Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 17, 2018 6:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hammarlund HQ-120-X
PostPosted: Mar Wed 21, 2018 3:40 am 

Yes, ditto to Joe's comment.

I've had an HQ-120 that has always been my favorite. It is just rock solid and reliable. I had a Halli SX-100 which I found very difficult to live with due to its frail design. It was an easy decision as to which one would stay when it was time to thin the herd.

Have fun, Tim

PostPosted: Mar Wed 28, 2018 1:10 pm 

Thanks for the encouragement, Joe and Tim!
Now it’s onto the alignment. I have never done an alignment using the “visual” method, but am going to learn. I will be building protection devices for the spectrum analyzer and tracking generator as outlined by Paul Carlson. This radio is grossly out of alignment and receives very poorly. This will be a great learning experience for me and something I have been wanting to learn for quite a while. I think I know what I want to do, here, so we will see how it goes. One thing for sure, I can’t make it any worse than it is now!

PostPosted: Mar Wed 28, 2018 1:43 pm 

Chris, even if it's out of alignment, an HQ-120 should still be a decent performer. Here's my personal checklist of things that are easy to overlook (and that I have overlooked in the past) that can affect performance:

1. Are you using a good antenna? A good ground?

2. Do you have a link between the second antenna terminal and ground?

3. Is the speaker the proper impedance?

4. Are the proper tubes installed? Don't laugh. In the past, some owners replaced a bad tube with what they had on hand.

5. Do the tubes all test well?

6. Are the voltages all good?

7. Are the controls all set properly?

I don't mean to insult you with this basic stuff, but it's stuff I have overlooked in the past. The more I work on these old sets, the more I realize how easy it is to overlook the basic things.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 7:17 pm 

Hi Joe,
No offense taken, at all. I have asked myself these same questions. I have configured this HQ-120-X the same as my HQ-140-X; regarding speaker, antenna and control settings. I just replaced a weak RF amp Tube, which did improve the performance a little. I am still waiting on the new dials from Radio Daze, so the dials have been removed. I have been tuning the main tuning cap directly, which can be pretty touchy.

The tube voltages on the RF, CONVERTER, and 1st, and 2nd IF tube plates are higher than expected; about 20% high. The 2nd grids and cathodes are pretty close to normal. I am not sure if this is significant or not. I am head scratching over this.

I am still looking. After all there is no rush, just taking it all in on the learning curve.

Thanks, Joe! :lol:

PostPosted: Apr Wed 04, 2018 11:07 am 

This is a wonderful video of an HQ-120 restoration. This guy does it right. But there's no way most people would have all his test equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J31nVC0ms0w

PostPosted: Apr Wed 04, 2018 1:06 pm 

Adowns, thanks. I have watched this video, several times. It has been a great source of information. Paul is very detailed and produces great videos.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 06, 2018 3:55 pm 

adowns wrote:
This is a wonderful video of an HQ-120 restoration. This guy does it right. But there's no way most people would have all his test equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J31nVC0ms0w

I love Mr. Carlson’s videos, but no one needs all of his test equipment to restore and align an old receiver. :shock: You can get by with a DVM, signal generator, and a frequency counter. And for not much money.

Robert
KG4KGL

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 3:59 am 

Attachment:
57A395B4-CA46-426A-B9B4-D172F6BD3DC3.jpeg
57A395B4-CA46-426A-B9B4-D172F6BD3DC3.jpeg [ 116.12 KiB | Viewed 621 times ]
Attachment:
571CDCDF-3EC6-41FF-9DD6-889E3906DFB0.jpeg
571CDCDF-3EC6-41FF-9DD6-889E3906DFB0.jpeg [ 133.44 KiB | Viewed 621 times ]

My new dials finally arrived from Radio Daze. I used #2-56 X 1/8” binding head screws and small pattern nuts to attach the dials to the hubs. One hint to anyone which may be making the same replacement is to place the screw heads on the inside of the hub to clear the stop pins on the tuning capacitor. An extra shim washer was also required between the hub and capacitor bushing to get the required clearance over the screw heads.
Another issue I ran into was the new dial runs very close to the antenna compensator shaft. The dial, as punched, was slightly off center with the OD of the dial. This required a little fitting with the aid of some 220 sand paper to gain the necessary clearance. Perhaps this is the reason the dials that were on the receiver when I got it were so severely warped and broken. The dials had numbers printed on them corresponding with the numbers for the HQ-140X, so maybe they had been replaced before?

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 6:19 pm 

I have a quick question regarding the paint on the face plate for the HQ-120-X. What is the original paint on the dial bezels? My face plate is in excellent condition, with no scratches and very little signs of wear, but the paint on the dial bezels is in poor condition. It looks like they were gloss black, but it also looks like they could have been repainted at some point. The rest of the case is black crinkle and in good condition. For what ever reason I am thinking the dial bezels might have been black crinkle too. What should they be?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 7:39 pm 

I typically Google something like "Hammarlund HQ 120X images" to bring up a number of photos of the receiver on which I am working. It looks like black gloss for the dial bezels.

Norm

PostPosted: Apr Tue 17, 2018 3:20 am 

Thanks Norm. I had looked there, and while most of them looked glossy, some were hard to tell. I will go with gloss. Probably easier than the crinkle, anyway, but have done both.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 23, 2018 1:31 pm 

Hello all. I thought it was time for an update. I started this project in February and now I think I can call it done. It needed a complete rebuild of the power supply along with a recap. It had been badly hacked by a previous owner and was not in working condition. Both timing dials were badly warped, with one being broken. Those were replaced with repops from Radio Daze. The crystal filter was a mess, so was able to find another complete one.
I performed the IF alignment using a spectrum analyzer and tracking generator. Other than waiting on parts, this procedure took me the most time. I spent hours on the alignment in several sessions, before I was satisfied with the result. This part of the project was the most educational and fulfilling part of it all.
Other than cleaning and polishing the front face plate, meter, and knobs, I repainted the dial bezels several times before settling on flat black. I tried several different paint finishes, but nothing looked right.
I would like to thank this forum for the help and encouragement provided thru this project. It was fun and an education. Now I can clear the bench and move on to the next one.

Attachments:
C0BBDCD1-34D3-4A01-8D11-6E9969DF6C25.jpeg
C0BBDCD1-34D3-4A01-8D11-6E9969DF6C25.jpeg [ 120.81 KiB | Viewed 197 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Mon 05, 2018 10:15 pm 

I also recently restored a HQ-120x that I purchased from the grandson of the original owner who was a shipboard radio officer and used it to monitor the marine bands at home.. It had been in the same interior second floor closet of the family home for over 45 years. I replaced the electrolytics before powering it up and it played but not well. After a total recapping and replacing a very few resistors it came alive and alignment resulted in only a few very small adjustments. It is now my favorite receiver for Broadcast Band DX. The IF band pass is a little narrow for music but the beautiful tuning and calibration makes it a pleasure to use. There is a website that gives sophisticated test data for many older receivers and the HQ-120x shows as one of the best, especially for AM. '73. I hope to mate it with a Navy TCS transmitter for my AM station. '73

Real Radios Glow in the Dark

PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2018 9:20 pm 

N9whh wrote:
Hello all. I thought it was time for an update. I started this project in February and now I think I can call it done. It needed a complete rebuild of the power supply along with a recap. It had been badly hacked by a previous owner and was not in working condition. Both timing dials were badly warped, with one being broken. Those were replaced with repops from Radio Daze. The crystal filter was a mess, so was able to find another complete one.
I performed the IF alignment using a spectrum analyzer and tracking generator. Other than waiting on parts, this procedure took me the most time. I spent hours on the alignment in several sessions, before I was satisfied with the result. This part of the project was the most educational and fulfilling part of it all.
Other than cleaning and polishing the front face plate, meter, and knobs, I repainted the dial bezels several times before settling on flat black. I tried several different paint finishes, but nothing looked right.
I would like to thank this forum for the help and encouragement provided thru this project. It was fun and an education. Now I can clear the bench and move on to the next one.

Nice looking project. I use mine as a daily driver since getting back in radio, and haven't had a single issue since the rebuild I did on it 8 years ago now - except it's weight moving it up 3 flights of stairs to its present location, lol!

PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2018 9:30 pm 

N9whh wrote:
Thanks Norm. I had looked there, and while most of them looked glossy, some were hard to tell. I will go with gloss. Probably easier than the crinkle, anyway, but have done both.

Definitely a semi-gloss, not satin but not a mirror shine either.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 35 posts ]  Moderator: Sandy Go to page Previous  1, 2