Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Thu 20, 2018 3:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Using a Teletype Machine, RTTY Questions
PostPosted: Jun Mon 11, 2018 2:24 pm 

As a comic sidenote, our ham station in Baumholder had a BC-610. We were absolutely prohibited from
operating it on Thursday evenings between 8 and 9 PM! This was when Gunsmoke came on and the 610
wiped out TV reception in the housing area!

73, Roger

PostPosted: Jun Mon 11, 2018 3:25 pm 

I Jon,

WOW !
That shack looks super. The Model 15 will fit right in.

I see you have a nice sturdy desk to support the SX-28, as is appropriate.

73 es gud dx de W3NLB

PostPosted: Jun Mon 11, 2018 3:43 pm 

We had a model 11 and model 15 back in the 1970s. I think the model 15 is more Korea/Vietmam era vintage, we may have had a model 32 as well but my memory fails me. Ours were from the MARS program. These were mechanical marvels for sure, my uncle worked for Western Union and he helped my dad to get them working. Much more elegant than using a computer but the computer sure fits better in the shack! All the equipment you see in the picture is long gone, the teletype is a model 11, that TU ran 850 shift.
Attachment:
1971 Amateur Radio model 11 small.jpg
1971 Amateur Radio model 11 small.jpg [ 227.49 KiB | Viewed 250 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Tue 12, 2018 2:54 am 

Jon,

Congrats on the FINE station! I also have a BC-610-I: It's S/N 72, I think last ditch Hallicrafters manufacture. Nearly all of the tubes have 1952 dates on them.
To make a long story short, I bought the BC-610, -614, -939B, two coffin sized cases of accessories, the JB-70, the RA-62, the matching R-388 receiver and the receiver communications center in 1982 for ridiculously low money (the widow just wanted everything gone).
I have at least two of everything (coils, plug ins). Yes, I need to restore a few of them, but some look like they were built yesterday (sadly, the 160M coils are not in that good a condition!).
I fired up the '610 earlier this year and got exciter out of it, and am only rebuilding it due to the fact it's 66 years old, and I need to get some of the dust off it, and clean/lubricate switches!
I had the unit running back in New England and NC... Somewhere in the move, the box I made to loop the T/R relay through got lost, so I have to build another one before I can transmit again.
I will keep you in the loop, and probably post my restoration instructions.
I have already gone through the BC-614-I and replaced all the paper foils. I'm waffling on the electrolytics, but I may do so. I've been lucky enough to reform them so far.
Good Luck with the '28! I have something like 3 of them in the "to restore" queue, which means I'll probably never get to them (unless I get tired of R-390/390A's, SX-73's, SX42's).
Feel free to drop me a PM, and I can send you my narrative and pix so far. No video yet...
Thor will rise again, and return to the airwaves...

73, -Tom

PostPosted: Jun Wed 13, 2018 1:42 pm 

Thank you all for the station comments.

Bob, thanks for sharing an old station picture. Neat to see that Teletype.

Tom, thanks for sharing information on your BC-610-I. Serial number on my BC-610-I is #150, manufactured in 1951 by Hallicrafters, one of their last years making these transmitters. The 614-I speech amplifier is dated 1952 serial number #177, manufactured by the Video Corporation of America. Restoration of these devices with start late summer. Goal is to get the 610-I, speech amp, SX-28 on air for 40 and 80 meters. I have transmitter plug in coil units for 40,80,160 meter. A set of good condition tank coils still need to be secured.

Update on the Teletype machine: I have secured a deal on the Teletype model 15 and will be picking up the unit next Tuesday. I also secured a deal on a HAL ST-6000. Should be just about everything needed to get the Teletype operational again other than restoration of these devices. I will post pictures once picked up. Thank you all for the help thus far!

Jon

PostPosted: Jun Wed 13, 2018 4:29 pm 

Hello everybody.

I was just looking at this thread and I would like to add a little bit of info.
Jthorusen, The picture that you put into your post is of a model 14TD (tape distributor). It is used to read punched tape which has been previously prepared by a perforator.

I have a number of them here but have not used RTTY in anger for about 20 years. Bit sad really as I did enjoy the characteristic sound of a Model 15 or 19 in full flight.

Such a joy!

I still have a number of machines here but they will need some cleanup maintenance work to get them up and running again.

Jthorusen you are correct that it is a governed motor on the Model 14TD in your picture.

Here in Australia we have had to use the governed motor as the synchronous motor is no use to us. We have 50Hz power and the synchronous motors are the wrong speed.
I used to run my machines at 45.45 Baud which gives an overall speed of 60 words per minute.

There are a couple of good videos on utube.
Try this one:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bapH4IGJ7I

Couple of important things:-
When you get it up and running get into the habit of a sequence of key strokes CR (carriage return) CR, then LF (line feed) then LTRS (letters) LTRS. All put together they are :- CR, CR, LF, LTRS, LTRS.
The above is a good habit to get into whenever starting a message or ending one. If you don't you run the risk of a whole lot of overtyping and other crap you just don't need.

Secondly, Most people these days use computer based RTTY which means that they just keep typing with no thought to using carriage return or line feed instructions. Their computer just does line wrap with no contribution from the typist.
With our older machines we must have the 3 commands given in my previous paragraph otherwise the type basket will just stay at the right hand end of the platten and you will miss the whole message except for the first line.

Hope I haven't confused you!
This sort of information is only needed when you get the machine up and running. I am giving it now as I have to go into hospital next month for some pretty serious stuff so I may not be around to give this sort of stuff later.

Cheers and good luck with your printer. It looks in good nick so shouldn't be too hard to get it going.

Wise advice earlier. Understand what you are about to do BEFORE you do it as there are a lot of tricky adjustments on a machine like this.
Been there, done that! Don't ask how I know it!!

Cheers all, Robert.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 13, 2018 5:28 pm 

ketron281989 wrote:
Thank you all for the station comments.

Bob, thanks for sharing an old station picture. Neat to see that Teletype.

Tom, thanks for sharing information on your BC-610-I. Serial number on my BC-610-I is #150, manufactured in 1951 by Hallicrafters, one of their last years making these transmitters. The 614-I speech amplifier is dated 1952 serial number #177, manufactured by the Video Corporation of America. Restoration of these devices with start late summer. Goal is to get the 610-I, speech amp, SX-28 on air for 40 and 80 meters. I have transmitter plug in coil units for 40,80,160 meter. A set of good condition tank coils still need to be secured.

Update on the Teletype machine: I have secured a deal on the Teletype model 15 and will be picking up the unit next Tuesday. I also secured a deal on a HAL ST-6000. Should be just about everything needed to get the Teletype operational again other than restoration of these devices. I will post pictures once picked up. Thank you all for the help thus far!

Jon

I believe the Teletype in my picture was actually a Model 101 or 103 my memory fails me on the exact number. I was only 14 when that picture was taken and a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 13, 2018 7:17 pm 

Jon,

FB on your BC-610! I'll check my stock of coils... They rise to the surface once in a while, I'm working to corral all of them in one place.
When you say transmitter coils, I'm assuming you mean the oscillator
doubler plugs ins, and that you are looking for the actual transmitter tank coils.
BTW: If you take apart (open) the TU-xxx series plugs ins, they clean easy, but make doggone sure you space the knobs at least 1/16" off the chassis, as the last one in the chain has full B+ on it, and if you put the knob on flush or close to it, you'll short the hot shaft you the chassis and if you're lucky, you'll only blow a fuse. Don't ask me how I know this!
Also, I did a modification to one of the 75M tuning unit: I broke off about 2/3 of the plates on the tuning cap, which gives me a much narrower frequency tuning range, but much better control over netting the transmitter on channel. IIRC, I set it to have a low end frequency somewhere in the voice portion of the 75M ham band.
My 614 I think is also Hallicrafters... I'll double check..

PostPosted: Jun Wed 13, 2018 9:05 pm 

Robert, thanks for the insight! Greatly appreciated. I will study the machine before disassembly and servicing. I wish you well on your procedures in the hospital. Hope all turns out well for you and a speedy recovery.

Thanks,

Jon

PostPosted: Jun Wed 13, 2018 9:10 pm 

Tom,

Yes just looking for the transmitter tank coils. I have two that are deteriorated and will need re-building. I did get my lingo wrong. Thank you for the correction. Thank you for the life saving advice. The BC-610 can be lethal if I screw up. I plan on fully understanding the transmitter and all operations before the first power-up. The safety interlocks were bypassed or disconnected long ago, I HAVE TO RESTORE THEM TO WORKING ORDER. Thanks for sharing your modification. On top of RTTY communication I look forward to AM and CW operation on the BC-610.

Thanks,

Jon

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 30 posts ]  Moderator: Sandy Go to page Previous  1, 2