Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Sat 23, 2014 12:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Yaesu FT-101E
PostPosted: Jul Sat 30, 2011 5:12 am 

I picked up some Ham gear today and would like to get some opinions on it's usefulness. I am not a Ham, so I won't be doing any transmitting.

The stuff is: Yaesu FT-101E SSB transceiver; Yaesu Landliner; YC-601 Digital Display; FV-101B (VFO?); and the speaker that goes with it. The seller said he probably has the mic and manuals, but it's in his shed--fortunately, he lives 2 doors up from me.

OK, what's a Landliner?

The transceiver does receive, and no smoke comes out of it, so that's a plus.

Post subject: Re: Yaesu FT-101E
PostPosted: Jul Sat 30, 2011 6:09 am 

This is a nice system. I used an FT-101B for many years and found it to be a solid and reliable ham radio transceiver. With the Remote VFO you can jump back and forth with little effort between two frequencies. I operate Morse code and SSB and it was nice to have one VFO in the high part of the band and the other down in the CW portion. The Landliner hooks up to a telephone line and allow "Phone Patches" to be run. You can patch the telephone and the radio transmitter/receiver together. Seldom used these days, hams used to run "patches" for servicemen overseas to their families back home.

Now you just need to study up at http://www.AA9PW.com/ or http://www.QRZ.com/ and practice on the online practice tests. You will be surprised how fast you will learn the material.

Good luck.

Jim, AL7FS

PostPosted: Jul Sat 30, 2011 5:58 pm 

Nice score, Johnny. That's one of the classic great transceivers. A bazillion of 'em were made, many ended up in the hands of CBers/freebanders who modified them to cover 27-28 Mhz.

Don't kick it to transmit unless it's on a dummy load AND you know how to tune it up, you can ruin the final tubes in a matter of seconds.

The Landliner is pretty much useless but it's neat to have a complete station with all the accessories available.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 30, 2011 6:28 pm 

I have an FT-101EX that I got as a backup radio. It is my third one of that series. I wish I kept the last one I sold in the 80s as it was in better shape and function than the current one. If you are worried about transmitting accidentally, just do not flip on the "heater/filiment" switch for the transmitting tubes. If you are wishing to resell them, perhaps you should make more effort to get ahold of the accessories and manuals that are missing now. Those add more value for sure. You can use it to SWL on hams or 10 Mhz WWV and any SW broadcasters nearby. But Yaesu made a somewhat identical general coverage SWL receiver called the FR-101, one version with analog tuning, and another with a green digital display. If you want a similiar SW receiver, you could trade someoone all that stuff for one of those. I have an FR-101 and matching speaker but it is also just a backup, I use it mainly with no antenna, and headphones, to monitor my transmit audio quality when making changes! http://www.foxtango.org used to have alot of info and downloadable manuals for that stuff, and I suspect they still do. Nice gear, holding it's value if the condition is fine. Just that the tx tubes are big money now. The landliner is a good sounding extension speaker regardless of the phone patch just for show. Lots of them on ebay to gather ideas of pricing but condition dictates alot of that.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 31, 2011 5:15 pm 

Super cool station! Get the Scope and amp and you'll have a complete table full of classic HF! HAHA! The Yaesu FT-101E has gone down in History as one of the classic rigs. They are solid built and do the job very nice. I find the 101 complicated to tune up compared to other rigs I have. They are holding thier value. As others have said the CBer's like them and there are many out there for sale that have been modded and or abused.

Todd

PostPosted: Aug Mon 01, 2011 4:25 am 

I've gone through most every piece and there doesn't seem to be any modifications. Seems to be all original too with the possible exception of the power cord. I picked up the microphone today; nice. Also picked up a load of other gear. I think more than half of it has very limited value (like VSWR meters) but some of it may be useful.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 02, 2011 1:43 am 

You know for years I was happy on ham radio with an FT-101 series radio. I think I could still be sufficiently satisfied with it, as long as I had installed an aftermarket 2.1 SSB filter and had a Shure 444 mic for it. And the thing was excellent and everything working correctly. Would get frustrated quickly if it had a bunch of issues. Maybe that is why the one I have now, is stored.