Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 5:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hallicrafters S-38C Schematic (Sams)
PostPosted: Sep Sat 14, 2013 3:15 pm 

Would like a copy of the Sams version. Hallicrafters S-38C, Run 2.
Got the Nostalgiaair (Riders) diagram and its not agreeing with the circuit.
Pretty sure the section I'm looking at was repaired in the past and they
used whatever values they had on hand. However, I'd like to double check.

Thanks,
~ Mitch ~

Post subject: Re: Hallicrafters S-38C Schematic (Sams)
PostPosted: Sep Sat 14, 2013 4:49 pm 

HI MITCH:

GO TO BAMA.THEY HAVE THE ORIGINAL.

WALTER-W2WIQ

PostPosted: Sep Sat 14, 2013 5:46 pm 

Thanks for the tip.

A fellow member emailed me the Sams... so I'm good.

~ Mitch ~

PostPosted: Sep Sat 14, 2013 6:39 pm 

HI MITCH:

YOU ARE WELCOME.

SAMS ARE GOOD BUT SOME TIMES THE ORIGINAL MAY HAVE SOME ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.

GOOD LUCK.

WALTER-W2WIQ

PostPosted: Sep Sun 15, 2013 11:47 am 

It could very well be that someone installed whatever values they had on hand or even tried hot-rodding it, but the factory often made running changes and substitutions also.
If a part value wasn't too critical (say ±20% or more), then a wider range of values could be used to keep production moving. Changes would generally be noted in a service bulletin to the authorized repair facilities, but not everyone would get the memo.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 15, 2013 5:20 pm 

The Hallicrafters manual and schematic for the S-38C found in BAMA happens to be for Run 2.

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/hallicra/s38c/

I would trust this more than I would a Sams schematic since I have sometimes found mistakes in them. The schematics in Sams are great to have if you can't find a schematic issued by the manufacturer. But Sams are often much easier to follow since they used a standard drawing technique. On the other hand, I have found mistakes in the manufacturers' schematics as well. So, I often wind up using both for reference. Over the years, I've learned to consider any schematic as a guide not necessarily cast in stone.

Dave

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 6:58 am 

Hi does anyone know a source for S-38C "RUN 1" manuals?.
Reason is that I have the Nostalgia Air Riders RUN 2 set and it doesn't agree with the S-38C set I have acquired.
My S-38C has the date Aug 28 1953 on the bottom of the chassis, so it is an early one of the model C.
The Run 2 schematic shows a single large capacitor C14 60-40-40 mfd 150v , 20 mfd 25v with 5 wires coming out of it , but this does not exist in my set.
Instead I have two large capacitors each marked 40 mfd Red 150v 20 mfd blue 150v common black. Each has a red, blue , black wire coming out.
They look original, they are the same color as the single large capacitor I see in the S-38C bottom chassis photo at the S-38 Guys website.
I assume they were the RUN 1 design?
The rest of the set seems to match up.
Anyone else encountered a similar setup or know a source for RUN 1 ?
I added a photo to this post
thanks
George1

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 7:12 am 

The S-38C photo was too large to upload - here it is again resized,.
George1

Attachments:
File comment: S-38C with 2 large multi caps instead of 1. possibly Run 1 ?
IMG_1857small3.jpg
IMG_1857small3.jpg [ 219.63 KiB | Viewed 282 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 9:15 am 

It is not going to help you much, but to confirm, I have a Run 2, it is so stamped on the back of the chassis where the serial number often is, and it does have the single large component containing four electrolytic capacitors that is pictured in the bottom view, Figure 6 in the manual. The component is badged "Hallicrafters 45B091A" so it more or less matches the parts list. The capacitors themselves are, of course, shown on the schematic individually, as C14A, B, C, and D. The individual ratings are 60-40-40 at 150VDC and 20 at 25VDC

(For future archivists, the date on the chassis of my radio is Oct 26, 1953.)

I have an S-38 manual, and it shows a single component and similar part number (45B091) for the four electrolytics as what was installed in my S-38C. The S-38 electrolytic cap ratings are a little different - 40-30-30 at 150VDC and 20 at 25VDC. This suggests the single component was not an S-38C Run 2 change, but at some point they changed the ratings slightly (maybe 45B091A vs 45B091).

Your capacitors have the same manufacturer (Illinois Condenser Co.) but are not marked "Hallicrafters". The ratings don't match the S-38 or my S-38C Run 2. Maybe a very early repair?

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 10:51 am 

I am sure that part backorders/changes and deviation waivers affected Hallicrafters from time to time like it affects modern manufacturing.
If it is only to be a temporary change, then it may not make it to the general service information. Only authorized factory service technicians might be informed if necessary.
A DW (deviation waiver) or EO (engineering order) can be put in place for a part substitute that the lead operations engineer agrees to without changing the version or run number. Records may be kept temporarily of the serial numbers that the DW or EO affected, but if no ill effects occur, then the records may be discarded.
If the filter cap(s) mounting strap looks like it is fastened with an untouched factory rivet, then it likely is the original. Keep replacement components and lead dress in the same position/orientation as the original if you can.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 13, 2017 3:30 am 

Thanks guys for your support and suggestions.
Someone sent me a Run 1 schematic, and it has the Single multi 60 40 40 capacitor shown, not a pair like mine. So it is not a Run 1.
Yes they are marked Illinois Condenser and do not have Hallicrafters on them. They have PART 4216 written on them.
The rivet holding the pair on does not look clean, it has a bunch of solder smeared over .
So, as you suggest, perhaps this was a very early repair back in the early 1950's ? using whatever the repair man had on hand?
The front of the radio says S38-C and the label on the bottom says S-38C and 98% of the schematic looks the same as what I have.
I guess I will get hold of 20 - 40 - 40 mfd and try and reproduce what I have here.