIMMER.ON A LOT OF THE COMMUNCATIONS RADIOS OF THAT ERA I ALWAYS TRY A A BALUN WHEN USEING CO-AX TO SEE WETHER WITH OR WITH OUT GIVES ME THE BEST SENSITIVITY.I TRY THE BALUN CONNECTED TO THE 2 A TERMINALS AND ALSO ONE A TERMINAL AND THE OTHER CHASSIS GROUNDED.ALS NO BALUN .YOU HAVE TO EXPEREMENT.
THE S METER IS A BIG HELP.

WALTER-W2WIQ

PostPosted: Aug Mon 14, 2017 4:36 pm 

Walt

On that set I think the input impedance is pretty much determined by the winding ratios on the antenna coils.

They didn't provide high end trimmer caps on the antenna coils, and the antenna trimmer simply peaks for resonance for any dial setting.

Pete

PostPosted: Aug Mon 14, 2017 5:15 pm 

Norm Johnson wrote:
was able to receive SSB by turning the RF gain down a little.
You definitely have to back off on the RF gain to receive SSB. That is correct for a radio that has no AVC action when the BFO is turned ON (the AVC line is grounded and the gain runs wide open).

It is possible to have an AVC with most of the Hammarlund receivers if you want one but it requires some changes. I did it with an HQ-129X and used is as a daily driver on SSB for years. I worked a lot of countries with that receiver on all bands.

Part of the trick is setting the CW Pitch (BFO offset frequency), crystal filter and phasing adjusted appropriately to minimize reception of the opposite sideband and restricting the passband to about 3 KHz.

When you get the settings adjusted optimally this is often referred to as single signal reception. That is, as you tune past a carrier you will hear the pitch fall to Zero then as you go on by you hear virtually nothing on the other side of zero beat. If it is not right you hear the beat frequency on both sides of Zero Beat (the carrier frequency). Getting the settings correct has a lot of bearing on the perceived sensitivity because it cuts down on the received noise.

Modern receivers do all of this stuff for you (proper placement of the BFO frequency, proper placement of the IF filter response, even notching).

When they got to the HQ-160 they actually had a product detector and the AVC was already pretty much available, but they still grounded it for some odd reason. That can be undone and restore AVC operation on SSB for that radio as well (cut two connections, add some connections, and add a resistor and capacitor).

http://curtiseickerman.weebly.com/technical.html

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Aug Tue 15, 2017 2:22 am 

Norm Johnson wrote:
I am tempted to send it to you. Now that I have been through it and no longer find it interesting--what do I do with it? I am running out of shelf space. It seems I only want radios that don't work. Actually, this one needs another round on the bench until I see if an alignment with a 455 KHz sweep generator will improve the performance. Now I just need to find a good sweep generator. I may even have one.

Norm

LOL Norm, I have said that as well. Once they work, they are not as interesting.

I do like my hq 180 that I did a few years ago.

Thanks for posting your exploits, always fun to read.