Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Fri 20, 2017 10:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ham AM transmitter recommendations.
PostPosted: Dec Fri 23, 2016 10:02 pm 

John, I have followed your restorations since you did an Atwater Kent on this site. I can't remember exactly when it was but I'm certain it was befor 2000. My vote is for a Heath DX-60B. I have a selfish reason. I have one of these I bought a few years back from a guy at a non-ham flea market who said it was some kind of amplifier that didn't work! Gave him 5 bucks for it and it has sat. I would love to follow one of your excellent utube restos on this set. - Don

PostPosted: Dec Sat 24, 2016 1:20 pm 

Congratulations badrestorer on landing the Viking II, which should make a fine AM/CW transmitter. Should be fun. A VFO will turn up. If you don't already have one, pick up an ARRL handbook from the 1950s.

Mike, great photos of your gear. Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 25, 2016 12:49 am 

Unfortunately the prices of the Johnson VF-122 VFO have gone crazy. eBay has driven the prices from $50-$75 to $125 and above. It is not a rare VFO and there seems to be no reason for the price increase. The Globe 155 or 155A is a great self powered VFO that is fairly rare and can be found for the same or less money.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 25, 2016 5:19 am 

Heathkit VF-1 will work fine with it too.

Terry N3GTE

PostPosted: Dec Sun 25, 2016 8:57 pm 

Plenty of VFO circuits in the ARRL Handbook if you want to home brew.

Scott Todd

PostPosted: Dec Thu 29, 2016 12:44 am 

Member selling a 122: http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=309943. Maybe he can be talked into shipping.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 5:45 pm 

Heathkit HG-10 for $50 at https://swap.qth.com/view_ad.php?counter=1305024.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 11:26 pm 

Hi John -

I've been away from the group for a while due to a move from NC to VA. Still getting unpacked and pretty much no radio gear set up (yet).

You've received about all the recommendations and advice possible for getting started in AM. Don't be too discouraged about starting with a peanut whistle rig (100w or less) - that's what I was using before packing up to move. You can operate just fine, you just need to be a little more cognizant of time of day and band you want to operate. 100 watts on 40m is a powerhouse most days, until the band goes out. In the AM Ghetto area of 75m during evening/nighttime hours you'll be lucky to be heard, much less acknowledged. Band noise alone can be a challenge there, before adding in the stations on AM or SSB.

Heathkit made some excellent gear like the DX-100 some have mentioned. The Apache TX-1 is more or less an updated version but lacks 160m. Great iron, but the one thing you need to remember with Heathkit and a lot of early Johnson gear: since most were kits, quality varies by the builder. At best you'll need to do some basic maintenance unless you buy a recently rebuilt rig.

And of course, there are a lot of good tips and articles floating around on how to "improve" audio, PTT keying, and other areas if you're so inclined.

There's a great Tech section at www.AMfone.net where you can read for days about the different rigs. Also a special section just for transmitter articles. And of course, a lot of talented folks there should you have questions. There are some especially good articles on the DX-60.

Have fun with it!

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 48 posts ]  Moderator: Sandy Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3